Euros 21 and Copa 21

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Both tournaments running in reduced circumstances. The Copa moved to Brazil from some place riddled with Covid. Brazil beat Venezuela last night in front of an empty stadium and it goes on for a few weeks till they play Argentina in the final.

The Euros are spread out over Europe and are pretty much a farce this time. Most of the big nations enjoy home fixtures whilst minnows like Wales travel to fucking Azerbajan which I doubt is even in Europe. They are oil rich though.

The games so far have been ho hum with no upsets and I think it will take a while to warm up. Germany plays France tomorrow which is a monumental cock up. These two should be protected from each other till the later stages. LK Eder tells me that Germany are shit this time but Frances two main men are at daggers so it may be an interesting game,

A Danish player collapsed on the field on Saturday and was taken to hospital with a heart complaint. Best wishes to him but I doubt we will see him on the field again.

For the first time since my school days I am in a position to watch every game but I lack the enthusiasm. Poland v Slovakia kicks off in a bit and I think I will struggle to stay awake.

I enjoyed the Italy v. Turkey game. Holland v. Ukraine was another good one.

The Tour de France also starts soon. I always look forward to that.

Last edited:

The Tour de France also starts soon. I always look forward to that,

YES! The Tour de France, I never miss a stage, and haven't for 20 years (except for time trials, I don't watch them)

I watched the Czech Republic defeat Scotland in Glasgow this morning, 2-0.

The biggest news was the guy having a heart attack in the middle of a match yesterday.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: JLW
Both tournaments running in reduced circumstances. The Copa moved to Brazil from some place riddled with Covid. Brazil beat Venezuela last night in front of an empty stadium and it goes on for a few weeks till they play Argentina in the final.

The Euros are spread out over Europe and are pretty much a farce this time. Most of the big nations enjoy home fixtures whilst minnows like Wales travel to fucking Azerbajan which I doubt is even in Europe. They are oil rich though.

The games so far have been ho hum with no upsets and I think it will take a while to warm up. Germany plays France tomorrow which is a monumental cock up. These two should be protected from each other till the later stages. LK Eder tells me that Germany are shit this time but Frances two main men are at daggers so it may be an interesting game,

A Danish player collapsed on the field on Saturday and was taken to hospital with a heart complaint. Best wishes to him but I doubt we will see him on the field again.

For the first time since my school days I am in a position to watch every game but I lack the enthusiasm. Poland v Slovakia kicks off in a bit and I think I will struggle to stay awake.
i have actually no idea how shit or not shit the German team is this time. i am completely out of the loop. on paper, it does not look that bad. the last results were shit, so, in a EURO group stage with portugal and france, there is not much room to slowly find your pace. they must deliver immediately, or go home.

The Tour de France also starts soon. I always look forward to that.
I watched the Holland game and should have enjoyed it. At least there were goals. Turkey had a big reputation coming into this and just bent over for Italy. We play them on wednesday night and its a must win for us.

i have actually no idea how shit or not shit the German team is this time. i am completely out of the loop. on paper, it does not look that bad. the last results were shit, so, in a EURO group stage with portugal and france, there is not much room to slowly find your pace. they must deliver immediately, or go home.
Why are you not playing in Germany ? Someone dropped a clanger there.

they play where i live. all three matches. it's france that has no home matches, probably because they were hosts in 2016.

they play where i live. all three matches. it's france that has no home matches, probably because they were hosts in 2016.
Poland v Slovakia - no knees taken. Major shock.

Thought you were playing in Paris.

Thought you were playing in Paris.
no. in munich.

i looked it up. france initially proposed lyon as venue but retracted their bid because of being host in 2016.

Baku became host by paying 500 million euros to platini.*

* no citation needed. lol

i looked it up. france initially proposed lyon as venue but retracted their bid because of being host in 2016.

Erdogan probably paid that for them. We play the Turks there on wednesday. Its next door to turkey and they have bought all the tickets.

Erdogan probably paid that for them. We play the Turks there on wednesday. Its next door to turkey and they have bought all the tickets.
as you noted, Azerbaijan is oil rich and has its own authoritarian thug, so they probably did not need erdogans help.

turkey was the only bidder for hosting 2020, then they came up with the multi host thing, i heard.
Edit: the only one nation bidder. there was also an impromptu celtic bid including Wales, and the almost unstoppable dynamic duo Georgia-Azerbaijan...

as you noted, Azerbaijan is oil rich and has its own authoritarian thug, so they probably did not need erdogans help.

turkey was the only bidder for hosting 2020, then they came up with the multi host thing, i heard.
Edit: the only one nation bidder. there was also an impromptu celtic bid including Wales, and the almost unstoppable dynamic duo Georgia-Azerbaijan...
I dont think anyone over here took the Celtic bid seriously. The infrastructure needed for it now puts it out of reach. One ground in all of Ireland, Maybe 2 in Wales and 4 in Scotland with 3 being in Glasgow.

Baku looks amazing and apparently it is only 80p a pint there. Nice for a winter break but its closer to Bagdhad than Cardiff. My friend tested me to look out for his pic in the papers holding a flag. He was gutted when i told him it was in the Mail.

They shouldnt do this again though. Its a bit of a shambles.

If the two Copas don’t suit your interests, the CONCACAF Gold Cup starts in early July.

it’s gonna be an interesting year for USSoccer…

The women will likely win everything, as they always seem to.

The Men in the other hand have the opportunity to be spectacular or pathetic. They looked passable in early friendlies and collected a TROPHY for the completion of the inaugural CONCACAF Nations League tournament with a 3-2 Extra Time win over Mexico. Now it’s Gold Cup in July and then WC2022 qualifying in the fall. I still don’t have any confidence in Berhalter as manager of the team, but with this young (Dare I say “Golden”) generation of players, who knows what might happen.

New Topics

Forum List

Back