Ferguson, Missouri - typifies the difference between Conservatives and Liberals

R

rdean

Just like in Iraq, the conservative approach is guns, threats, tear gas, swat teams, armored vehicles, automatic weapons.

Then, after the brutality failed, Democrats stepped in to calm the nerves and handle the situation.

We've seen it everywhere Republican policies are implemented.

The militarization of state law enforcement launched after 9/11, and touted by the Bush administration as a necessary response to terrorism, is very much in keeping with the larger project of global neoliberalism, first launched by Reagan/Thatcher on the 80's.

The logic is very simple. When you enact economic and social policies that create a narrow concentration of wealth on top, while simultaneously imposing austerity on the masses, the potential for civic unrest goes up. Therefore you need to build more prison cells and militarize local law enforcement. In every society where the wealthy abscond with a disproportionate amount of wealth and resources, the wealthy reflexively turn government into a repressive apparatus to protect their political power and material gains. And they invest heavily into opinion management so as to refashion "common sense" in their interests.

Study the trajectory of Reaganomics and the growth of prisons and the power of law enforcement. This is what happens when you drive down labor costs and unwind social programs. Law enforcement has always been used to protect the ill gotten gains of the wealthy elite.

Read Naomi Klein's Shock Doctrine if you want to understand how the War on Terrorism was used to remake US Law Enforcement in order to manage the exponentially growing ranks of pleebs.

Last edited:
The police have become more militarized under Obama. You and many liberals still blame Bush, yet give Obama a pass for taking Bush's policies and putting them on steroids.

Just like in Iraq, the conservative approach is guns, threats, tear gas, swat teams, armored vehicles, automatic weapons.

Then, after the brutality failed, Democrats stepped in to calm the nerves and handle the situation.

Dean, you are wrong. There are many conservatives on this board that are completely outraged by the actions of the Fergosun Police Department. Not only in the shooting of the young man, but in the excessive use of force in the aftermath.

This is a matter of how we define our culture, and it sure is not a free fire zone for trigger happy policemen. The militarization of police, of citizens, is something that I deplore in our present society. I do not like the war weapons in the hands of police or of citizens. They have a psychology about them that is evil. I do not see myself at war with my fellow Americans.

What a crock of shit.

Dean, you are wrong. There are many conservatives on this board that are completely outraged by the actions of the Fergosun Police Department. Not only in the shooting of the young man, but in the excessive use of force in the aftermath.

This is a matter of how we define our culture, and it sure is not a free fire zone for trigger happy policemen. The militarization of police, of citizens, is something that I deplore in our present society. I do not like the war weapons in the hands of police or of citizens. They have a psychology about them that is evil. I do not see myself at war with my fellow Americans.

For once I almost agree with you. It isn't a political party question. In that you are absolutely correct. The civilian armament program though is a direct response to the police forces being equipped with these. The government is preparing for civil unrest and it is going to kill any who participate. That is clear. The civilians are likewise not going to march willingly to the camps.

MRAP%206x6.jpg

You bet.

Al Sharpton always calms things down.

:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:

Why I (or anyone) even bothers to respond to your thread is beyond me.

You need your own forum (the dumbass zone) where you can post this crap and experience your electronic orgasm. We, on the other hand, would not have to page through your bullshit.

The police have become more militarized under Obama. You and many liberals still blame Bush, yet give Obama a pass for taking Bush's policies and putting them on steroids.

False. Liberal Presidents like Obama have always been accused of being weak on crime.

The militarization of police forces was a very specific anti-terrorism policy erected under Bush. And like all government policies, it only gets bigger.

Rest assured that if Obama did anything to curb the Bush Anti-Terrorism Agenda, than Dick Chaney would appear on FOX the next day claiming that Obama wasn't keeping our cities safe (which is exactly what Reagan said of Carter before launching his massive law enforcement agenda to cleanse our inner cities of Johnson-era welfare slums).

Whenever wealth concentrates on top, the wealthy protect their gains by creating a police state. Is Obama weak for being intimidated by Chaney and the Right? - is he weak for not unwinding the Bush national security state? Yes. On that we agree. But I see no politician on the Left with the courage for that fight. Certainly not the Clinton's. Bill Clinton had every opportunity to unwind the Reagan War on Drugs, which beefed up the State's repressive power to an unprecedented degree. He did nothing.

(Ron Paul might do it if they let him near the White House, but he'd probably have to compromise with the Rightwing establishment and yield to Chaney et al on the Bush surveillance and military state.)

If you want to understand what makes government bigger, than you must study fear not food stamps. Americans are far more willing to give dear leader more power when they are strategically manipulated with color coded terror warnings.
Study the political uses of fear and you will learn why the Right - the party of small government - was so willing to let Bush create the biggest government of all. And guess what? They're coming back in 2016, and they'll likely control the White House, Senate and House. If you thought the first Patriot Act was invasive, wait to see what the Right will do if they get another homeland attack. They will do a lot more than militarize state police forces.

People don't understand how government uses fear to grow its power, especially the Right who never questions a sitting Republican president.

God help us. They are coming back in 2016. Wait 'till you see the next version of the war on terrorism. Bush's Department of Homeland Security is going to get bigger and more invasive than anything we have ever seen. All they need is fear.

Last edited:
Wtf are you talking about Rderp? We have bitched to high heaven about the police becoming to "armed" and over stepping their bounds.

As to the shooting I think most of us are withholding judgment till all the facts are known. The kid is still a thug tho. Death doesn't change the fact that he was a scumbag.

If the officer that shot him is proven to be guilty of murder fuck em.

The only real difference ive seen between the left and the right is a rush to convict the cop without the evidence by the left. As well as making excuses for the rioting.

Well, just when I thought you were waking up you go back to sleep again.

Well, just when I thought you were waking up you go back to sleep again.
Must be the Oxycontin.

So the police utilize SWAT and military tactics and armament to defend rich right wing people from the poor, oppressed misunderstood democrat lefties?
Then why do my local police in my mostly black, democrat neighborhood dress in SWAT attire, complete with shields, body armor, helmets and standing in rows looking like the 300 Spartans waiting to be annihilated, all in preparation for ensuing riots and destruction of local personal property by college students after a basketball game? That's what happens here at the University of Maryland. Kids whose parents spend tens of thousands annually on tuition in addition to thousands more to accommodate resort lifestyles in college while the kids are being indoctrinated by left wing propaganda curriculum.
You lefties are full of shit.
Phony and dishonest.

Gang members have guns, automatric weapons, issue threats "Snitches Get Stiches" in Ferguson was shown, they going to future GOP events?

Ferguson isn't about politics and I gotta say trying to turn it into a political issue is very offensive while an officer is on the world's shit list until he's vidicated (which I'm sure he will be.)

Weird that a city that voted over 80% for Obama and has Dem governor, state and federal reps, is Republican.

Oh, more rioting btw.

I'm against abuse of power irregardless of party. If you have a dirty cop or police department then I have no problem putting them in a cell............

If it happened in my neighborhood, then I'd join the protests until they become the problem and not the solution.

These protests are BS because of the violence that came with it. They violated the rights of locals by damaging businesses and locals in their riots............And looted the same.................

That is a pack of animals using the death of one to be criminals..........nothing more and nothing less.

ya utah and idaho are gigantic failures aren't they.

try using your brain.

As large angry mass protests attract the anarchist/criminal element we have to ask ourselves which we value most, the first amendment or personal property. For many here it is clear they do not value the first amendment rights of everyone because a few shitheads are in the mix. If we used that same rationale for the second amendment where policy is influenced by the very worst that we imagine can happen then gun laws would be a lot more restrictive.

Forum List

Back