Firefighters Watch As House Burns Down

Since almost half the country pays no taxes. Your rant falls short of reality.

Half the country pays no federal income tax, which is the fault of George Bush and the GOP, if you care whose fault that is.

Anyone who applauds this episode, i.e., supports seeing a family's house burn down over a 75 dollar shortfall,

doesn't know or care much about seeing a punishment fit the 'crime', and secondly,

isn't smart enough to see what an idiotic system this is.

If a town needs to contract fire protection from an outside department, then the TOWN should contract it for the TOWN, and then incorporate the cost into the tax structure of the TOWN.

Anyone who doesn't see that that is a superior approach is stupid.

anyone who doesn't know the difference between a town and a county is even more stupid.

kudos-you've made the grade

What's your point?

Half the country pays no federal income tax, which is the fault of George Bush and the GOP, if you care whose fault that is.

Anyone who applauds this episode, i.e., supports seeing a family's house burn down over a 75 dollar shortfall,

doesn't know or care much about seeing a punishment fit the 'crime', and secondly,

If a town needs to contract fire protection from an outside department, then the TOWN should contract it for the TOWN, and then incorporate the cost into the tax structure of the TOWN.

anyone who doesn't know the difference between a town and a county is even more stupid.

What's your point?

That YUO = Idiot.

What's your point?

that you're in no position to call anyone stupid.

thanks for asking

Government needs to be run like most everyday Americans run their finances. Take care of the basic stuff first, and then buy the frills.

LOL. Everyday Americans more often than not are up to their asses in debt buying things they don't need with money they don't have.

...and as a progressive your right there pushing on the accelerator.

And as a rightwing idiot you don't know what you're talking about. I have never advocated for irresponsible spending or borrowing.

And personally I have no long term debt, credit cards paid off EVERY month, two vehicles that are paid for, and a home that is paid for.

Now tell us about your financial situation, smartass.

Government needs to be run like most everyday Americans run their finances. Take care of the basic stuff first, and then buy the frills.

LOL. Everyday Americans more often than not are up to their asses in debt buying things they don't need with money they don't have.

I said most. Most Americans are not in that category. Only the dumb ones.. the "sub prime" dummies as I call them.

...and as a progressive your right there pushing on the accelerator.

And as a rightwing idiot you don't know what you're talking about. I have never advocated for irresponsible spending or borrowing.

And personally I have no long term debt, credit cards paid off EVERY month, two vehicles that are paid for, and a home that is paid for.

Now tell us about your financial situation, smartass.

i'm the grand duke of luxembourg :eusa_shhh:

this internet thing is fun!

What do most states & municipalities do when the citizens cry uncle on taxes? They threaten to cut police, schools, fire, libraries and garbage collection. Never all the other bullshit that people can actually live without.

Yes they could have and they should have raised the tax by precisely $75 each if that is what they figured it would take to cover basic public services. (Where did the rest of the money get prioritized?) I don't know if it's been verified but someone posted the other day that half the people in the county chose not to pay that fee. To me it is unconscionable that the 21 commissioners said derr well that's just a fine policy for our county. Derr since we rolled the dice with this foolish policy for 20 years it must be OK..when we know of at least one example where the fire department took the fee after fighting a fire and we know of no other instance where a fire department ever stoodby as a matter of policy...?

As the program was in place for 20 years, the majority who voted for the commissioners must have been fairly satisfied with the arrangement.

What I'm saying is IF the existence of these commissioners and their foolish policy indeed reflect that citizens of Obion county were actually "fairly satisfied" for 20 years with this subscription fee for fire service policy, it is because they are being misled as if they haven't paid enough taxes already to cover the cost of basic public services. It is their leadership who is being irresponsible, rolling the dice and misappropriating public funds.

We know of at least one instance where they took the fee after doing the right thing and putting the fire out, and probably that happened many times over 20 years. Up to that point at no other time had the fire department stood by and let anyone's property burn down so apparently the policy was working fine, by sheer luck? Why would the county leadership (21 commissioners!!!) take the local funds and use them elsewhere, while half the county did not even pay the fee, when they had the power to make it compulsory? Just dumb.

I said most. Most Americans are not in that category. Only the dumb ones.. the "sub prime" dummies as I call them.

Consumer debt:

FRB: G.19 Release--Consumer Credit--September 8, 2010

Consumer debt:

FRB: G.19 Release--Consumer Credit--September 8, 2010

Well yes...in some cases.

It much harder to build things..then tear them down..or maintain the status quo.

For example, Eisenhower was villified as a "communist" when trying to improve national highways.

Stuff like that.

Wasn't Eisenhower a conservative?

He was a Republican..but pretty Moderate.

He was the President that warned against the "Industrial Military Complex".

He also refused Trumans request to run on the Democratic ticket because he was frustrated with changing politics on the part of the Democrats towards more liberal concepts.

Robert Creamer: Obion County Fire Tragedy Symbolizes Tea-Party-Republican Vision of Government

The Obion county story demonstrates what happens when we forget that government - financed by common taxes -- is the most efficient provider of so many goods and services.
It makes no economic sense to allow what is likely a multi-hundred thousand dollar home to be consumed by flames because a failure to pay a $75 fee. Now, either the insurance company or the Cranick's will have to build a brand new home in its place. Their former home was wasted because of the absurdity of the system that had been set up to protect it.

That same absurdity is implicit in so many of the other Republican economic positions. Its ultimate expression is the Republican desire to repeal health care reform and return us to an out of control system run by private health insurance companies that has cost us 50% more than any other country. That system is wasting trillions of dollars that come out of the pockets of middle class Americans -- just to allow private insurance companies and their top executives to make obscene amounts of money.

And with fire protection and health care, the moral consequences are also clear. Bad enough that someone's home was allowed to be destroyed because of the failure to pay a $75 fee. Would the firefighters have been allowed to intervene if the family pets were inside the house -- what about a child?

threads merged

As soon as I can stop laughing my ass off I'll respond to this remark :lol: :cuckoo:

Tell that to Teddy Roosevelt.

Why? Exactly?
You are kidding me right? I mean seriously. You contradict yourself with every post. You talk about conservatives and republicans who don't protect natural resources. Roosevlet was the pioneer in creating protected national lands. You talk about them not building infrastructure and then you make a post about Eisenhower being labeled a communist for pioneering the national highway system. All examples of conservatives leading the way in what you turn around and claim they don't do.

I guess what's confusing is the degree of "conservativism" these people had. Eisenhower was labeled a "communist" by people with pretty much the same values that the extreme conservatives now embody.

Have a look.
John Birch Society - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why? Exactly?
You are kidding me right? I mean seriously. You contradict yourself with every post. You talk about conservatives and republicans who don't protect natural resources. Roosevlet was the pioneer in creating protected national lands. You talk about them not building infrastructure and then you make a post about Eisenhower being labeled a communist for pioneering the national highway system. All examples of conservatives leading the way in what you turn around and claim they don't do.

I guess what's confusing is the degree of "conservativism" these people had. Eisenhower was labeled a "communist" by people with pretty much the same values that the extreme conservatives now embody.

Have a look.
John Birch Society - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Times change. Do you really think the likes of Obama or Kerry have anything in common with say an FDR? Eisnehower brough back a lot of what he saw in Germany to the US. The National Highway System. Give Hitler the credit. Half of what Eisenhower tried to introduce here was the brainchild of Albert Spear.

As to whether Obama and Kerry have anything in common with FDR? Sure..but they are a good deal less bold.

And no..I don't give Hitler credit for anything.

He was a freaking monster.

Last edited:
It's $75/year. If they can't afford that, they should not be homeowners. Rent.

A lot of people only have money for bills, food, and their health expenses (if that much).. I know a ton of people who couldn't spare an extra $75 a year. Everyone doesn't have money running out their ears.

Right so who should be paying for the service? The rich? Good grief, if he wanted it covered in taxes, he is welcome to live in an area where that happens. He chose to live somewhere where they are offered an option - pay or not. He chose not to and he got screwed. Unlucky.

Good point. Many people choose to live outside of metro areas for the lower taxes. Of course with lower taxes you get less services. It goes hand in hand. There is a reason why certain areas have higher taxes. They provide services. He had fire protection offered to him a la carte. There was a fee associated which he elected not to pay. It's kind of like passing on the collision option on your insurance. Don't take it, you have risk associated.

As to whether Obama and Kerry have anything in common with FDR? Sure..but they are a good deal less bold.

And no..I don't give Hitler credit for anything.

He was a freaking monster.

Hitler was a visionary. He was a meglomaniac which eventually brought him down. But he took a country on the balls of their ass and made them great again.

FDR was a completely different animal. Yes he offered social programs, entitlements what ever you want to call them. Difference is to get them you worked, and you worked where he made the work available. You wanted your hand out pay you did grunt work building a dam or leveling a road.

A national highway system was Hitlers vision.

Forum List

Back