Drink Recommendations...

For those suggesting wine... I would need some sort of more specific info on what is going to be a sweeter, fruitier wine. Most I’ve had over the years are too bitter or sour

Cream sherry is sweet. The dessert wines, like pear, are also sweet. Not sure how much luck you'd have ordering them at a wedding, though.

Baileys Irish cream over ice is sweet and delish. Or a Black Russian (much stronger).
Port is fortified wine. Sherry is sweet and nice.

Many of you know that I’m pretty much a total non-drinker (alcohol). I tend to prefer things that are sweet over sour, bitter or tangy flavorings. Any recommend at for either setting.

Well, red wine comes to mind, the problem with wine being that it oxidizes within hours after opening if you don't replace the air with inert gas. One thing you might try which is sweet and kinda good for you and easy to drink that will mellow you out to whatever degree you need without breaking the bank is to buy some cranberry-pomegranate juice or black cherry or any mixture therein and some cheap vodka (like Nikolai). Pour several shots over cracked ice with about 5-6X as much juice over top.

Another option is to buy some E&J VSOP brandy, pour likewise over the ice and top accordingly with Welsh's Passion Fruit juice for a kind of homemade Hpnotiq. Enjoy.

Many of you know that I’m pretty much a total non-drinker (alcohol). Recently my therapist and MD both suggested that I might benefit from a drink or two a couple times a week to reduce my stress levels. I’ve also got a quartet of weddings coming up this fall where drinking will not be optional.

So, I’m hoping the USMB community can help me find some things to fill these two needs:

Quick, easy evening/weekend drinks that will take the edge off without giving me much of a buzz.

Social drinks that I can nurse over a longer period of time without looking stupid or can have several of without getting much of a buzz.

I tend to prefer things that are sweet over sour, bitter or tangy flavorings. Any recommend at for either setting.
Just nurse a beer

Many of you know that I’m pretty much a total non-drinker (alcohol). Recently my therapist and MD both suggested that I might benefit from a drink or two a couple times a week to reduce my stress levels. I’ve also got a quartet of weddings coming up this fall where drinking will not be optional.

So, I’m hoping the USMB community can help me find some things to fill these two needs:

Quick, easy evening/weekend drinks that will take the edge off without giving me much of a buzz.

Social drinks that I can nurse over a longer period of time without looking stupid or can have several of without getting much of a buzz.

I tend to prefer things that are sweet over sour, bitter or tangy flavorings. Any recommend at for either setting.

Colorado Bulldog.
Same as a White Russian but you add a little coke.

If you like sweet this is the drink for you. Taste almost like chocolate milk.
The pic is misleading,stir it up.
I make mine with 3 shots Vodka,1 shot Kaluha,about 1 inch of Coke then fill with whole milk. This of course takes a 16 oz. glass minimum.
Be careful though,you can barely taste the alcohol.

Why would you attend an event where drinking was not optional? They're getting married, not pledging a frat
Family members of my wife. I’m not getting an option. Thankfully they’re all having the reception AT the hotel we’ll be staying at.
Your wife shouldn't ask you to attend something like that, or if she did she should explain you aren't a drinker not her relatives.
Are you Dear Abby or sumptin?
Nope, why do you ask?

This is an easy drink to prepare, and is just a little tangy, but sweet.

Sidecar https://g.co/kgs/9tvwiX
That does look like an option for the weddings. Not a bartender myself so I’d have to see if I can find a mix for it at home.
My grandfather is a fan of rose wines
I’m not a big wine fan. Too sour/bitter most of the time. Thanks for the recommendation
Anything sold as "dessert wines" tend to be much sweeter.

Why would you attend an event where drinking was not optional? They're getting married, not pledging a frat
Family members of my wife. I’m not getting an option. Thankfully they’re all having the reception AT the hotel we’ll be staying at.
The option is simple: "No, sorry, I don't drink." I have done it for years, so has my wife.

Forum List

Back