Food Challenges?

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
Anyone here ever tackle a food challenge?

When I lived in San Diego I tried two: One was a breakfast challenge at the Broken Yolk. My brother in law and I both made the attempt and succeeded. I swore I would never do it again. Well, fast forward about ten years, and I tried doing one with a burger, fries and cole slaw. If I ate it all, it would be free. If I didn't, it was $30.

The burger was two pounds of beef, cooked medium. The bitch of it, though, was that the bun was sourdough. The bread was just too dense. I got about a third of the way through it in a hour before calling "UNCLE!"

It was definitely something I shouldn't have tried, because it fucked me up for three days.

Anyway, I started thinking about it after seeing this video, in which a kid eats an entire 2.5 lb burrito in under two minutes:

I'm semi-retired cement mason now and only work when I feel like it, but back when I was working long hours I would work up a hell of an appetite every day.

I've never seen a 2 pound burger, but there's been countless times I've eaten 4 half pound burgers in a sitting.

A cement mason my size will burn 500-600 calories per hour at work. So if you work a 12 hour day, that's at least an extra 6000 calories above your basal metabolic rate that you have to consume. I need to consume about 8000 calories/day just to keep from wasting away when I'm working a lot.

Back when I lived on the other side of town, after work I would oftentimes go to this little dive bar near my house that served excellent 1/2 pound burgers for cheap.

A half pound of ground beef is about 405 calories, and the bun I guesstimated at another 120 or so and the bacon, mushrooms and swiss adds about another 240. So that's about 765 calories a piece.

Four of those half pound bacon, mushroom, swiss burgers is only around 3060 calories. Add a few garden salads while waiting for you next burger and that's maybe 200 more calories. I would never eat their fries though, because they fried them in Crisco. I've been warning people about artificial trans fats since the 1980's, and a few years ago they were finally banned in the USA.

It is not uncommon for me to put down 3 or 4 thousand calories in a meal when I'm working a lot, especially if I don't have time for lunch. In the concrete business that happens quite often in the summer. After all, the concrete is not going to stop setting up while you take a lunch break.

Last edited:
Back in the day I might have tried em.
Used to be able to eat an entire 5lb Chicken with ease,a couple of yeast rolls,a pile of fried okra ,a bowl of mashed taters and a slice of apple pie for dessert.
Now days i'm stuffed after 2 or 3 pieces chicken and no sides.

Back in the day I might have tried em.
Used to be able to eat an entire 5lb Chicken with ease,a couple of yeast rolls,a pile of fried okra ,a bowl of mashed taters and a slice of apple pie for dessert.
Now days i'm stuffed after 2 or 3 pieces chicken and no sides.
Why not four fried chickens and a Coke?

Last edited:
I had a bowl of sausage and splt pea soup for dinner with 1/3 a sleeve of crackers and that was my only meal today. That will be enough to get me through the day. it probably had at least 14 or 15 calories in it.

Anyone here ever tackle a food challenge?

When I lived in San Diego I tried two: One was a breakfast challenge at the Broken Yolk. My brother in law and I both made the attempt and succeeded. I swore I would never do it again. Well, fast forward about ten years, and I tried doing one with a burger, fries and cole slaw. If I ate it all, it would be free. If I didn't, it was $30.

The burger was two pounds of beef, cooked medium. The bitch of it, though, was that the bun was sourdough. The bread was just too dense. I got about a third of the way through it in a hour before calling "UNCLE!"

It was definitely something I shouldn't have tried, because it fucked me up for three days.

Anyway, I started thinking about it after seeing this video, in which a kid eats an entire 2.5 lb burrito in under two minutes:

OMG.
That burrito would give me crippling heartburn. I love Mexican food, but that is insane.

I don't even want to imagine how long I would be crapping that out the next day.

At least long enough to make thirty posts here anyways. :p

I have wanted to. I almost tried a wing challenge. I was hitting on the bar tender so she let me try the final sauce (which they arent allowed to do) and i said fuck it lol.
That shit was absolutely ridiculous.

I have wanted to. I almost tried a wing challenge. I was hitting on the bar tender so she let me try the final sauce (which they arent allowed to do) and i said fuck it lol.
That shit was absolutely ridiculous.

I did the same at I believe was Wingstop.
I figured that it would be like most so called hot wings.
Boy was I wrong!!! And I can eat some seriously hot food,this shit was like napalm!!!!
It was far hotter than the Carolina Reaper which I found to be pretty damn hot but not as bad as expected.

We used to have a restaurant here named East Tennessee Wings. If you were able to eat five of them, each one of them would be free. A form had to be signed first before eating them though because of how hot they were. I never once went to the place, but I do know of one person who did, and they signed the form. They managed to eat all five wings and so they didn't have to pay for them.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

P.S. The most breadsticks that I have eaten from Fazoli's in one night so far is 16. That was about two years ago. I recently ate a large pepperoni pizza from Little Caesar's, the one that is only five to six dollars and the only part that I didn't touch was the crust. If it had been softer, I probably would've eaten it all too.

^^^ I second that. I will never be one of them people who enters a contest to see who can take in the most food in a five-minute period. Years ago, a lady did that trying to win her kids a new video game and she ended up dead because of how much she consumed only water instead of food is what killed her. She wasn't even the winner. Instead, she came in second and was given tickets to a concert that she never made it to because of what happened with her.

God bless you and her family always!!!

Holly

P.S. If I remember right, a Sacramento radio station is where the contest took place and was eventually shut down because of the tragedy.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back