Does anyone know about this kind of stuff?

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
DSC_0571-web.jpg

DSC_0575-web.jpg

This was purchased in Germany in the early 60's and a friend wants to know if it's worth anything.

Post-war, made for tourists. I'd say by the stamping on the bottom "Made in Germany", that it was made after Germany was unified (1989). Otherwise it would read "Made in West Germany." They did make those pre-war, but the quality woulod have been much higher. Etsy sellers tend to price their merchandise high, as do many sellers on Ebay. I always look at completed auctions and auctions that have actually sold, on Ebay. Out of the ones that sold, the average price was $100-$120. Shipping is usually an arm and a leg for items like those because you have to cushion the hell out of them. Even so, something invariably gets broken by the postal system.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. The second picture is hard to read the lettering. I did find a set of those that sold for $50 on proxbid, but they were marked "Made in W Germany." They were made by the Gerz Co.

• Banned

Post-war, made for tourists. I'd say by the stamping on the bottom "Made in Germany", that it was made after Germany was unified (1989). Otherwise it would read "Made in West Germany." They did make those pre-war, but the quality woulod have been much higher. Etsy sellers tend to price their merchandise high, as do many sellers on Ebay. I always look at completed auctions and auctions that have actually sold, on Ebay. Out of the ones that sold, the average price was $100-$120. Shipping is usually an arm and a leg for items like those because you have to cushion the hell out of them. Even so, something invariably gets broken by the postal system.
My friend said he bought it in Germany in 1964. I think he wants to sell them and make some money but my wife found one like it for sale for 300 dollars. I'd just keep it because it is really cool looking.

My friend said he bought it in Germany in 1964. I think he wants to sell them and make some money but my wife found one like it for sale for 300 dollars. I'd just keep it because it is really cool looking.

Like most things, something's only worth what somebody will be willing to pay for it. Some things do sell themselves though, if they're rare or unusual.

• Banned

Like most things, something's only worth what somebody will be willing to pay for it. Some things do sell themselves though, if they're rare or unusual.
I just spoke with him and he said he bought it in Bamberg Germany in 1964. Don't really look like it's worth much. Thanks for you input.

I just spoke with him and he said he bought it in Bamberg Germany in 1964. Don't really look like it's worth much. Thanks for you input.

The right person would probably pay $150 for them.

It's nice. Keep it awhile. Or consign it. Ask 150 bucks...the consignee will take half...or 40%.

Forum List

Back