Firefighters Watch As House Burns Down

Do they support the other elect officials from the county? The ones who voted on it?
And if he had paid $75 since the 90's which it sounds like he did. He has paid for the Fire Department in the past. It pretty much sound like he has helped pay for that Fire Department, every year but this one.
The Fire Chief sounds like a greedy asshole to me. If I was that guy, I would ask for a refund on all the fees he paid in years past. Those fees obviously didn't help him get his house saved.

Try that line of thinking with the IRS. Then go call the Director a greedy asshole when they tell you to pay. You'll lose more than your house.
:confused: That makes no sense whatsoever.

So the man forgets to pay one year, but has paid every other year, and they let his home burn down? Nice

No, he forgot one other time, had a chimney fire, the fire department came and put the fire out, and let him pay after wards. He was given a break once and expected it again.

SO WHAT?? When the first fire department idea was instituted, by Ben Franklin I believe, it was a VOLUNTEER service to the community. I understand that their services are now much more sophisticated and involve a great deal more expense. The man said he would pay them--and obviously they knew he would, because he had in the past. This neglect of a family in need is just plain dispicable and cannot be justified.

So, you claim his property taxes didn't go to the Fire Department, but don't portions usually go to the state and then are put back into things like Fire and Policemen retirement funds? I know my state just helped my city buy new fire engines. If they will protect brush fires in the county, wouldn't that mean the county probably funds part of that coverage. Where does the county get the money?

I say the man should get a refund for all the years he didn't receive service. They can't help him the year he forgot, he shouldn't help them the years they didn't do anything for him.

Property taxes go to the county, not the state. You don't pay taxes do you?

It isn't a claim by me, it is in the articles you should have read before spouting off crap.

The real irony here is, the city pays part of city property taxes to the county.

He forgot several years and paid late. The wife said that, not me.

So, you claim his property taxes didn't go to the Fire Department, but don't portions usually go to the state and then are put back into things like Fire and Policemen retirement funds? I know my state just helped my city buy new fire engines. If they will protect brush fires in the county, wouldn't that mean the county probably funds part of that coverage. Where does the county get the money?

I say the man should get a refund for all the years he didn't receive service. They can't help him the year he forgot, he shouldn't help them the years they didn't do anything for him.

Huh?? He didn't receive service during the years he paid because he didn't have a fire. The time he did have a fire and had forgotten to pay the fee, the fire company cut him a break. He paid the fee to ensure that he would get service if he had a fire and if his house HAD caught fire during the years he paid, the firemen would have put the fire out.

So the man forgets to pay one year, but has paid every other year, and they let his home burn down? Nice

No, he forgot one other time, had a chimney fire, the fire department came and put the fire out, and let him pay after wards. He was given a break once and expected it again.

SO WHAT?? When the first fire department idea was instituted, by Ben Franklin I believe, it was a VOLUNTEER service to the community. I understand that their services are now much more sophisticated and involve a great deal more expense. The man said he would pay them--and obviously they knew he would, because he had in the past. This neglect of a family in need is just plain dispicable and cannot be justified.

The neglect of the man not paying his 75 dollar fee is what is dispicable, just ask his mortgage holder.

He doesn't live in the city that funds the fire department. He lives in an unincorporated part of the county. His property taxes do not support the fire department - which is why he has the $75 per year fee to opt in for service.
Do they support the other elect officials from the county? The ones who voted on it?
And if he had paid $75 since the 90's which it sounds like he did. He has paid for the Fire Department in the past. It pretty much sound like he has helped pay for that Fire Department, every year but this one.
The Fire Chief sounds like a greedy asshole to me. If I was that guy, I would ask for a refund on all the fees he paid in years past. Those fees obviously didn't help him get his house saved.

If the fire had occurred during a year when he did pay the fee, his house would have been saved.

He has lived on that farm for 40 years. The man has paid taxes, and the fees the majority of the time. They should have saved his damn house. I don't give a shit about him forgetting.
What kind of country are we, where we are alright with someone who has paid his taxes, and is a citizen losing their house? I am sure as hell glad I don't live in that county.

Wow, look at all those county commissioners on the payroll ! :eusa_whistle:

Obion

County Mayor Benny McGuire, #1 Bill Burnett Circle (731) 885-9611
Hwy Chief Admin Off Gary Lofton, 2388 Phebus Lane (731) 885-5960
Circuit Court Clerk Harry Johnson, 7 Bill Burnett Circle (731) 885-1372
Adm of Elections Leigh Schlager, P.O. Box 52 (731) 885-1901
Sheriff Jerry Vastbinder, 1 Law Lane (731) 885-5832
Clerk & Master Paula Rice, P.O. Box 187 (731) 885-2562
Register of Deeds Vicky Long, P.O. Box 514 (731) 885-9351
Purchasing Agent Laura Thomason, P.O. Box 236 (731) 885-8580
Trustee Lori Seals, P.O. Box 147 (731) 885-0951
County Clerk Vollie Boehms, 2 Bill Burnett Circle (731) 885-3831
Assessor of Property Kathy Robertson, P.O. Box 327 (731) 885-2931
Director of Schools David Huss, 316 S. Third Street (731) 885-9743
District Attorney General Thomas Thomas, 121 West Main Street (731) 364-5513
County Attorney Steve Conley, P.O. Box 427 (731) 885-2011
County Commissioner Tim Doyle, 1210 North Highway 45 West
County Commissioner Kenneth Barnes, 5765 Mt. Olive Road
County Commissioner Sam Sinclair, 1607 Stonewall Drive
County Commissioner James Bondurant, 2225 Wedgewood Drive
County Commissioner Jerry Grady, 3043 Possum Trott Road
County Commissioner Ned Bigelow, 1121 Polk Station Road
County Commissioner John Crocker, 133 Fourth Street
County Commissioner Richard Arnold, 1421 Forest Drive
County Commissioner Norma Fowler, 1213 Fairway Avenue
County Commissioner Paul Albright, 3698 Elbridge Obion Road
County Commissioner Terry Roberts, 976 Campground Road
County Commissioner Dean Jowers, 5441 Jack Douglas Road
County Commissioner Donnie Braswell, 5304 Ken Tenn Highway
County Commissioner Ralph Puckett, 8733 East Pierce Station Road
County Commissioner Terry Dwyer, 232 Glass Street
County Commissioner Polk Glover, 510 West Black Lane Road
County Commissioner Kenneth Cheatham, 2146 Oakshire Road
County Commissioner Henry Nohsey, P.O. Box 1
County Commissioner H. Dwayne Hensley, 515 North Clover Street
County Commissioner Danny Jowers, 202 West College Street
County Commissioner Cloney Taylor, 2225 Southmeade Street
Hwy Commissioner Bobby Ashlely, 5011 West Highway 21
Hwy Commissioner Larry Gray, 1059 State Line Road
Hwy Commissioner W. Netherland, 4020 Bill Jolley Road
Hwy Commissioner Baxter Sanders, 1034 Troy-Hickman Road
Hwy Commissioner Malcolm Cook, 1608 Pleasant Valley Road
Hwy Commissioner Jerry Kendall, 3267 North Shady Grove Road
Hwy Commissioner David Jacobs, 2571 David Crockett Road
Chancellor W. Michael. Maloan, 116 West Main Street, Suite 300 (731) 364-3276
Juvenile Court Judge Sam Nailling, 10 Bill Burnett Circle (731) 885-4550
Gen Sess Court Judge Raymond Morris, 9 Bill Burnett Circle (731) 885-1811
Circuit Court Judge William Acree, P.O. Box 576 (731) 884-2667

Government Mailing List
http://www.the911site.com/911lk/tennessee.shtml

The fire reportedly continued for hours “because garden hoses just wouldn’t put it out. It wasn’t until that fire spread to a neighbor’s property, that anyone would respond” — only because the neighbor had paid the fee.

A local newspaper further pressed Mayor Crocker about the city’s policy, which has been in place since 1990. Crocker, a Republican who was elected in 2008 and serves with a county commission where every seat is also filled by a Republican, likened the policy to buying auto insurance. The paper said he told them that, after all, “if an auto owner allowed their vehicle insurance to lapse, they would not expect an insurance company to pay for an unprotected vehicle after it was wrecked.”

Ironically, in the county commission’s latest report on its fire services, which outlines which parts of the municipal area will receive fire services only through subscriptions, the commissioners and fire service officials brag that the county is “very progressive.”
Think Progress Tennessee County’s Subscription-Based Firefighters Watch As Family Home Burns Down

Then the people of that county can do something about changing the policy. But the policy is if you don't pay the fee you don't get the service. It was his responsibility to pay his bill; he didn't and it cost him nearly everything. Very sad.

Obion

Government Mailing List

The fire reportedly continued for hours “because garden hoses just wouldn’t put it out. It wasn’t until that fire spread to a neighbor’s property, that anyone would respond” — only because the neighbor had paid the fee.

A local newspaper further pressed Mayor Crocker about the city’s policy, which has been in place since 1990. Crocker, a Republican who was elected in 2008 and serves with a county commission where every seat is also filled by a Republican, likened the policy to buying auto insurance. The paper said he told them that, after all, “if an auto owner allowed their vehicle insurance to lapse, they would not expect an insurance company to pay for an unprotected vehicle after it was wrecked.”

Ironically, in the county commission’s latest report on its fire services, which outlines which parts of the municipal area will receive fire services only through subscriptions, the commissioners and fire service officials brag that the county is “very progressive.”
Think Progress Tennessee County’s Subscription-Based Firefighters Watch As Family Home Burns Down

The REPUBLICAN mayor you are dissing is not the mayor of the jurisdiction in which Crannick lives. He lives in the unincorporated county.

Try again.

The neglect of the man not paying his 75 dollar fee is what is dispicable, just ask his mortgage holder.

What is dispicable, is the fire department that is funded by tax dollars would let his house burn down. What is dispicable, is first responders, letting this happen. If I was the local court, I would for one charge them with animal cruelty.

If the fire had occurred during a year when he did pay the fee, his house would have been saved.

He has lived on that farm for 40 years. The man has paid taxes, and the fees the majority of the time. They should have saved his damn house. I don't give a shit about him forgetting.
What kind of country are we, where we are alright with someone who has paid his taxes, and is a citizen losing their house? I am sure as hell glad I don't live in that county.

I don't know why they don't have a policy where if you forget to pay, they will still come out and help you but charge you a hefty fee/fine for it.

Obion

Government Mailing List

The REPUBLICAN mayor you are dissing is not the mayor of the jurisdiction in which Crannick lives. He lives in the unincorporated county.

Try again.

If they are deciding policies for this county, they should be held accountable.

Here is an ironcald point.

The city doesn't clean off the city installed sidewalk in front of my house in the winter. Techniquely, the sidewalk is in the city right of way. I pay city taxes, which I must do even on the sidewalk occupied land. The public uses the sidewalk all the time as it is near two schools.

I'm reminded of the scene in "Magnificent Obsession" in which a defibrillator is borrowed to save Rock Hudson's life. The person from whom it is borrowed dies because it is not available when he needs it.

The problem with thinking that those who refuse to pay should be saved at the expense of those who do is that inevitably, the resources will not be there for those who footed the bills.

Property taxes go to the county, not the state.
That is true in my state, but is it true in Tennessee? I couldn't find an answer, but the state of Tennessee gives property tax relief checks out to seniors and others of low income. That sounds as if the state collects the property tax.

I don't know why they don't have a policy where if you forget to pay, they will still come out and help you but charge you a hefty fee/fine for it.

I bet they amend their policy to do just that. They should have done it after the very first free loading episode. But that is the fault of those who live in the county and their country representatives, not that of the city and its fire department.

Obion

Government Mailing List

Try again.

:rolleyes: Try what again???

Obion

Government Mailing List

I guess it is more important to pay Republican county commissioners than it is to put out fires.

:thup:

What is dispicable, is the fire department that is funded by tax dollars would let his house burn down. What is dispicable, is first responders, letting this happen. If I was the local court, I would for one charge them with animal cruelty.

Apparently, the law is the law. A responsible person would weigh the issue of "saving $75.00, or paying for the $175,000 structure". I guess he wasn't very responsible. Having said that, I think it's too bad for the man and his family, but it wasn't like it was the first time with him.
I can't believe that there are people on this thread that give him a complete pass.

Forum List

Back