Does anyone else have an electric bicycle?

Godboy

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2008
I recently discovered these, even though they have been around for years apparently. I live in an area with a lot of hills, so i have stayed away from bikes because, who wants to walk their bike up every hill? Im 47 and not interested in blowing out my legs, or even conditioning them to a point to where i can pedal like a tour de france rider. Fuck that.

Electric bikes fix that issue. You can pedal as much or as little as you want. The bike i bought is a Rad Rover 5. It not only has pedal assist, it also has a throttle so you dont ever have to pedal if you dont want to. On just throttle alone, this bike will do 20+ miles on a single charge, or 45+ if you assist with pedaling. It'll do between 20-25 mph on throttle alone, and even faster if you assist by pedaling.

Pedal assist is the shit! On its max setting (pedal assist 5) the bike puts out something like 5 times the amount of energy that you put in, so its like you have the pedaling strength of Captain America. You can casually pedal up steep hills without breaking a sweat (or just use throttle alone if youre super lazy).

Class 2 E-bikes are allowed (legally) anywhere bicycles are allowed, including sidewalks. You can take these electric fat tire bikes offroad too. Check out this short video. These things are friggin quick!

Rad_Power_Bike_Black.jpg

Last edited:
I recently discovered these, even though they have been around for years apparently. I live in an area with a lot of hills, so i have stayed away from bikes because, who wants to walk their bike up every hill? Im 47 and not interested in blowing out my legs, or even conditioning them to a point to where i can pedal like a tour de france rider. Fuck that.

Electric bikes fix that issue. You can pedal as much or as little as you want. The bike i bought is a Rad Rover 5. It not only has pedal assist, it also has a throttle so you dont ever have to pedal if you dont want to. On just throttle alone, this bike will do 20+ miles on a single charge, or 45+ if you assist with pedaling. It'll do between 20-25 mph on throttle alone, and even faster if you assist by pedaling.

Pedal assist is the shit! The bike puts out something like 5 times the amount of energy that you put in, so its like you have the pedaling strength of Captain America. You can casually pedal up steep hills without breaking a sweat (or just use throttle alone if youre super lazy).

Class 2 E-bikes are allowed (legally) anywhere bicycles are allowed, including sidewalks. You can take these electric fat tire bikes offroad too. Check out this short video. These things are friggin quick!

A friend of ours 19 year old son has one, and it's pretty great I've seen him on it.

If it can't keep up with vehicle traffic, it has no business on the road. That's all I gotta say, because I despise the assholes who interfere with and slow traffic so they can be like Lance "One Nut Cheating Fucker" Armstrong.

How much do they run?
They can get really pricy, but Rad Power Bikes makes less expensive ones that are super reliable, which is why they are one of the most popular brands in the world. The Rad bikes are between $1000-$1500. Audi makes a $20,000 dollar E-bike!

If it can't keep up with vehicle traffic, it has no business on the road. That's all I gotta say, because I despise the assholes who interfere with and slow traffic so they can be like Lance "One Nut Cheating Fucker" Armstrong.
Class 3 E-bikes can easily keep up with traffic, but they lose the freedoms of the Class 2 ebikes. Class 3's cant be taken on sidewalks, for example, but they are fast as fuck. Too fast in my opinion. They can do anywhere between 30-50 MPH, or even more if you buy aftermarket motors, controllers and batteries for them.

Last edited:
I fucking hate cyclists too. I work in Seattle and they are a pain in the ass. I wont be impeding traffic with my bike though. I want the bike for parks and trails. I will be taking it on the roads too, but not in the city. Im talking residential roads where i can easily do 25 mph on the Rad Rover.

Last edited:

Pedal assist is the shit! The bike puts out something like 5 times the amount of energy that you put in, so its like you have the pedaling strength of Captain America. You can casually pedal up steep hills without breaking a sweat (or just use throttle alone if youre super lazy).

Rad_Power_Bike_Black.jpg

/——-/ 47???? I’m 69 years old and ride a 10 speed up hills with none of the issues you’re worried about.

Rad_Power_Bike_Black.jpg

/——-/ 47???? I’m 69 years old and ride a 10 speed up hills with none of the issues you’re worried about.

Can you do that for 40 miles? The benefit to an electric bike is the range and speed that you get. You are rewarded with more speed with every pedal rotation, than you are on a normal bike. Again, its like you have the pedaling strength of Captain America (on the bikes highest setting). You can also dial it back to where its barely helping you, or not helping you at all. When you get tired, all you have to do is turn the throttle, or turn up the pedal assist.

Last edited:

Pedal assist is the shit! On its max setting (pedal assist 5) the bike puts out something like 5 times the amount of energy that you put in, so its like you have the pedaling strength of Captain America. You can casually pedal up steep hills without breaking a sweat (or just use throttle alone if youre super lazy).

Rad_Power_Bike_Black.jpg

Okay so I texted our friend's 19 year old son and asked what bicycle he has and he texted me back to the below website and the below bicycle, it is a GENESIS E-Cross 1.0 PT E-Crossbike. He got it when we were on Lockdown and his Tennis Club was closed and so to keep his fitness up he got the Electric Bicycle, I myself know zero about these things but it looks very excellent:

1602272086523.png

Rad_Power_Bike_Black.jpg

Okay so I texted our friend's 19 year old son and asked what bicycle he has and he texted me back to the below website and the below bicycle, it is a GENESIS E-Cross 1.0 PT E-Crossbike. He got it when we were on Lockdown and his Tennis Club was closed and so to keep his fitness up he got the Electric Bicycle, I myself know zero about these things but it looks very excellent:

View attachment 399352

Thats a nice one! I considered going with a more expensive one, but i thought it might be smart to start with a Rad Rover, and if i turn this into a full blown hobby, then ill think about getting a higher end bike.

Rad_Power_Bike_Black.jpg

View attachment 399352

Thats a nice one! I considered going with a more expensive one, but i thought it might be smart to start with a Rad Rover, and if i turn this into a full blown hobby, then ill think about getting a higher end bike.

I think they are good for those who want to keep fit cycling but don't like the idea of all that peddling. I remember I asked our friends son and he said minimal peddling and I asked where he was going cycling and he said our mountain trails late in the night. When we were on the Lockdown he used to go out at night with a friend of his who also bought one of those bicycles because his Boxing Club was closed - he does Boxing to keep fit usually obviously with a Head Guard on - but they used to go bicycling every night, they would set off at about something like 11PM and go cycling all around our many mountain trails and then both get home at about something like 2AM or 3AM on Saturdays.

Rad_Power_Bike_Black.jpg

View attachment 399352

I think they are good for those who want to keep fit cycling but don't like the idea of all that peddling. I remember I asked our friends son and he said minimal peddling and I asked where he was going cycling and he said our mountain trails late in the night. When we were on the Lockdown he used to go out at night with a friend of his who also bought one of those bicycles because his Boxing Club was closed - he does Boxing to keep fit usually obviously with a Head Guard on - but they used to go bicycling every night, they would set off at about something like 11PM and go cycling all around our many mountain trails and then both get home at about something like 2AM or 3AM on Saturdays.

Yeah, the range you get from E-bikes opens up a lot of locational options that you wouldnt even consider if you were riding a normal bike. No one wants to pedal 10 miles to a mountain, then go riding up hilly mountain trails for a few hours, and then pedal their ass 10 miles to get back home. Who has the energy for that shit? Not me! :laugh:

Rad_Power_Bike_Black.jpg

Can you do that for 40 miles? The benefit to an electric bike is the range and speed that you get. You are rewarded with more speed with every pedal rotation, than you are on a normal bike. Again, its like you have the pedaling strength of Captain America (on the bikes highest setting). You can also dial it back to where its barely helping you, or not helping you at all. When you get tired, all you have to do is turn the throttle, or turn up the pedal assist.

/—-/ I never tried 40 miles.

I am 71 and an avid bicyclist. I have never had any leg or knee issues from riding. In fact, I switched from running to biking at 60 because of the deterioration that was happening from running.

Living in Western Pennsylvania, level roads are not an option if you want to go more than 5 miles. I have a road bike and a mountain bike, which I always ride on pavement; the gearing is useful for the hills.

I'm seriously thinking about an electric, but I don't want to lose the workout I get when riding. Those E-bikes are what - 40 to 50 pounds? I'm afraid I would fall back on assist too readily and end up after 2 hours not having had a real workout.

Some of these fat-tire E-bikes look really cool and attractive.

I hope to get one soon. I have exercise induced asthma. I can't breathe on exertion. An ebike would suit me fine.

They can get really pricy, but Rad Power Bikes makes less expensive ones that are super reliable, which is why they are one of the most popular brands in the world. The Rad bikes are between $1000-$1500. Audi makes a $20,000 dollar E-bike!

That's really cool. :cool:$1000-1500 is not unreasonable at all.

Checked the link, in German but so what. Not so hard to understand a little enough if one tries.

Lithium ion bat pack. I'm familiar with lithium polymer but not ion, I'll fix that and check it out. Bosch pac, motor and more Bosch, cool. Good stuff. Now the gearing, Shimano. How cool they using those! Good outsourcing. I have two Shimano fishing reels seen both salt and fresh and as good as day one and they are 20+ years old.

That's really cool. :cool:$1000-1500 is not unreasonable at all.

Checked the link, in German but so what. Not so hard to understand a little enough if one tries.

Lithium ion bat pack. I'm familiar with lithium polymer but not ion, I'll fix that and check it out. Bosch pac, motor and more Bosch, cool. Good stuff. Now the gearing, Shimano. How cool they using those! Good outsourcing. I have two Shimano fishing reels seen both salt and fresh and as good as day one and they are 20+ years old.
This is the link to my bike. Its $1,499. My bike is made in Seattle, Washington.

Forum List

Back