Cracker Barrel Fires 73-Year-Old Veteran Who Gave Food To 'Needy' Man

Stop McD's, BurgerKing, Taco Smell too. They all have policies where one cannot have compassion.

it has ZERO to do with compassion. you can't listen to anything but your little mind at work. it is called regulations from the government. schools can't give out left over food either.

talk to your government and stop dishonestly bitching about corporations.

Really? What about companies such as Panera Bread?

Panera Feeds America's Hungry - Will You? - Mary Ann Sorrentino - Open Salon

What bakeries do with their leftovers | Sugar Buzz Chicago

you're comparing that to old fast food????

I know Taco Bell's policy is true because I know the managers. McD's manager is my current roomie. She said they have the same policy as well. But, I guess she could be lying. For what purpose, I have no clue.

Yurt, you are an idiot. Thanks for proving that.

how am i an idiot? how is giving away old fast food healthy? it is against food regs to serve such to regular customers, but you think i am idiot for agreeing with fast food that they shouldn't give it to homeless?

my good lord, how effing stupid can you be. you wouldn't eat that food. hypocrite.

Stop McD's, BurgerKing, Taco Smell too. They all have policies where one cannot have compassion.

Food like taco bell and Mc D's, unlike baked goods, have to be kept at a certain temperature once prepared. If left too long before it is sold it has to be thrown away. There's compassion then there's food poisoning. There is simply no way to keep food like that edible until the end of the day.

True. I still find it a waste though.

lmao. you are crazy. you just called me an idiot for saying the same thing.

take your meds.

your link says no such thing liar. it says the opposite:

He admits he's been written up before; two years ago for getting a fountain drink on the job and a second time for giving a cup of coffee to woman. He claims she actually paid for it.

But rules are rules. “It's a rule. They legally can do this because I did break the rule. I completely forgot about it. I am a host at Cracker Barrel with a little above minimum wage job."

If the man did not pay for the muffin himself and THEN hand it to the guy, then yeah...he was in the wrong. He should have paid for it...then put it in the bag. It was not his merchandise.

Sorry..didn't read the whole story.

Day old bread won't sell to the self righteous assholes who eat at Panera, that doesn't mean it is bad.

Lots of bakeries sell day old stuff though. There's not a market for day old burgers.

You can take a burger and put int the fridge and hungry people will be glad to eat it, even if it is a day old. The problem with that is that the health department would make them throw it away if they found them doing it, which is why companies have a policy of trashing them.

Food like taco bell and Mc D's, unlike baked goods, have to be kept at a certain temperature once prepared. If left too long before it is sold it has to be thrown away. There's compassion then there's food poisoning. There is simply no way to keep food like that edible until the end of the day.

True. I still find it a waste though.

Blame the true culprit, government.

Day old bread won't sell to the self righteous assholes who eat at Panera, that doesn't mean it is bad.

Really? Some of my best friends gather at Panera. Good food and coffee.

Do any of them ask for day old bread?

See my point, they are all self righteous pricks who think eating at Panera shows they are "socially conscious." Must be why you like them.

Last edited:
Gotta be a happy medium somewhere. Like...a local shelter gets a call twice a day to come pick up "mistakes" and food under the heat lamp too long. It would feed people who are hungry. This includes children who are also going hungry. Wouldn't take much man power to do that. I wonder how much red tape would be needed though for something so simple.

Food is donated all the time at grocery stores in cans near the entrance...and churches get donations of food as well. They are not regulated by the health department but it gets done. So why can't it happen at fast food places?

Gotta be a happy medium somewhere. Like...a local shelter gets a call twice a day to come pick up "mistakes" and food under the heat lamp too long. It would feed people who are hungry. This includes children who are also going hungry. Wouldn't take much man power to do that. I wonder how much red tape would be needed though for something so simple.

Food is donated all the time at grocery stores in cans near the entrance...and churches get donations of food as well. They are not regulated by the health department but it gets done. So why can't it happen at fast food places?

Is Cracker Barrel considered "fast food"?

I can see both possible sides. If this one homeless guy got a free muffin, what is stopping other homeless people marching in, expecting the same? If you do it for one, you have to do it for all.
Firing the guy is a bit harsh, though.

if the man did not pay for the muffin himself and then hand it to the guy, then yeah...he was in the wrong. He should have paid for it...then put it in the bag. It was not his merchandise.

Sorry..didn't read the whole story.

lol

I asked the owner of the McD's franchises in town that exact question and she lamented her ability to guarantee health standards once the food left the store. Regardless of whether the food is bought or given away, she's liable if someone gets sick from eating food that was cooked at her businesses. I asked her if I could buy a bunch of surplus stuff for a discount and she cautioned me against this idea - "then you'd be liable."

She gave me a bunch of coupon books (all good for free food) and said, "This is the best way to help. Find people that need some food give them these." It was a bunch of $5.00 coupons, about $250 worth.

I can see both possible sides. If this one homeless guy got a free muffin, what is stopping other homeless people marching in, expecting the same? If you do it for one, you have to do it for all.
Firing the guy is a bit harsh, though.

He's a vet with a past warning and a statement to make. If he's like me he got ornery.

From "Cracker Barrel"

Mr. Koblenzer has worked as a host at Cracker Barrel’s Sarasota [County] store since April 2011. During the time he was employed, he violated the Company’s policies regarding consuming food without paying or giving away free food, on five separate occasions. Mr. Koblenzer received multiple counselings and written warnings reminding him about the company’s polices and the consequences associated with violating them. On the fifth occasion, again per Company policy, Mr. Koblenzer was terminated.

I truly feel for the 73 year old man. However, stealing is stealing and, if this man had been working for my company, I would not have hesitated to terminate him in light of his personnel record of repeatedly taking food without paying for it.

Like it or not - "re-distribution" of company resources will likely get you fired any day.

Sadly - and it's killing me to do so - I have to say that Cracker Barrel was probably right in this instance.

If this had been Joe's first violation of company policy, I probably would have been working the other side of the street on this one.

But it was not his first conscious and deliberate violation of company policy.

Joe was counseled and written up five (5) times for such things.

According to company policy, five strikes and you're out.

Fairly generous five-strike policy, by today's standards.

Methinks Joe decided to use his job to make a statement.

He was successful in making that statement.

The statement, however, came at a price, which Joe has now paid.

I hope it was worth it, in Joe's mind.

My veteran status and my sympathies for both the homeless guy and Joe notwithstanding.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back