Explaining What Has Been Going On In the Market

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
I'll say a few things.

First, I applaud the people who made money long GME stock. Good for them. And if the hedge funds lost money, that's the way the cookie crumbles. They're pros. They know the risks.

Second, at some point, it's going to collapse. And it's going to collapse because what is occurring is a mania driven by technical conditions in the market. GME is not worth $30 billion. It's probably not worth $3 billion. Eventually, it will go to $0 because it's a broken business model. A retail investor buying at these prices is going to lose almost everything.

Third, there may be nefarious things going on, which I will address in my last point, but you must understand why brokers are shutting down trading in these stocks. They've done it in the past, and they will do it in the future.

At least three brokerages said the trading restrictions stemmed from mandates from their clearing firms, which process the securities on the back end after a user executes a trade with their brokerage. Webull Chief Executive Anthony Denier said his platform’s clearing firm, Apex Clearing Corp., notified him Thursday morning that Webull needed to shut off the ability to open new positions in certain stocks. Otherwise, Apex wouldn’t be able to settle the trades. ...​
“It’s a domino effect,” Mr. Denier said, adding the industry was likely reckoning with the question of whether “customers could pay for the stocks they had to buy to cover their short positions.”​
“If [they] are not able to pay to cover their short positions, someone else is going to have to pay for that purchase,” he said. “And if their clearing firm fails and there’s not enough collateral in the account to cover the purchase, that trade fails and will cascade into multiple trades with multiple customers.”

That last point is important. In effect, the brokers were cutting trades because if they didn't, they'd risk losing money themselves. These brokers make money matching trades for a buyer and a seller. This business is not about taking market risks. It's about their ability to execute your stock trade. You would not be able to trade stock without this service.

Finally, I have heard from reputable sources - i.e. not on the Internet - that one firm may have done illegal things. If what he said was true, then those people should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

An insider said there was pressure from, among others, the White House to turn off trades in that stock. Also heard the trading company sold people's stock without their permission.

I don't know about the first, but the second is true.

They do that when there isn't enough margin in the account. This happens regularly.

Yes it does. It helps with price discovery.

Short sellers have also uncovered frauds. Uncovering fraud protects investors.

Manias have done more damage to the economy than short sellers.

To be sure!

Melvin capital went bankrupt because of GameStop, and then the other hedge funds pulled strings to minimize their losses. We’re talking about institutions. How many of the short sellers didn’t have the buying power to cover their shorts?

Melvin capital went bankrupt because of GameStop, and then the other hedge funds pulled strings to minimize their losses. We’re talking about institutions. How many of the short sellers didn’t have the buying power to cover their shorts?

Melvin Capital received a $2.5 billion infusion of cash. They haven't gone bankrupt. They're down 30% for the year.

When a stock has a 140% short interest - that is 14 shares of stock sold short for every 10 shares of float - then many short sellers don't have the buying power to cover. That's why I have no sympathy for them. They're stupid.

Oh please it should be illegal....I think it was at one time.....

It's never been illegal, at least broadly. There have been times when it has been banned, i.e. during the GFC for financial stocks.

But shorting is an important part of the market.
I don't think its important...at all...but bailing out the hedge fund guys today was criminal...they were selling short got punk'd and then got bailed out today....and that's wrong...both AOC and Trump Jr agree...imagine that....lol

An insider said there was pressure from, among others, the White House to turn off trades in that stock. Also heard the trading company sold people's stock without their permission.

I don't know about the first, but the second is true.

They do that when there isn't enough margin in the account. This happens regularly.
I would think it would depend on the company's TOS.

I don't think its important...at all...but bailing out the hedge fund guys today was criminal...they were selling short got punk'd and then got bailed out today....and that's wrong...both AOC and Trump Jr agree...imagine that....lol

They've lost a lot of money, but they haven't been bailed out.

The execution brokers cut the trades because they were at risk. This happens when there are short squeezes and manias.

They've lost a lot of money, but they haven't been bailed out.

The execution brokers cut the trades because they were at risk. This happens when there are short squeezes and manias.
And you think that's okay?....

If you are going to defend short sales than you need to let people lose when they miscalculate...or else its all a scheme.....

I have heard that one hedge fund forced the execution broker to cut trades for their own profit.

If that's true, then people should go to jail.

I have a hard time believing it because, if true, the action is so blatant.
Thank you...but trust me its true...

Forum List

Back