Contra/MKX

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
The development of geo-political negotiations (e.g., European Union, NATO, UN, etc.) made treaties and wars very interesting even to the layman and gave rise to the popularity of CNN!

Hollywood (USA) made war-savvy films such as Platoon and Jarhead, and of course, we discovered the war-excitement video game Contra, which pitted two special American soldiers in a foreign labyrinth of evil and martial cruelty.

During the development of this 'socio-cultural' trend on Earth, people craved for access to dialogue and expressionism, so we saw the emergence of Alfred Hitchcock films (which spoke to a new pedestrian fascination with graphic psychology), the rise in popularity of Facebook (which speaks to a pedestrian interest in 'conversation access'), and the release of the violence-theatrics video game Mortal Kombat X (abbreviated, 'MKX').

When human beings negotiate with each other, they do one of two things:
1. lead
2. follow

The retired international soccer sensation Luis Figo (Portugal) was a 'born leader' on the playing-field and was a pure executioner, while the retired international soccer sensation Diego Maradona (Argentina) was a great passer and play-making 'threader' and therefore a 'diplomat' of 'game flow' (a 'follower' of sorts).

Contra and MKX offer video game fans options to both lead and follow, with characters who are skilled and equipped and programmed to respond to a myriad of environmental challenges and circumstantial terror.

Contra
spoke to an old school interest in designing 'virtual worlds' where leadership was a keynote, while MKX speaks to a new age interest in presenting 'unfiltered realism' (or violence) where 'game flow' is really the achievement.

So as Hollywood (USA) makes war-contract intrigue-themed films such as Syriana, we can evaluate how video games (such as Contra and MKX) marketed to our youngsters offer 'socio-cultural' stimulation regarding 'civilization consciousness.'

That's why comparing Contra and MKX can yield interesting insights into the differing emerged markets in the video game universe.

What games are better on what platforms (e.g., PS vs. Xbox) is a whole other conversation...

====

SCORPION: Fighting should occur in the forest.
BILL: Maybe in the Amazon Rainforest!
SCORPION: Machetes can be weapons.
BILL: We prefer standard machine-guns.
SCORPION: The objective is to devastate your opponent.
BILL: The objective is to cage your enemy.
SCORPION: The gods guide us to power.
BILL: Democracy must be defended!
SCORPION: Violence is the new wisdom.
BILL: The real mission is to end terrorism and evil.

====

Contra

MKX

Syriana (Film)

mkx-contra2.jpg

Armageddon

I like comparing the Mortal Kombat warrior-avatar Reptile (a green-suited menace) with the anti-hero known as the Winter Soldier from the recent Captain America (Marvel Comics) film. Both Reptile and the Winter Soldier represent 'battle rapture.'

Reptile and Winter Soldier also represent pure terrorism, so understanding how the two fit can help us make symbolic 'bridge-stories,' such as,
"Reptile was the undisputed champion of the Mortal Kombat battle-rounds and tournament finale, offering the god Raiden a real medallion-standout in what would otherwise be a combat-realm ruled by the god of lightning. Reptile's secret alter-ego identity was Winter Soldier, and he would re-enter the tournament using this identity to fight Leatherface, and the stage was set for an incredible engagement between a 'transformed terrorist' and a real 'ghoulish menace'!"

This sort of 'avatar rapture' is typical of today's combat-fantasy video games, especially Mortal Kombat. I think this reflects a new age focus on graphic design and pedestrianism voyeurism.

It's why I think the old swordsmen of the past (e.g., Strider) have been replaced by the 'jungle-ninjas' of today (e.g., G.I. Joe).

====

REPTILE/WINTER-SOLDIER: We will engage in a symbolic fight.
LEATHERFACE: Aaaarrrrgggghhh!!!
REPTILE: Put down that chainsaw and fight like a man...
LEATHERFACE: Reptile!!!
REPTILE: I'm now the 'Winter Soldier.'
LEATHERFACE: Fight!!!
REPTILE: Taste my poison-juice from my mouth.
LEATHERFACE: No!!!
REPTILE: Submit to the laws of honor, Leatherface.
LEATHERFACE: No!!!
REPTILE: Do you prefer your chainsaw or your handy-dandy mini-sledgehammer?
LEATHERFACE: Sledge!!!
REPTILE: I'll melt your chainsaw with my acidic spray.
LEATHERFACE: Woo!!!

====

Reptile (Mortal Kombat Wiki)

Winter Soldier (Marvel Cinematic Universe Wiki)

reptile3-ws.jpg

Forum List

Back