Ed Koch has passed.

Loved Koch

Great mayor with a biting wit

Last night on the way back from work I heard on 1010 WINS Koch was going back into the Hospital because of water in the lungs. It did not sound good. This morning on NY1 they've been doing a retrospective of his life. He died at the age of 88.

Razor sharp until the end, Koch took a gig at NY1 in a forum called "Wise Guys". He was the best of New York. Tough, brash, unafraid and single minded when he came to a decision. He pretty much rescued New York from bankruptcy. He was the best of the best.

He will be missed greatly by this city..who loved him dearly.

From NPR:

Former New York City Mayor Ed Koch, whose larger-than-life personality was well-suited to the nation's biggest city but could also get him in trouble, has died. He was 88.

His spokesman, George Arzt, says Koch passed away early Friday from congestive heart failure.

Koch was famous for asking his constituents this question: "Hey! How'm I doing?" He insisted this was more than just shtick. He told NPR in 1981 that he really wanted to know.

"Some people have said that's a mark of insecurity. Gee, I have to be patted on the back, how'm I doing," he said. "I want you to think about this: Do you know people in public life who are sufficiently secure to ask people to rate them?"

Insecurity did not seem to be a problem for Koch. When he ran first for mayor, New York was practically falling apart. The city was still reeling from the financial crisis of the mid-1970s and the looting that accompanied a major blackout in the summer of 1977.

"The city was being held together by chewing gum," recalls historian Jonathan Soffer. "He created a feeling of optimism. He created a feeling that the city could come back."
Ed Koch Dies; Outspoken Mayor Brought N.Y. Back From The Brink : NPR

He was the real deal for sure

Yeah, he was..

It's amazing how vibrant and energetic he was at 88. Passing away this year is probably the last thing I thought was going to happen to him.

This was very sudden.

I'm two states away from NY, but I've always liked Ed Koch and enjoyed watching him on TV. He always impressed me as a thoughtful human being with an excellent personality. He was a one year mayor of NYC, the last time I visited the city.

Yeah, he was..

It's amazing how vibrant and energetic he was at 88. Passing away this year is probably the last thing I thought was going to happen to him.

This was very sudden.

I'm two states away from NY, but I've always liked Ed Koch and enjoyed watching him on TV. He always impressed me as a thoughtful human being with an excellent personality. He was a one year mayor of NYC, the last time I visited the city.

He was an absolutely brilliant politician.

Last night on the way back from work I heard on 1010 WINS Koch was going back into the Hospital because of water in the lungs. It did not sound good. This morning on NY1 they've been doing a retrospective of his life. He died at the age of 88.

Razor sharp until the end, Koch took a gig at NY1 in a forum called "Wise Guys". He was the best of New York. Tough, brash, unafraid and single minded when he came to a decision. He pretty much rescued New York from bankruptcy. He was the best of the best.

He will be missed greatly by this city..who loved him dearly.

Koch was quite a colorful character, he will be missed.

Yeah, he was..

This was very sudden.

He was one if the great ones.

He'd been in and out of the hospital a number if times over the past few months. I didn't think it looked good when this time he was re-hospitalized only a couple of days after being released.

Yeah, he was..

This was very sudden.

He was one if the great ones.

He'd been in and out of the hospital a number if times over the past few months. I didn't think it looked good when this time he was re-hospitalized only a couple of days after being released.

He lived a long and amazing life.

But watching him on NY1's "Wise Guys" was such a joy.

I really wish it had continued just a few more years.

The guy was still on top of his game.

Forum List

Back