Ethernet

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
During a recent issue I had after installing my Windows Gamer guts into a brand new modern midi case I had to temporarily hook up an ethernet cable to it. Talk about fast.......... It made my fast wifi look like a horse and buggy by comparison. All but one of my 3 desktops are now connected via ethernet cable, old CAT5 (which is all I had), with new CAT8 cables on the way.
Not saying one is better than the other as long as the home wifi is well secured besides there are other items in my home that will continue to rely on wifi.
Besides ethernet cables are shielded against interference which wifi is sometimes affected by.
CAT5 transfers 100 million signals per second, CAT8 transfers 2 billion signals per second........ I's call that a "slight" improvement......... :cool:

During a recent issue I had after installing my Windows Gamer guts into a brand new modern midi case I had to temporarily hook up an ethernet cable to it. Talk about fast.......... It made my fast wifi look like a horse and buggy by comparison. All but one of my 3 desktops are now connected via ethernet cable, old CAT5 (which is all I had), with new CAT8 cables on the way.
Not saying one is better than the other as long as the home wifi is well secured besides there are other items in my home that will continue to rely on wifi.
Besides ethernet cables are shielded against interference which wifi is sometimes affected by.
CAT5 transfers 100 million signals per second, CAT8 transfers 2 billion signals per second........ I's call that a "slight" improvement......... :cool:
I moved to Eth0 five years ago and use the wireless for the phones only.

What's the specs on the Cat8? I've heard of Cat7 and that is alleged to be 10g throughput.

I moved to Eth0 five years ago and use the wireless for the phones only.

What's the specs on the Cat8? I've heard of Cat7 and that is alleged to be 10g throughput.
Cat7-Cat8-Featured-Summary.png

I paid $6 each for three 6 foot cables.

I need an ethernet cable just in case another cable company cuts the wifi lines again. It would speed up my family's computers and my PS4.
Uuummmmmm, ethernet cables run from the modem/wifi box in your house to the computer. Your modem/wifi box in the house are fed by exterior cables (coax or fiber optic) which can be cut by contractors.

I'll need about two of 20 ft. 30m distance is a bit short but I don't need 30m so its all good. :)
The cheapest place to get it is on Amazon (of course). Twenty to thirty feet goes for under $20. I have no idea how much if you're looking for cable and connectors to make your own.

Forum List

Back