Contemporary Cartoons: Slang & Violence

$ecular#eckler

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2020
Transient
I do not have any children, and I have not watched any cartoons in over forty-five years. But I am following Nandi Bushell, the 12-year-old Rock and Roll prodigy from England who was recently recruited by the Cartoon Network to do some work. I was a little taken aback when I reviewed the promotional video and towards the end one of the cartoon characters said, "Yo Mama!"

So, today I was going through my YouTube feed and I decided to check out Nandi's promotional cartoon series, "Teen Titans."

The animation style is minimalist, which is my least favorite, because I want a lot of detail in the characters and background. Anyway, there is plenty of contemporary slang, and I was really surprized by the amount of violence. I remember when I was a child and the complaints about violence in Bugs Bunny and Road Runner. But there is no way that this is less acts of violence.

So, have you noticed the contemporary cartoon storylines to be out of alignment with the contemporary social virtues?

Last edited:
People love violence: look at the movies and video games.

I love violence too: casting murderous spells with my big magic mage staff in Dragon Age II is my favorite activity right now. :p

I think it's all essentially peace-making: people blowing up Ogres and Slumps with explosion spells are not out rioting and doing real killings.

New Topics

Forum List

Back