Death of Democracy: Gerrymandering is Democracy

citygator

Posting From Hunters Laptop
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2019
Charlotte
This isn’t just an issue of GOP abuse, as similar issues happen in blue states but they are making it into an art in NC. There needs to be a constitutional amendment to state constitutions on this. No one can be happy with where we are.

NC can go ahead with political maps, court rules in win for GOP ahead of 2022 midterms

1641993365286.png

“Redistricting and the political considerations that are part of that process do not impinge on the right to vote,” they wrote. “Nothing about redistricting affects a person’s right to cast a vote.”

The challengers immediately announced Tuesday that they plan to appeal the ruling. It’s possible that it could go straight to the Supreme Court, which has a Democratic majority.

The three superior court judges who ruled Tuesday were two Republicans, Wake County Judge Graham Shirley and Catawba County Judge Nathaniel Poovey, and one Democrat, Anson County Judge Dawn Layton.

Their ruling upheld both the congressional map — which is expected to among North Carolina’s 14 U.S. House of Representatives seats in a 50-50 election — and the maps for state legislature, which are expected to produce strong Republican majorities even if Democrats winthe majority of the vote.

Redistricting in my state was sort of a wash. My little county faired better as now it's only splint two ways instead of three on the state level and taken in whole by the 6th US Congressional district instead of being in two Congressional districts like it was.

As far as NC goes till they get shed of the Jim Crow era pistol permit law (you need CLEO sigh-off before buying a handgun) what else they do is not much of a much to me.

This isn’t just an issue of GOP abuse, as similar issues happen in blue states but they are making it into an art in NC. There needs to be a constitutional amendment to state constitutions on this. No one can be happy with where we are.

NC can go ahead with political maps, court rules in win for GOP ahead of 2022 midterms

View attachment 586924
“Redistricting and the political considerations that are part of that process do not impinge on the right to vote,” they wrote. “Nothing about redistricting affects a person’s right to cast a vote.”

The challengers immediately announced Tuesday that they plan to appeal the ruling. It’s possible that it could go straight to the Supreme Court, which has a Democratic majority.

The three superior court judges who ruled Tuesday were two Republicans, Wake County Judge Graham Shirley and Catawba County Judge Nathaniel Poovey, and one Democrat, Anson County Judge Dawn Layton.

Their ruling upheld both the congressional map — which is expected to among North Carolina’s 14 U.S. House of Representatives seats in a 50-50 election — and the maps for state legislature, which are expected to produce strong Republican majorities even if Democrats winthe majority of the vote.
Translation: it's only kosher when my team does it.

Really?

Then why aren't you bellyaching about what's going on in California, Illinois, and Maryland, where gerrymandering is being used to make republicans pretty much extinct in those states?
This was a ruling saying what everyone is doing is legal. That’s why I used it. They basically said gerrymandering is democracy in action. Even the Democrat Judge agreed. All, including the Pub Judges, basically said they hate they have to rule this way. It’s a blind spot in democracy.

This was a ruling saying what everyone is doing is legal. That’s why I used it. They basically said gerrymandering is democracy in action. Even the Democrat Judge agreed. All, including the Pub Judges, basically said they hate they have to rule this way. It’s a blind spot in democracy.
there are a ton of them.

the issue to me is the dems bitch when others do and attack when you say they do.

the open hypocrisy makes this, so difficult to deal with.

there are a ton of them.

the issue to me is the dems bitch when others do and attack when you say they do.

So, you do not have an issue with the Repubs bitch when others do and attack when you say they do?

View attachment 586924

There needs to be a constitutional amendment.

There needs to be a constitutional amendment.
I don't like it when either side does it unscrupulously, but yes, I think both sides do it. Constitutional amendment about anything period, is a pie in the sky wet dream. In this political climate, you can forget it. Even in the best of political times when both sides even give a damn about preserving the union, it is the slowest method of getting legislation enacted. In these times where one side would like to keep the country under the same form of government we've had and a huge chunk of the opposing side, is either for dramatic permanent change to a top down winner take all form or would be willing to go along with it, if the leadership with the correct letter in front of their name said we should go along with the crap shoot, don't count on seeing it. But don't worry, you won't see one get out of a committee in our lifetime.

View attachment 586924

Gerrymandering: it's only cool when democrats are in the majority

I don’t have a problem with it, so long as it’s not violating the Constitution.

Neither party should benefit from gerrymandering.

Period

Democrats have two problems with gerrymandering: First, they tend to live in clusters in big cities and around college campuses, and in those little enclaves they hold huge majorities. This is a disadvantage state-wide, because their votes can be confined - quite reasonably - to a relatively few districts, while a greater number of districts can be controlled by slight majorities of Republicans. The result is that a state having a majority of Democrats can still have Republicans controlling more voting districts.

The second problem is that the science of gerrymandering is improving every year, and Republicans have been able to be better at it than Democrats ever were. And don't let any Democrat say that this is a Republican thing; Democrats do it wherever possible.

there are a ton of them.

I was pretty straightforward with my criticism but you didn’t give me an consideration. Practice what you preach and see if it makes a difference.

Democrats have two problems with gerrymandering: First, they tend to live in clusters in big cities and around college campuses, and in those little enclaves they hold huge majorities. This is a disadvantage state-wide, because their votes can be confined - quite reasonably - to a relatively few districts, while a greater number of districts can be controlled by slight majorities of Republicans. The result is that a state having a majority of Democrats can still have Republicans controlling more voting districts.

The second problem is that the science of gerrymandering is improving every year, and Republicans have been able to be better at it than Democrats ever were. And don't let any Democrat say that this is a Republican thing; Democrats do it wherever possible.
I think the urban aspect makes it even more silly for GOP cuz they have to draw these lines that dip into slivers of cities to break them up so instead of an urban area getting 3 full reps they get one and dilute the other two with huge tracks of rural areas.

I believe it was named after a democrat, back when they were still an American party

That’s exactly the opposite of what I typed. Good luck with your reading comprehension deformity.

It's the end result of your issues. Any attempt to make a "neutral" system will always result in the side making it trying to sneak in their own advantage. It's human nature.

Better to keep it as a political hack job, but a transparent political hack job for all to see.

So, you do not have an issue with the Repubs bitch when others do and attack when you say they do?
i don't hear the repubs bitch nearly as much. but odd, you seem to assume my viewpoints go into some attack mode before finding out if i do or do not.

WHATEVER THE PROBLEM IS - resolve it and play by the same set of rules and stop "Tweaking" them constantly for ANY ONE SIDES FAVOR.

so since you wish to, as usual, be confrontational, answer me this -

show me any time the R's decried that an agreed upon rule is KILLING DEMOCRACY - in this case, the filibuster.

when trump was president, they used it 314 times. in 2005 they claimed without we'd be a banana republic. now it must go or democracy dies.

now, if you can show me something the R's are doing that is nearly as openly hypocratic, im in to say BAD REPUBLICANS. i just don't know of any examples offhand.

but feel free to show me.

Forum List

Back