Cruising to Greece

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have just scheduled a Viking cruise that will have me traveling around Greece, mainly with tour groups of geezers like me, of course. But I will be doing some independent exploring with my wife.

I just took a look at some street views of a couple cities in Greece, and it appears that the locals - men - DO NOT wear shorts when walking about. I always wear shorts in the summer time. I obviously do not look like a Greek, but the question is, would I look like a complete dick if I'm wearing shorts? Will the locals abuse me with higher prices, etc.?

I have just scheduled a Viking cruise that will have me traveling around Greece, mainly with tour groups of geezers like me, of course. But I will be doing some independent exploring with my wife.

I just took a look at some street views of a couple cities in Greece, and it appears that the locals - men - DO NOT wear shorts when walking about. I always wear shorts in the summer time. I obviously do not look like a Greek, but the question is, would I look like a complete dick if I'm wearing shorts? Will the locals abuse me with higher prices, etc.?
I wouldn’t worry about it
You are not going to pass for Greek anyway.

If you act like an asshole, they will treat you like one.

I wore shorts

I wouldn’t worry about it
You are not going to pass for Greek anyway.

If you act like an asshole, they will treat you like one.

I wore shorts
But the shorts weren't why they treated you like an asshole, right? Doubtless, that was your point.
What I found in Europe and other international destinations was that if you have $$$$ to spend, you will be well treated

Interestingly, videos of Malta indicate lots of men in shorts. Of course, Malta is a completely different proposition.

Just wear black socks with your shorts and they'll think you're German!

If you find antiques that you want make sure you deal with a man, the women are hard as nails and won't negotiate.

The men will.

Why would a grown man wear short pants unless playing sports?

Malta and cruise update: We are now on the ship in Malta. Many, many locals wearing shorts; it's 100 degrees.

But the interestinger thing is the cruise. Both Malta and Greece are in the figurative "Red Zone," so we cannot interact with the locals. No stores, no churches, no museums, none of it. The tours are "in a bubble" so to speak. We are required to wear our masks at all times when out of our rooms except when eating or drinking. They are not vigorously enforcing the rule, but they are making it known in a hundred different ways. The port itself is locked down, so even if you manage to get off the ship, you can't walk into town.

We have to provide a spit sample every morning, and are tested for temperature occasionally throughout the day while on the ship.

This is the ship's THIRD cruise since the worst of Covid (we think). It has a capacity of 950 souls. First cruise had 200 people, the second one around 180, and we have 400 or a little more. Several couples are carryovers from the last one. Viking gives a good discount for doubling up, apparently. The ship apparently has a full crew on board, which leaves dozens of them in uniform around the ship, asking if there is anything they can do to make our cruise more pleasant. I could do without that.

We probably would not have signed up had we known how restricted this cruise would be, but still, we are in a beautiful part of the world and it is a nice break from what's going on at home.

Long pants and collared shirts are required for dinner, regardless of which food venue you choose - even the pool. I doubt that they will enforce that one.

They are sort-of promoting eating in your room rather than in the restaurants - making it attractive with a menu that is just as posh as in the restaurants.

Strange cruise, but it was a good price. Tomorrow is a "sea day" as we motor on over to Greece.

Malta and cruise update: We are now on the ship in Malta. Many, many locals wearing shorts; it's 100 degrees.

But the interestinger thing is the cruise. Both Malta and Greece are in the figurative "Red Zone," so we cannot interact with the locals. No stores, no churches, no museums, none of it. The tours are "in a bubble" so to speak. We are required to wear our masks at all times when out of our rooms except when eating or drinking. They are not vigorously enforcing the rule, but they are making it known in a hundred different ways. The port itself is locked down, so even if you manage to get off the ship, you can't walk into town.

We have to provide a spit sample every morning, and are tested for temperature occasionally throughout the day while on the ship.

This is the ship's THIRD cruise since the worst of Covid (we think). It has a capacity of 950 souls. First cruise had 200 people, the second one around 180, and we have 400 or a little more. Several couples are carryovers from the last one. Viking gives a good discount for doubling up, apparently. The ship apparently has a full crew on board, which leaves dozens of them in uniform around the ship, asking if there is anything they can do to make our cruise more pleasant. I could do without that.

We probably would not have signed up had we known how restricted this cruise would be, but still, we are in a beautiful part of the world and it is a nice break from what's going on at home.

Long pants and collared shirts are required for dinner, regardless of which food venue you choose - even the pool. I doubt that they will enforce that one.

They are sort-of promoting eating in your room rather than in the restaurants - making it attractive with a menu that is just as posh as in the restaurants.

Strange cruise, but it was a good price. Tomorrow is a "sea day" as we motor on over to Greece.
Are you going to Santorini?
It is the most beautiful island, spectacular

Santorini is Friday, August 6th.

We did a bus tour of Valetta/Malta today. The island is not very big and population is around 550,000, according to the tourguide. We were basically in a bubble, with almost no interaction with locals, except a few in the tourist trade.

Hot as hell. They tell us it's 99 degrees, but I think that is a lie, done to hide the shock of a three- digit day. But of course, if we were in Arizona (or most places in the Southeast U.S.) it would be just as hot.

when you get to greece dont bend over in a crowd of men.....

The Covid constraints are quite burdensome. When we are out and about on a tour ("excursion") we are not permitted to interact with the locals in any way. We walk by shops, want to buy souveniers for the grandkids, and are told, "NO, can't do it." No interaction. We can barely interact with the other passengers, all of whom are vaccinated and tested every day.

I would not have signed up for this cruise had I known how ridiculous it would be. And that's assuming I don't run into any shit in customs at Newark on the way home.

Home now, and have arranged for a Covid test to reassure my son that I am not a carrier, and can see the grandkids.

It appears that the cruise was a Covid-successful one...no "cases" reported during the cruise, with testing done every day but the final one.

Equal to the Covid restrictions were the weather conditions. Temperatures hovering around 100degrees F the whole time. I'm not sure when is the best time to visit Malta and Greece - maybe October - but August was a poor choice.

Rhodes was the most memorable city for us, although the restrictions may not have allowed us to give Athens a chance.

Wow... I just noticed this thread. I admire your courage in taking the cruise. I don't fear Covid nearly as much as getting the shits from a norovirus... We went to Alaska back in the 90s and it was awesome but it will probably also be the only cruise I ever take unless they can guarantee against bugs like that.

Forum List

Back