Cracker Barrel Fires 73-Year-Old Veteran Who Gave Food To 'Needy' Man

Gotta be a happy medium somewhere. Like...a local shelter gets a call twice a day to come pick up "mistakes" and food under the heat lamp too long. It would feed people who are hungry. This includes children who are also going hungry. Wouldn't take much man power to do that. I wonder how much red tape would be needed though for something so simple.

Foxwoods used to do that: every night, the leftovers from the big buffet & other restaurants went to a local homeless shelter. The state made them stop doing it.

I like having breakfast at Cracker Barrel.

Good food at a reasonable price. . :cool:

Gotta be a happy medium somewhere. Like...a local shelter gets a call twice a day to come pick up "mistakes" and food under the heat lamp too long. It would feed people who are hungry. This includes children who are also going hungry. Wouldn't take much man power to do that. I wonder how much red tape would be needed though for something so simple.

Food is donated all the time at grocery stores in cans near the entrance...and churches get donations of food as well. They are not regulated by the health department but it gets done. So why can't it happen at fast food places?

Packaged food has not been exposed to air and bacteria. All it would take is one homeless person, poor and hungry, to get a couple of million dollars in a tainted food lawsuit to change the policy usually nationwide.

I like having breakfast at Cracker Barrel.

Good food at a reasonable price. . :cool:

I will continue enjoying the food there as well. Cracker Barrel did nothing wrong. This nonsense of painting people out to be "Robin Hood" because they give someone a cookie or biscuit or whatever needs to stop. Stealing is stealing.

Food is donated all the time at grocery stores in cans near the entrance...and churches get donations of food as well. They are not regulated by the health department but it gets done. So why can't it happen at fast food places?

Packaged food has not been exposed to air and bacteria. All it would take is one homeless person, poor and hungry, to get a couple of million dollars in a tainted food lawsuit to change the policy usually nationwide.

Indeed. At my last job (A large Grocery Wholesaler), the member stores would routinely give day old bread, donuts etc to the local homeless shelters - all in all a good deal. That is until the same shelters were threatened with lawsuits by the board of health. They had no choice but to discontinue accepting those donations.

Instead our company began a partnership with "Feed the Children" an Oklahoma based organization that provides help for the poor. Their trucks would come to our place, receive as many pallets of food as we had and then deliver it to shelters around the Midwest and the South.

So, in spite of what the Nazi Left would have you believe, big corporations (at least the one I worked for) did their part to help out. To the tune of over 8 million dollars a year.

article-2671019-1F2759BD00000578-463_634x338.jpg

A 73-year-old Vietnam veteran was fired from a Cracker Barrel earlier this month after giving a corn muffin to a man he thought looked homeless.

Earlier this month, Joe Koblenzer was working his shift at a Cracker Barrel in Venice, Florida, when a man walked in and asked if he could have some condiments. Koblenzer loaded a few packets into a bag and added a corn muffin as well.

"He looked a little needy. He asked if I had any mayonnaise and some tarter sauce," Koblenzer told ABC local affiliate WWSB. "He said he was going to cook a fish. ... I got it for him. As I walked out I put a corn muffin in."

Not long after, Koblenzer was let go from his job.

MORE: Cracker Barrel Fires 73-Year-Old Veteran Who Gave Food To 'Needy' Man

Florida veteran, 73, loses his job at Cracker Barrel for giving a muffin to a homeless man | Mail Online

I realize something like this could get out of hand, but I don't think anyone should be fired for such inexpensive good will.
Indeed No More Cracker Barrel for me and MANY others! One just has to wonder what would Jesus say being that He urged all others to be more giving and to help their fellow man. This is a truly sad story. I hope the gentleman, who looks very kind, gets rehired elsewhere where the company has a bigger heart and doesn't look first to its corporate profits as being exclusively number one.

A 73-year-old Vietnam veteran was fired from a Cracker Barrel earlier this month after giving a corn muffin to a man he thought looked homeless.

Earlier this month, Joe Koblenzer was working his shift at a Cracker Barrel in Venice, Florida, when a man walked in and asked if he could have some condiments. Koblenzer loaded a few packets into a bag and added a corn muffin as well.

"He looked a little needy. He asked if I had any mayonnaise and some tarter sauce," Koblenzer told ABC local affiliate WWSB. "He said he was going to cook a fish. ... I got it for him. As I walked out I put a corn muffin in."

Florida veteran, 73, loses his job at Cracker Barrel for giving a muffin to a homeless man | Mail Online

I realize something like this could get out of hand, but I don't think anyone should be fired for such inexpensive good will.
Indeed No More Cracker Barrel for me and MANY others! One just has to wonder what would Jesus say being that He urged all others to be more giving and to help their fellow man. This is a truly sad story. I hope the gentleman, who looks very kind, gets rehired elsewhere where the company has a bigger heart and doesn't look first to its corporate profits as being exclusively number one.

Jesus man wake up. Oh well....leaves more country fried steak for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
The man had given away food that didn't belong to him away before. This is like the girl who worked at a restaurant and gave food away. Sorry but you cannot give your employer's property away. This guy had done it once and gotten a warning. The warning didn't work. Unfortunately he deserved to be fired.
When all a company can see is corporate profits and not have a heart big enough to help those in need, despite their obvious wealth, they don't deserve to stay in business.

The man had given away food that didn't belong to him away before. This is like the girl who worked at a restaurant and gave food away. Sorry but you cannot give your employer's property away. This guy had done it once and gotten a warning. The warning didn't work. Unfortunately he deserved to be fired.
When all a company can see is corporate profits and not have a heart big enough to help those in need, despite their obvious wealth, they don't deserve to stay in business.

Seriously, what the HELL do you want from corporations? Exactly WHAT? Should they give their profits to the poor?

Did you happen to notice that Cracker Barrel - like most other large corporations gives MILLIONS to charities each year!?!? What MORE do you want?

You Robin Hood fuckers piss me off. How much did YOU give to charity last year?

Indeed. At my last job (A large Grocery Wholesaler), the member stores would routinely give day old bread, donuts etc to the local homeless shelters - all in all a good deal. That is until the same shelters were threatened with lawsuits by the board of health. They had no choice but to discontinue accepting those donations.

Instead our company began a partnership with "Feed the Children" an Oklahoma based organization that provides help for the poor. Their trucks would come to our place, receive as many pallets of food as we had and then deliver it to shelters around the Midwest and the South.

So, in spite of what the Nazi Left would have you believe, big corporations (at least the one I worked for) did their part to help out. To the tune of over 8 million dollars a year.

broken record boi says what?

Its a liability issue son :eusa_hand:

Seriously, what the HELL do you want from corporations? Exactly WHAT? Should they give their profits to the poor?

Did you happen to notice that Cracker Barrel - like most other large corporations gives MILLIONS to charities each year!?!? What MORE do you want?

You Robin Hood fuckers piss me off. How much did YOU give to charity last year?

He didn't notice the hundreds of millions they gave away in charity. He and Lakota are forging on with their private enterprise hate.

broken record boi says what?

Its a liability issue son :eusa_hand:

No shit Sherlock. Do yourself a favor - get the hell out of a conversation that you don't follow Nazi.

When Jesus told others to help the needy he meant with their own stuff not steal it from someone else. Jesus never told his followers to be thieves.

When Jesus told others to help the needy he meant with their own stuff not steal it from someone else. Jesus never told his followers to be thieves.

Sorry that will not compute to the far left posters on this board.

I agree with a previous poster that, more than likely, they were looking for a reason to get rid of a 73 year old employee. I've seen this sort of thing all my life. I am 69, and the chances of anyone hiring me to do anything is virtually nil.

What's sad is a 73 year old still has to work. That's fucking sad. A veteran at that..what the hell happened to taking care of our elderly?

By "taking care", what exactly do you mean? I'm 70. I receive two pensions and Social Security. I took care of MYSELF years ago. Unfortunately, many of today's elderly have SS and that's about it. Life's tough.

On the other hand - many elderly CHOOSE to continue working to supplement their monthly income. There is no reason why this man couldn't still be working at this job if he was physically able.

His problem was that he didn't know how to follow simple rules. He was counseled 5 (count 'em) 5 times for stealing. Yet he continued. And he was fired. End of story.

I have no pity for him. as a veteran myself, he should know how to follow a simple SOP.

BINGO! It really is just that simple.

Forum List

Back