Discussion about Ukraine during Biden-Trump debate

Dissident

VIP Member
Jan 21, 2020

During the Biden-Trump debate last week, the subject of Ukraine figured prominently. The words “Ukraine” and “Ukrainian” were used 25 times during the debate.
Below I would like to draw your attention to some points.
For almost 2 months before the start of the Russian Military Operation in Ukraine in February 2022, negotiations were conducted between Russian and Western diplomats, and at these negotiations the Russian side asked for guarantees that Ukraine would not be accepted into NATO. However, Western diplomats refused to give such guarantees and said that the West had nothing to do with it and Ukraine should decide for itself whether it will join NATO or not.

At this debate, the moderator asked Biden and Trump a specific question:​
BASH (CNN MODERATOR): Let’s move to the topic of foreign policy. I want to begin with Russia’s war against Ukraine, which is now in its third year.
… Russian President Vladimir Putin says he’ll only end this war if Russia keeps the Ukrainian territory it has already claimed and Ukraine abandons its bid to join NATO.
Are Putin’s terms acceptable to you?
However, neither Biden nor Trump answered this question.
Then the moderator asked only about the territory.​
BASH: … I’m going to come back to you for one minute. I just want to go back to my original question, which is, are Putin’s terms acceptable to you, keeping the territory in Ukraine?
The question about territory was answered by both Biden and Trump.
Therefore we can assume that both of them no longer support Ukraine’s entry into NATO.

I would also like to draw your attention to the following words of Biden:​
BIDEN: … And listen to what he (V. Putin) said when he went in, he was going to take Kyiv in five days, remember?

V. Putin never said this. This was said by US Deputy Secretary of State Victoria Nuland in March 2022, see the quote below:​
"When we first learned about Putin’s military plans for this war – and this was back in the fall – his military told him that he would be in Kyiv, take Kyiv in five days. His military commanders told him that he would completely control all of Ukraine and will get that control in two weeks,” Nuland said.
Special online meeting of the Kiev Security Forum

Biden also, as before, repeated his assertion that the Russian government allegedly wants to capture all of Ukraine in order to restore a part of the Soviet Empire.​
BIDEN: … He (V. Putin) wants to re-establish what was part of the Soviet Empire. Not just a piece, he wants all of Ukraine. That’s what he wants.
Last year I published the article “Patterns of distortion in American statements about the Ukrainian crisis” which - inter alia - included a pattern called “Mind Reading.” When somebody uses this pattern, he alleges that he knows other persons' thoughts, wishes and other phenomena which are inside their minds.
But in reality, V. Putin never spoke about his desire to restore any part of the Soviet Empire.

And the following fragment about the removal of the Prosecutor General of Ukraine in the debate was already analyzed in one of my articles in January of this year; see “Is present Ukraine an independent country?”​
TRUMP: … But he (Biden) could be a convicted felon as soon as he gets out of office. Joe could be a convicted felon with all of the things that he’s done. He’s done horrible things. All of the death caused at the border, telling the Ukrainian people that we’re going to want a billion dollars or you change the prosecutor, otherwise, you’re not getting a billion dollars.
If I ever said that, that’s quid pro quo. That – we’re not going to do anything, we’re not going to give you a billion dollars unless you change your prosecutor having to do with his son.
This man is a criminal.

Source

Last edited:

Overall, Biden didn't do too badly in the foreign policy segment. He should definitely stay in the race.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back