First Powered Flight on Another Planet a Success

I'm having a hard time not thinking that flying a toy helicopter on Mars was nothing but a waste of money
The 5th flight of Ingenuity was successful and landed in new location. It was a one-way flight and during this flight drone gained a new altitude — 10 meters. It was a new record. On the whole, helicopter just started to perform its mission — to explore new sites for the rover, and it does it successfully. So as you can see Ingenuity makes an important job and helps scientists in the exploration of Mars
Still a waste of money.
I can partially agree with you. There are a lot of issues on Earth that could have benn solved with the usage of money NASA spent on Perseverance mission. However, we need to move forward and keep on exploring space. And the Perseverance mission shows a great result in Mars exploration area
I don't see how spending billions of dollars exploring mars will give us any benefits.

I'm having a hard time not thinking that flying a toy helicopter on Mars was nothing but a waste of money
The 5th flight of Ingenuity was successful and landed in new location. It was a one-way flight and during this flight drone gained a new altitude — 10 meters. It was a new record. On the whole, helicopter just started to perform its mission — to explore new sites for the rover, and it does it successfully. So as you can see Ingenuity makes an important job and helps scientists in the exploration of Mars
And the overall context is that nothing like this has ever been done in the humsn history. It is in the class of the most cutting edge achievments. The engineering, design and execution could not have been accomplished in any other way known to man. This is the first and only first.

It's flying a drone by remote control.

Little kids do it every day.

And the overall context is that nothing like this has ever been done in the humsn history. It is in the class of the most cutting edge achievments. The engineering, design and execution could not have been accomplished in any other way known to man. This is the first and only first.

The Ingenuity helicopter just started to perform its mission — to explore new sites for the rover, and it does it successfully. We need to explore and get to know something new in the area of space because now it might be the largest mystery for humans.

The Ingenuity helicopter just started to perform its mission — to explore new sites for the rover, and it does it successfully. We need to explore and get to know something new in the area of space because now it might be the largest mystery for humans.

I don't think we're going to find anything new on Mars.

And even if we did I don't think it justifies the money spent on sending toy helicopters to MArs

And even if we did I don't think it justifies the money spent on sending toy helicopters to MArs
Nowbody knows what we can find on Mars. Humans always have an expancion spirit and the desire getting to know something new. It`s in our blood. Mars exploration will keep going on, no metter what do think about that.

Nowbody knows what we can find on Mars. Humans always have an expancion spirit and the desire getting to know something new. It`s in our blood. Mars exploration will keep going on, no metter what do think about that.

And I'll still think it's a waste of money.

Huge amounts of money are wasted all around the world in different areas. This is scientific exploration which can open something new for humanity.

Huge amounts of money are wasted all around the world in different areas. This is scientific exploration which can open something new for humanity.

We're never going to live on Mars, we are never going to mine Mars for resources and just because money is wasted on earth is no reason to waste even more sending toys to Mars.

We're never going to live on Mars, we are never going to mine Mars for resources and just because money is wasted on earth is no reason to waste even more sending toys to Mars.
You never now what can happen in the future. I don`t support Mars colonization either, but we do not know aything what can happen in 100-200 years. Probably, we will have technology that will allow us colonizing the red planet.

This message is a bit out of thread but I wanna discuss with you one interesting point about the volcanic activity on Mars. It was discovered not so long ago. Scientists thought that volcanic eruptions ended 2,5 millions years ago, but the recent study showed that the Red Planet can be still volcanically active. If somebody has some interesting pieces of information about the volcanic activity on Mars, please share)

Plans are underway for NASA’s Ingenuity Mars Helicopter to make its sixth flight on the Red Planet in the next week. The flight is the first to be executed during the helicopter’s operations demonstration phase and includes scouting multiple surface features from the air and landing at a different airfield

Curiosity Rover has captured stunning images of the rare, shimmering clouds that exist on Mars. clouds are rare on the Red Planet due to its thin, dry atmosphere. Clouds can typically be found at the planet’s equator during the coldest parts of a Martian year when Mars is farthest from the sun.

Forum List

Back