Cracker Barrel Fires 73-Year-Old Veteran Who Gave Food To 'Needy' Man

I agree with a previous poster that, more than likely, they were looking for a reason to get rid of a 73 year old employee. I've seen this sort of thing all my life. I am 69, and the chances of anyone hiring me to do anything is virtually nil.

Actually, it happens all the time. However, Cracker Barrel isn't one of those companies. I have eaten at their restaurants all over the US and always see the elderly working at their places. Nope. This is a clear cut case of being caught 5 times (stealing) and fired. There is no "underlying" motive here.

Last edited:
What's sad is a 73 year old still has to work. That's fucking sad. A veteran at that..what the hell happened to taking care of our elderly?
Exactly! What has happened in this country that someone who is old still has to work instead of enjoying the rest of their golden years in retirement? I hope and pray that this kind gentleman can receive the assistance that he is truly worthy of getting or that he will soon find a new job with a good Christian company that will not mistreat him as the last one did and instead commend him for his big heart and for following what God would obviously want for him to do.

I agree with a previous poster that, more than likely, they were looking for a reason to get rid of a 73 year old employee. I've seen this sort of thing all my life. I am 69, and the chances of anyone hiring me to do anything is virtually nil.

Actually, it happens all the time. However, Cracker Barrel isn't one of those companies. I have eaten at their restaurants all over the US and always see the elderly working at their places. Nope. This is a clear cut case of being caught 5 times (stealing) and fired. There is no "underlying" motive here.

Maybe they fired him because he is a NAZIE...

Maybe they fired him because he is a NAZIE...

possibly.....No, I believe that they fired him because he is a THIEF.

Well, Go do something about it.

It's from hufferpufferpost so who knows if it's true
Stephanie,

Your implicitly defaming criticism of Huffington post is a bit out of line. While it is a leftist-oriented source, can you offer any evidence that it publishes false information?

article-2671019-1F2759BD00000578-463_634x338.jpg

A 73-year-old Vietnam veteran was fired from a Cracker Barrel earlier this month after giving a corn muffin to a man he thought looked homeless.

Earlier this month, Joe Koblenzer was working his shift at a Cracker Barrel in Venice, Florida, when a man walked in and asked if he could have some condiments. Koblenzer loaded a few packets into a bag and added a corn muffin as well.

"He looked a little needy. He asked if I had any mayonnaise and some tarter sauce," Koblenzer told ABC local affiliate WWSB. "He said he was going to cook a fish. ... I got it for him. As I walked out I put a corn muffin in."

Not long after, Koblenzer was let go from his job.

MORE: Cracker Barrel Fires 73-Year-Old Veteran Who Gave Food To 'Needy' Man

Florida veteran, 73, loses his job at Cracker Barrel for giving a muffin to a homeless man | Mail Online

I realize something like this could get out of hand, but I don't think anyone should be fired for such inexpensive good will.

Well, for one thing, it's the principle of the thing: The man had no right to be generous with property that was not his to give away. Sorry, but a restaurant employee can't just hand out free food just because he thinks someone looks needy. The food is not his to give away.

Now, that said, the punishment does seem a bit harsh--unless this was not the first time the guy had given away food. If this was his first offense, then I would agree that firing him was a bit harsh.

article-2671019-1F2759BD00000578-463_634x338.jpg

A 73-year-old Vietnam veteran was fired from a Cracker Barrel earlier this month after giving a corn muffin to a man he thought looked homeless.

Earlier this month, Joe Koblenzer was working his shift at a Cracker Barrel in Venice, Florida, when a man walked in and asked if he could have some condiments. Koblenzer loaded a few packets into a bag and added a corn muffin as well.

"He looked a little needy. He asked if I had any mayonnaise and some tarter sauce," Koblenzer told ABC local affiliate WWSB. "He said he was going to cook a fish. ... I got it for him. As I walked out I put a corn muffin in."

Not long after, Koblenzer was let go from his job.

MORE: Cracker Barrel Fires 73-Year-Old Veteran Who Gave Food To 'Needy' Man

Florida veteran, 73, loses his job at Cracker Barrel for giving a muffin to a homeless man | Mail Online

I realize something like this could get out of hand, but I don't think anyone should be fired for such inexpensive good will.

Well, for one thing, it's the principle of the thing: The man had no right to be generous with property that was not his to give away. Sorry, but a restaurant employee can't just hand out free food just because he thinks someone looks needy. The food is not his to give away.

Now, that said, the punishment does seem a bit harsh--unless this was not the first time the guy had given away food. If this was his first offense, then I would agree that firing him was a bit harsh.

It was not his "first" offense - it was his FIFTH offense.

Um...I don't have a blind hatred for corporations, QW. You should know better than that.

I worked at a taco bell long long ago and they made staff weigh the food. When I asked why it was not donated they said it was against company policy. And maybe franchize owners have their own policies because my roomie said they cannot give out ANY food. And I am talking about, for example, a burrito that has onions on it when the customer ordered no onions. It is a perfectly good burrito, made incorrectly, and in the weigh bucket it goes.

There is no hatred but there is sadness that food like that goes to waste when some folks are digging in trash cans.
The fast-food industry believes its customer category ranges from the low-income level downward to the poor and the indigent. In accordance with the pecuniary disposition of all corporations their reasoning is every pound of fast-food charitably dispensed will result in loss of at least a half-pound of sales -- which probably is true.

The formula for that reasoning is the economic level at which those who are barely able to afford a Big Mac for dinner will either beg for or somehow squeeze out the two bucks it costs. But if a charitable Big Mac is made available to this category the incentive to buy it is eliminated.

Why pay for something which is available free? So -- no free corn muffins!

Go apply for a job as a greeter at Wal Mart. As long as you aren't the smug asshole you play here you'll get hired when they have an opening.

Shove your ageism up your ass, your generation of middle management is the reason why we have so many problems now.

Go apply for a job as a greeter at Wal Mart. As long as you aren't the smug asshole you play here you'll get hired when they have an opening.

Shove your ageism up your ass, your generation of middle management is the reason why we have so many problems now.

Um...he is not wrong. Being 62 and competing with college students makes it extremely difficult to find work. Bubble blonde college students that don't mind minimum wage against someone with years of experience under their belt that also would take minimum wage...who are they going to hire? The bimbo.

What's sad is a 73 year old still has to work. That's fucking sad. A veteran at that..what the hell happened to taking care of our elderly?

Why is that sad? The elderly may not want to be sent someplace where they can wait to die. Or should only the very rich be allowed to work? Clint Eastwood is in his 80s and puts in a full day. Larry Hagman in his 80s died on the job. 66 year old Mitt Romney just started a new job as CEO of another company. I work.

Just because someone is older doesn't mean they get thrown out the back door. It's a shame that we relegate older people to television and bingo games.

Um...he is not wrong. Being 62 and competing with college students makes it extremely difficult to find work. Bubble blonde college students that don't mind minimum wage against someone with years of experience under their belt that also would take minimum wage...who are they going to hire? The bimbo.

I understand the deal. No one is going to hire a 60-plus person in a career field. No one is. NOR SHOULD THEY. The labor market is about a continuum. Youth gets the "career jobs". If a person - ANY person has waited until he is in his sixties to begin looking for a good paying, full time job - they are screwed.

Working at a Cracker Barrel is HARDLY a career choice. It is sit-down fast food. Young people who start out as servers, cooks or whatever have the opportunity for advancement but the best you might expect is Store Manager or perhaps a regional director position - both decent jobs. And, if you are lucky, you "might" end up outside Nashville at the corporate offices.

Frankly, there are easier ways to advance in a career position.

However, if you are 60 years old or older - you have NO CHANCE at advancement. And that is the way it SHOULD be. A corporation invests a great deal of time and money in the employee - they expect a return on that investment - not a dead man in the storeroom.

Why is that sad? The elderly may not want to be sent someplace where they can wait to die. Or should only the very rich be allowed to work? Clint Eastwood is in his 80s and puts in a full day. Larry Hagman in his 80s died on the job. 66 year old Mitt Romney just started a new job as CEO of another company. I work.

Just because someone is older doesn't mean they get thrown out the back door. It's a shame that we relegate older people to television and bingo games.

One thing I have learned (as a man of 70) is that I am supposed to "get out of the way" and let the youngbloods take over. Frankly, I have yet to find a young person in the last 30 years who is man enough to bale hay, run cattle or ride fences, but so be it. :D

Not as a Wal Mart greeter nor as a golf course ranger.

He is a thief...he stole twice before. The veteran sympathy card is nonsense.

We all know deep down that it ain't about a muffin and a homeless man. In times like these you have to realize that propaganda outlets like Media Matters have unlimited resources (and are tax exempt) and they work 24/7 to supply left wing blogs with outrage. Cracker Barrel has been a target of the homosexual lobby for years and you gotta admire Cracker Barrel for not having an issue that the radical left could pounce on all this time. If you are on the road and want to stop for breakfast or any other meal you can't beat the food, the service and the courtesy of the Cracker Barrel people.

One thing I have learned (as a man of 70) is that I am supposed to "get out of the way" and let the youngbloods take over. Frankly, I have yet to find a young person in the last 30 years who is man enough to bale hay, run cattle or ride fences, but so be it. :D

If you have ever noticed, the very rich never retire. The best that could be said is they retire from one career and start another. Barbara Walters was just forcibly retired and hasn't gone anywhere. She's gone right back to interviewing for someone else.

By "taking care", what exactly do you mean? I'm 70. I receive two pensions and Social Security. I took care of MYSELF years ago. Unfortunately, many of today's elderly have SS and that's about it. Life's tough.

On the other hand - many elderly CHOOSE to continue working to supplement their monthly income. There is no reason why this man couldn't still be working at this job if he was physically able.

His problem was that he didn't know how to follow simple rules. He was counseled 5 (count 'em) 5 times for stealing. Yet he continued. And he was fired. End of story.

I have no pity for him. as a veteran myself, he should know how to follow a simple SOP.

So? You're still a Nazi [MENTION=41494]RandallFlagg[/MENTION]

As to the OP, the old geezer stole from a for-profit co. You'd think conservatives would be calling for his head.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back