Ford Maverick

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Ford has announced that it will introduce a new, small pickup truck this week, to be called the "Maverick." Slotted below the Ranger, base price is rumored to be around $20-22k. One can only hope.

While I probably will not buy one, I have long thought that they current U.S. pickup market has a giant "hole" in it, with no compact trucks available, particularly with a usable 6' bed. It has been done before, so I know it's possible. Let's hope this is not some ridiculous thing like the Kia/Hyundai truck with a two-foot bed and four seats or the old Subarus.

Still looks like a big truck but powered by a 3 or 4 cylinder motor
and a 2200towing limit

Holden-Ute-SS-V-Redline-047.jpg

I would rather have something like this...

I've had 2 Rangers in the past- a 99 and on 02 Sport (both extended cab)- both had the 3.0 v6 with a 5 speed- they were good, reliable little trucks that were comfortable for me-

Ford has announced that it will introduce a new, small pickup truck this week, to be called the "Maverick." Slotted below the Ranger, base price is rumored to be around $20-22k. One can only hope.

While I probably will not buy one, I have long thought that they current U.S. pickup market has a giant "hole" in it, with no compact trucks available, particularly with a usable 6' bed. It has been done before, so I know it's possible. Let's hope this is not some ridiculous thing like the Kia/Hyundai truck with a two-foot bed and four seats or the old Subarus.

I can't remember the last time I saw a truck with a 6' bed. They seem to be out of fashion. To my mind, anything shorter is pretty much useless...

I can't remember the last time I saw a truck with a 6' bed. They seem to be out of fashion. To my mind, anything shorter is pretty much useless...
Don't most of the crew-cab 3/4 ton trucks have a six-foot bed?

That's a nice looking truck. A lot of people yap that compact trucks in this country need to come back (I agree) so there you go. Comes standard with a hybrid engine that hauls 1,500lbs and tows 2k or you can get a 2.0 ecoboost that tows 4k.

I wonder if an all electric version is in the works too.

Let's see, Bronco, Bronco Sport, F-150 Lightening and now the Maverick. All of them launched within a year. All of these models appear to be affordable as well.

Coming up is the Raptor R and a Bronco Raptor. These won't be affordable and are purely performance machines.

Chevy relaunched Blazer....

1623159730630.png

.....because the world totally needed something else that looked like every other crossover SUV on the market.

I guess they also relaunched the EV Hummer as well.
1623159925090.png

At a weight of over 9k lbs...yikes.

Key facts: Overall length, just shy of 200 inches (a foot shorter than the Ranger). Optional engine, 2-liter turbo 4, 250 HP. Base model is FRONT wheel drive. With the 3500 weight, this gives a very nice power-to-weight ratio. Bed 54.5 inches...pretty lame. For reference, a real bed is 6' (72 inches), and optimal is 8' (96 inches). But it's not all that much shorter than the candy-ass bed in most four-door trucks to day (60"). Hopefully they will have a factory bed extender of some kind, in case you want to haul a fucking piece of plywood, drywall, or an 8' 2x4.

Key facts: Overall length, just shy of 200 inches (a foot shorter than the Ranger). Optional engine, 2-liter turbo 4, 250 HP. Base model is FRONT wheel drive. With the 3500 weight, this gives a very nice power-to-weight ratio. Bed 54.5 inches...pretty lame. For reference, a real bed is 6' (72 inches), and optimal is 8' (96 inches). But it's not all that much shorter than the candy-ass bed in most four-door trucks to day (60"). Hopefully they will have a factory bed extender of some kind, in case you want to haul a fucking piece of plywood, drywall, or an 8' 2x4.

They do, the bed with the tailgate down is 6ft.

I don't know why some 'critics' do this and complain about a vehicle because it doesn't personally meet their needs. If somebody needed a 6 or 8 ft bed then buy a bigger truck. Or, go yell at El Caminos long since past.

Looks to have an inline 4, maybe there is an option for an inline 6. which you would need for towing. I imagine these will be hard to stock for dealers, demand will be very high. I love smaller trucks, and they will be coming back again.

Looks to have an inline 4, maybe there is an option for an inline 6. which you would need for towing. I imagine these will be hard to stock for dealers, demand will be very high. I love smaller trucks, and they will be coming back again.

Will it have the Eco-boost?

There is an optional 2.0 four-cylinder ecoboost that tows 4klbs.

Last edited:

There is an optional 2.0 four-cylinder ecoboost that tows 4lbs.

4 lbs?

There is an optional 2.0 four-cylinder ecoboost that tows 4lbs.

4 lbs?
That's not enough?

I fixed it in my post, 4k lbs.

Even most 4-door BIG TRUCKS only have a five foot bed. In order to get a bigger bed you have to go for the extended cab version (rather than four door), or regular cab. Regular cab work trucks occasionally are sold with the old 8' bed. Same bed lengths apply to the "mid-size" trucks, although none are sold with an 8' bed.

The reason why I abhor the 5' bed is it is nearly worthless for suburban life. You can't get a load of mulch with a 5' bed; the bucket is usually 6' wide. As for lumber and plywood or drywall, it's sticking out of those short beds by a couple feet.

The Maverick has cutouts in the bed liner, and if you place a 2x6 on top of the wheel wells and another one vertically, further back (into insets intended for that purpose), AND you put the tailgate down halfway (they provide a separate anchor for that purpose), then the plywood/drywall only extends beyond the tailgate by about 18". I suppose that's OK. They also have a bed extender that encloses the entire space with the tailgate in the down position.

Overall, I think the Maverick is a cool little truck and will sell like hotcakes. Don't be surprised if the hybrid drivetrain is pretty quick. The two motors would peak out at at least 200HP in a 3500 pound vehicle.

Forum List

Back