For the 2nd time I think maybe a catering business might be right for us...

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
My son's wedding was yesterday. Great day for all the right reasons. And the cicada's added comic relief for sure as the ceremony was outside.
The reception was nice... fun... like they are supposed to be.
But the food. Over and over for years you get this bland, underwhelming food at weddings.
Not one single offering I can't do better, really better. Just sayin...
Pasta that is way overcooked, rubbery chicken, meatballs that I know they boiled and put them in a marinara sauce with the main flavor is sugar.
Marinara should be rich, herbaceous and complex. Not sweet and salty.
Maybe the time is right...

My son's wedding was yesterday. Great day for all the right reasons. And the cicada's added comic relief for sure as the ceremony was outside.
But the food. Over and over for years you get this bland, underwhelming food at weddings.
Pasta that is way overcooked, rubbery chicken, meatballs that I know they boiled and put them in a marinara sauce with the main flavor is sugar.
Really is a crap shoot. Even if you taste the food there is no guarantee that what you ordered is what you get. Niece had a fantastic wedding. Put a lot of work in including the choice of food. According to my brother she was rdy to do violence to caterer for what was served. I think reputation wins in the end. I say go for it. Get to do what ya like and go to weddings every week....what a deal

I think that serving such a big crown kinda at once makes it difficult.

Not made to order.

Precooked and warmed to come across as a big wave.

I think that serving such a big crown kinda at once makes it difficult.

Not made to order.

Precooked and warmed to come across as a big wave.
But you can prep for that. I have catered a few events for relatives and my son's swim team/parents in the past.
For instance the meatballs... instead of boiling them, you can blanch them instead and then blast them in a 500 degree oven for only a few minutes to brown/caramelize. That will turn a mushy/gray mess into a nice, drier-textured ball with caramelization.

I've had plenty of people tell me I should open a restaurant.
There's no fucken way I could deal with that,I dont like most people and to have some asshole complain about my cooking? Hell No!!
I'd turn into the Soup Nazi!!!
Oh for sure... people have been telling me that also for many years. I gave it a passing thought 20 some years ago but, although I do love cooking, I didn't want it to consume my life. And if you are going to be successful as a restaurateur, it has to.
For catering, your life is consumed a few days a week. Not 7.
At this point in my life, I don't need a huge income. So I don't need to service several a week in order to make it. And it isn't a lot of money, if you charge say, $15 a plate and it is for 200 people - that is only $3000. You will have approx. $1,000 of that in food, and I figure about $800 in staff wages. That leaves you with $1,200. Not a lot.

Don't forget the liability aspects and related insurance costs to CYA.
If someone claims they got sick because of what you served, you could be in for some real and extra headaches, so to speak.

Often you are seeking to please the lower level tastes, especially the larger the crowd you are serving. Some, many, people don't like food that is too spicy, hot, exotic, or different.

When choosing a caterer references are always a good start. See if you can attend a function they are doing, or get some samples from such to see if you like the taste of what they do.

Years ago, the wife and I did a couple of catering events/weddings and it is a surprising amount of work, expense, and sometimes hassle if you have "too many cooks" helping with the project. The larger the volume of what you are cooking, the greater the chance that quality and taste may be marginalized. If one has ever been in the military and had mess hall chow, you'll understand where I'm coming from and the issues involved in cooking for scores to hundreds in one shot.

Also, cater for hire usually requires commercial scale kitchens and dealing with local health departments, permits, etc.

If someone claims they got sick because of what you served, you could be in for some real and extra headaches, so to speak.
Oh for sure, If we do it, it won't be till next spring. I have operated a successful manufacturing company for a number of years and am familiar with all the aspects of operating a business. I will research the hell out of it before investing $.10 into it.

Oh for sure, If we do it, it won't be till next spring. I have operated a successful manufacturing company for a number of years and am familiar with all the aspects of operating a business. I will research the hell out of it before investing $.10 into it.
Then you are likely better prepared than most.

The positive side is that this is an area where niche market can really apply and I've attended events where the catered food was surprisingly good considering the volume ~ numbers of guests to be served.

One basic would be to find and offer recipes that are the sort which lend to making in large quantities and still retain above average quality. Usually 2-4 main dishes to accommodate the variety of tastes/preferences you may have to deal with. Some guests won't do fish, or shellfish, or pork for example, while others will gobble such down.

A large commercial scale kitchen with at least a couple of ranges/stove-tops, a couple of ovens and warmers, along with freezers and fridges. Then the next step is a vehicle(s) that are arranged inside to transport without spillage and can also keep hot/warm and cold at required travel temps. Then the equipment for on site to continue proper temps during serving.

Such as above along with the cookware, containers, dishes and flatware, etc. can make start-up a bit capital intensive.

I've had plenty of people tell me I should open a restaurant.
There's no fucken way I could deal with that,I dont like most people and to have some asshole complain about my cooking? Hell No!!
I'd turn into the Soup Nazi!!!
Oh for sure... people have been telling me that also for many years. I gave it a passing thought 20 some years ago but, although I do love cooking, I didn't want it to consume my life. And if you are going to be successful as a restaurateur, it has to.
For catering, your life is consumed a few days a week. Not 7.
At this point in my life, I don't need a huge income. So I don't need to service several a week in order to make it. And it isn't a lot of money, if you charge say, $15 a plate and it is for 200 people - that is only $3000. You will have approx. $1,000 of that in food, and I figure about $800 in staff wages. That leaves you with $1,200. Not a lot.

I here ya,taking something you enjoy doing and then being forced to do it kinda takes the fun out of it.
When I fished a lot I tried my hand at bass Tournaments and found I didnt care for them.
What was a relaxing hobby turned into a high pressure job.

Then you are likely better prepared than most.

The positive side is that this is an area where niche market can really apply and I've attended events where the catered food was surprisingly good considering the volume ~ numbers of guests to be served.

One basic would be to find and offer recipes that are the sort which lend to making in large quantities and still retain above average quality. Usually 2-4 main dishes to accommodate the variety of tastes/preferences you may have to deal with. Some guests won't do fish, or shellfish, or pork for example, while others will gobble such down.

A large commercial scale kitchen with at least a couple of ranges/stove-tops, a couple of ovens and warmers, along with freezers and fridges. Then the next step is a vehicle(s) that are arranged inside to transport without spillage and can also keep hot/warm and cold at required travel temps. Then the equipment for on site to continue proper temps during serving.

Such as above along with the cookware, containers, dishes and flatware, etc. can make start-up a bit capital intensive.
Looking for good used will be key.
New... just the flatware and dishware would be between $3 - $4000.
The cheapest costs is serving equipment... chafing dishes, carving station and other misc.
With cookware - again trying to find good used is ideal for the large pots etc. Commercial frying pans are non forgiving in costs for sure.
And then of course comes the appliances... again used is the way to go... hopefully benefitting from someone else's failure.
All in all, if through investigating this I can't get a positive ROI in 3 years time... then not doing it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back