Discovery of a new species of flower trapped in amber 100 million years ago

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
The flower described here as Zygadelphus aetheus gen. et sp. nov. was obtained from amber mines in Myanmar, preserved in marine sedimentary deposits dating to the mid-Cretaceous Period.The perianth consists of ca. 10 spirally arranged tepals that vary in size and shape. The stigmatic tips of two styles are visible, the remainder of the gynoecium being hidden from view by the crowding of stamens and perianth parts toward the center of the flower.

1609854968489.png

1609855018702.png

https://journals.brit.org/jbrit/article/view/799

Découverte d'une nouvelle espèce de fleur piégée dans l'ambre il y a 100 millions d'années

The flower described here as Zygadelphus aetheus gen. et sp. nov. was obtained from amber mines in Myanmar, preserved in marine sedimentary deposits dating to the mid-Cretaceous Period.The perianth consists of ca. 10 spirally arranged tepals that vary in size and shape. The stigmatic tips of two styles are visible, the remainder of the gynoecium being hidden from view by the crowding of stamens and perianth parts toward the center of the flower.

View attachment 437553

View attachment 437554

Découverte d'une nouvelle espèce de fleur piégée dans l'ambre il y a 100 millions d'années
Has anyone tried smoking any yet? Lol

Are there seeds in these that would grow?

A stamen consists of an anther—the pollen-producing head—and a filament, the stem that connects the anther to the flower. Despite its small size, the details of the preserved structure are incredible. Our specimen was probably part of a cluster on the plant that contained many similar flowers, some perhaps female.” The specimen has an egg-shaped hollow flower cup — the part of the flower from which the stamens emanate; an outer layer consisting of six petal-shaped components known as tepals; and two-chamber anthers, with pollinic bags that open by laterally articulated valves.
Researchers at Oregon State University have identified a new genus and a new mid-cretaceous flower species, a male specimen frozen in time by Burmese amber. “It’s not exactly a Christmas flower, but it’s a beauty, especially since it was part of a forest that existed 100 million years ago.”

View attachment 437553

View attachment 437554

I for one welcome our new plant overlords.

Shop-hero.jpg

View attachment 437553

View attachment 437554

Shop-hero.jpg
For sure this is a leftie plant ? :abgg2q.jpg:

View attachment 437553

View attachment 437554

Shop-hero.jpg

They should name the plant Audrey II.

:auiqs.jpg:

View attachment 437553

View attachment 437554

Shop-hero.jpg
I heard a soul complaining of constant flaming in the Religious Holy Section here. What kind of person would be that low... HMMMMM....That's a tuffie. Do they flame in the organic section too?

The Little Shop of Horrors....Lol........classic movie on the zany kids 11pm hour in the day

View attachment 437553

View attachment 437554

Shop-hero.jpg
Isn't Poison Ivy too?

Hey guys I really notice something. Why isn't the post answered to, have it appear. When I click expand I enter a corn maze like no other. When I hit up I'm zoomed like Star Trek to somewhere. Hell this is confusing.

Did someone win an award for this?

Is this so we keep our eye brain coordination in top shape ?

Hey guys I really notice something. Why isn't the post answered to, have it appear. When I click expand I enter a corn maze like no other. When I hit up I'm zoomed like Star Trek to somewhere. Hell this is confusing.

I don’t understand? when you click on a post or on an image? it’s true that strange things can happen at the forum.
I find myself the other night on a thread that had no connection style Twilight Zone :laugh:

I don’t understand? when you click on a post or on an image? it’s true that strange things can happen at the forum.
I find myself the other night on a thread that had no connection style Twilight Zone :laugh:
Sorry. When someone responds to me, I can't see what I am responding to if there is a lot of reposts when I hit expand. Unless I'm doing something wrong. I'm new so I can use dumb as an excuse.

View attachment 437553

View attachment 437554

Shop-hero.jpg
Isn't Poison Ivy too?
Poison Ivy is a girl whose refusals made someone write a song entitled "I've got you under my skin," and the 40's Teen Idol, Frankie Sinatra, sang and made money off of it. :biggrin:

A 100 million years ago?

Impossible, the Earth is only 6000 years old.
Biblical scholars may have driven "literary" when they likened God's creation to have taken 6 days for the purpose of encouraging people to take one day in seven to give them time to reflect on keeping God's world right. In all actuality, Science, a byproduct of Christian ideals, is a doorway to discovering how God brought life and mankind into being in his own time parameters which men of old couldn't or wouldn't wrap their minds around all of it, since human thinking places the past into a vast region of obfuscation of time itself. So to make a long story short, 6 days was something others could recall as something as miraculous as hundreds of million years is to today's thinker stories. What is time, anyways. :icon_sjung:

I have seen wild flowers similar in shape to those If I can get a picture of one I will post it. Interesting find.

close ? what do you think. It more butter fly thenflower. you may have to click on the pic to get to the one I refer to.

Forum List

Back