Do Girls/Women Really Think That Being Super Skinny Is Healthy?

Devil Dogs, Ring Dings, Twinkies, MacDonalds weren’t available back then?

The problem these days is not enough physical activity.

And watching female wrestling is not a physical activity.
Go away. I am a amateur wrestler. People in the 1950s would toss you in the garbage because you are more unhealthy than all the junk food ever made is.

I got this idea for a discussion by a misunderstanding in a different thread. I can most definitely admit that I am overweight and I know that that isn't healthy as I've been trying to slim down, but I can never understand these women in popular culture that think it's alright to starve themselves just to be considered eye candy for men.

I don't even see how boys/men find them attractive but then again, I'm a woman so what do I know? Then again the man that I'm currently with agrees with me and the fact that some occupations actually require this (like modeling for one) is sickening to me.
I'm female & when I was young my weight topped out at 110 pounds around age 14 (5' 4"). I was very slender and recently saw some photos of myself during my college years and the word "boney" came to mind.

The thing is though, that was just how I was born, with genetics, and a high metabolism rate so that nothing I did would allow me to gain weight which I wanted to do my entire life simply because I was aware that guys appeared to prefer curvier women. I was never able to though, at BEST, I was able to get up to around 113 pounds from 110 which was some weight gain but not appreciable :)

I was not unhealthy, that was just my body. A few years after entering my 40s I picked up, without trying, about 10 pounds. If I had to guess I would say it was due to a combination of moving to Seattle with it's overcast skies or 9 months out of the year compared to a constantly (more or less) sunny southern California, the introduction to my regular diet of Starbuck's caramel macchiato prepared with 8 raw sugars, extra caramel and lots of whip cream with a caramel drizzle, and a thing with which I was completely unfamiliar called perimenopause.

Long story short, our hormones play a HUGE part in the regulation of our metabolism as well as our mental & emotional wellbeing. If they get out of whack, then lots of problems can develop included unwanted weight gain.

Being comfortable in your own skin I think is more important than trying to meet the standards of others as long as your weight isn't putting you at risk health wise but if you want to be more specific, I would advise you to ask your doctor what the negative implications are of being overweight and then focus on that instead of the actual number on the scale.

Mind what you eat and how much sustained exercise you get. Just cutting calories is a poor strategy.
It's more than just minding what you eat. Apparently there is a condition called "insulin resistance" which means that your body doesn't metabolize your food properly and instead of it being converted to energy our bodies store it as fat. Then their is the sensation of never getting full (satiation) therefore you keep eating or even if you make yourself stop eating, you still feel hungry or a craving for eating.

Cutting calories is how I initially was able to begin to lose weight but I agree that it's a poor strategy. But as my doctor pointed out to me, it IS science. You either burn more calories than you consume through exercise or you reduce the number of calories consumed.

The number of calories burned through say sustained time on a treadmill is only about 150 - 200 calories for a half an hour. That's one coffee for me :-(

It's more than just minding what you eat. Apparently there is a condition called "insulin resistance" which means that your body doesn't metabolize your food properly and instead of it being converted to energy our bodies store it as fat. Then their is the sensation of never getting full (satiation) therefore you keep eating or even if you make yourself stop eating, you still feel hungry or a craving for eating.

Cutting calories is how I initially was able to begin to lose weight but I agree that it's a poor strategy. But as my doctor pointed out to me, it IS science. You either burn more calories than you consume through exercise or you reduce the number of calories consumed.

The number of calories burned through say sustained time on a treadmill is only about 150 - 200 calories for a half an hour. That's one coffee for me :-(
The bottom line--no pun intended--is you have to burn as many calories as you consume. These days, I don't get much exercise, but my metabolism burns 3K to 5K a day and I maintain my weight.

Nope. It's fast food, KFC, Pizza.

Wrong. It’s not just fast food, it’s all restaurant food and 95% of at is sold in grocery stores.

Look at the labels of everything. Most stuff is full of carbs, sugar, inflammatory seed oils, and many other nasty things. It’s a recipe for inflammation, diabetes, and chronic diseases.

Wrong. It’s not just fast food, it’s all restaurant food and 95% of at is sold in grocery stores.

Look at the labels of everything. Most stuff is full of carbs, sugar, inflammatory seed oils, and many other nasty things. It’s a recipe for inflammation, diabetes, and chronic diseases.
Also there are ingredients you cannot pronounce. That is another red flag.

Also why the excess of soy? A ton of products on store shelves have soy in them and there are people who cannot have soy.
During the 70s, there was a lot of ground beef that contained soy fillers. I ate a lot of it. I couldn't tell the difference in the way I cooked it. I don't see soy burger anymore--maybe because of the allergy angle. It was substantially cheaper than regular burger and probably the #1 reason I bought it.

Super, super skinny no.

Slim, absolutely :thup:
I don't agree. Men should look muscular like this:

Scott_Steiner_bio.jpg

Forum List

Back