Ed Koch has passed.

Yeah, he was..

It's amazing how vibrant and energetic he was at 88. Passing away this year is probably the last thing I thought was going to happen to him.

This was very sudden.

He was one if the great ones.

He'd been in and out of the hospital a number if times over the past few months. I didn't think it looked good when this time he was re-hospitalized only a couple of days after being released.

He lived a long and amazing life.

But watching him on NY1's "Wise Guys" was such a joy.

I really wish it had continued just a few more years.

The guy was still on top of his game.

i think he'd have appreciated going while he was still sharp. it would have been horrible to see him not be able to do the things that kept him functioning.

i do think there's something kind of weird about him going the day the documentary about him is being released. almost like he finished telling his story and it was time.

but he'd have loved being center stage at the premiere.

There is (was?) an iconic deli in lower Manhatten called Katz's. They had long tables and benches where you just sat anywhere and talked to whomever your table-mates were. I once sat across from Koch and enjoyed a wonderful conversation with him and others at the table.

Very interesting man.

Looks like Katz's is still there.

Cool.

url

katz-s-deli-nyc.jpg

Ah Ed......damn, I gotta say I was sad to hear it even though 89 aint bad, man he was a character.

Things I remember...humm I was back and forth on leaves so its spotty, 78 in NYC was a crazy year, the Bronx zoo ( I am referring to the Yankees clubhouse :lol:) people were still uspet by son of sam from the summer of 77, I remember my aunt telling me she hated the street sweepers because he had his voice recorded and they'd blast it while they came down the street, "time to get up move your car", because people weren't moving on alternate side of the street parking days....

then there was the time he shutout down the entire west side highway because a guy was trapped by a crane or something under a collapsed bldg. and his engineers told him the vibrations might topple it over on him, 4 hours during rush hour, man he had half the city ready to kill him but, he didn't give a damn.....

then there was the time went to war with the aclu and resident do gooders over getting hostile homeless folks off the streets and he was quite vocal about it, he could not understand how the aclu could fight for the right for/of homeless person ( Brown her name was I beleive) or any homeless person 'to live on a subway grate' , aside from that, where in she very aggressively panhandled, threw her feces and urine at folks , cursing etc......anyway, he gave the city its swagger back so to speak.....

he wasn't my cup of tea politically, but he was a gentleman, a real 'mensch' and a liberal I would fight and die for or with , he was also a a combat infantryman and understood not everything was so black and white...we need more of his kind....RIP Ed.

Ed Koch was a good man.
Listening to him over the years I knew that here was a man who loved NYC.
I just heard him on the radio recently and it was good to hear him give his opinion on things.
He will be missed by this Brooklyn Boy and by many others.

RIP Mr Mayor.

RIP Ed Koch.

They don't make them like that anymore :(

4bb1d67e32d24f018114d058e27f6adb-9a46dbe2c6a544a2855e83fe2517431e-16_zpsc4eb28b5.jpg

Great guy with wit and a positive attitude. The quintessential New Yorker.

A couple of quotes:

On Politics
"I'm the sort of person who will never get ulcers. Why? Because I say exactly what I think. I’m the sort of person who might give other people ulcers."

"If you agree with me on nine out of 12 issues, vote for me. If you agree with me on 12 out of 12 issues, see a psychiatrist."

On His Sexuality
"Listen, there's no question that some New Yorkers think I'm gay, and voted for me nevertheless. The vast majority don't care, and others don't think I am. And I don’t give a shit either way! What do I care? I'm 73 years old. I find it fascinating that people are interested in my sex life at age 73. It's rather complimentary! But as I say in my book, my answer to questions on this subject is simply Fuck off. There have to be some private matters left."

The Best Ed Koch Quotes: R.I.P.

I may get negged for jinxing the thread, but...

Is it possible that there finally something most of us can agree upon? That Ed Koch was a mench?

Not only that but, those who may not share that view have had respect enough for the man not to trash it?

I may get negged for jinxing the thread, but...

Is it possible that there finally something most of us can agree upon? That Ed Koch was a mench?

Not only that but, those who may not share that view have had respect enough for the man not to trash it?

No negs from me! :eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back