Cutting taxes sounds great till

I'd have to say the Clinton administration. I think I was fortunate to have gone to college and started my career during the Clinton years.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Way too young for Truman, even though he was one funny and complicated man and an interesting president. While I was a child during Ike's presidency, I'd have to say Eisenhower and LBJ are tops. Eisenhower because he had the good sense and experience not to follow the war mongers and corporate powers. LBJ because he genuinely tried to raise the boat for all people, and accomplished some amazing legislation.

Worst is Reagan, as he inadvertently started the decline of the working class and America with his idiocy about government (see sig) and militant stupidity. Ideas have power. Reagan did what presidents as far back as Jefferson and Lincoln warned, he allowed corporations to control policy. Bush Jr, who will probably go down in history as the purposely worst, was only possible because of the media thought control and corporatist propaganda Reagan started.

"President Eisenhower describes his administration's political philosophy as 'dynamic conservatism,' then as 'progressive, dynamic conservatism,' then as 'progressive moderation,' then as 'moderate progressivism,' and then as 'positive progressivism.'" William Manchester in "The Glory and the Dream'

The Reagan administration, with the help of Democrats in Congress, lowered the tax rate on the very rich to 50 percent and in 1986 a coalition of Republicans and Democrats sponsored another "tax reform" bill that lowered the top rate to 28 percent. Barlett and Steele noted that a schoolteacher, a factory worker, and a billionaire could all pay 28 percent. The idea of a "progressive" income in which the rich paid at higher rates than everyone else was now almost dead." from Howard Zinn 'A People's History of the United States"

See. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Hands-Making-Conservative-Movement/dp/0393059308/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247845984&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Invisible Hands: The Making of the Conservative Movement from the New Deal to Reagan (9780393059304): Kim Phillips-Fein: Books[/ame] "Historian Phillips-Fein traces the hidden history of the Reagan revolution to a coterie of business executives, including General Electric official and Reagan mentor Lemuel Boulware, who saw labor unions, government regulation, high taxes and welfare spending as dire threats to their profits and power. From the 1930s onward, the author argues, they provided the money, organization and fervor for a decades-long war against New Deal liberalism—funding campaigns, think tanks, magazines and lobbying groups, and indoctrinating employees in the virtues of unfettered capitalism."

"....there's a growing realization that the starting point for many of the catastrophes confronting the United States today can be traced to Reagan's presidency. There's also a grudging reassessment that the "failed"- presidents of the 1970s--Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter--may deserve more credit for trying to grapple with the problems that now beset the country." OpEdNews - Article: Ronald Reagan: Worst President Ever?

Bill Clinton was the best during my lifetime. But had Nixon not allowed his paranoia and other issues to cause him to implode, i think he'd have been considered the best.

Reagan did huge damage to this country because he set into motion the lunacy that exists now. (him and lee atwater).

I'd have to say the Clinton administration. I think I was fortunate to have gone to college and started my career during the Clinton years.

This describes my situation as well and I have the same opinion. Things got a bit sullied here and there, but overall, I think Clinton did a great job.

Like most folks, my lifetime has been dominated by Republicans. I disagreed with Clinton early and often, but he was surely the best president from LBJ to Bush.

LBJ's domestic policies were great, but he'll never be able to crawl out from under Vietnam. It's a sad stain on his presidency, and Nixons as well.

President Bill Clinton was probably the best during my lifetime. I base this on how well I did economically during his tenure and the dramatic change in New York City in general. The worst of course was George W. Bush..followed by that treasonous bastard, Ronald Reagan. Both Presidents moved this country further into become a third world country with a big military. And I was able to see very real economic declines in New York City while both guys were President.

Clinton by far....Reagan looks good on the surface and then you start looking at some of the stuff DURING his administration and what his administration set off....Iran-Contra, the Lebanon bombing, Illegal amnesty, corporate greed in control, his losing mental control at the end......not good.

Like most folks, my lifetime has been dominated by Republicans. I disagreed with Clinton early and often, but he was surely the best president from LBJ to Bush.

LBJ's domestic policies were great, but he'll never be able to crawl out from under Vietnam. It's a sad stain on his presidency, and Nixons as well.

I hold LBJ as one of the worst because of Vietnam. However Nixon has so much stuff to chose from.

Clinton by far....Reagan looks good on the surface and then you start looking at some of the stuff DURING his administration and what his administration set off....Iran-Contra, the Lebanon bombing, Illegal amnesty, corporate greed in control, his losing mental control at the end......not good.

No one ever seems to link the fact that in Iran contra we were selling weapons to the very people who backed the blowing up of the Beiruit barracks.

I hold LBJ as one of the worst because of Vietnam. However Nixon has so much stuff to chose from.

That's the problem with LBJ. Despite all of the domestic policies I'd support, it's hard to look past 25,000 needless American deaths on his watch.

Nixon, of course, had a secret plan to end that war. Little did we know his secret plan was to wait five years and kill 25,000 more people then declare victory and get the fuck out.

actually, Clinton was the best, in my opinion, he got me VA helth care. he Place some of the tax burden on the wealthy, he created jobs. Pussy Bushes did not, and neither did the republicans in Power, when they were, Look at the new "Polici" leader. No jobs , short sighted whine-babby

Forum List

Back