Gasoline Is Becoming Worthless

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
That is the opinion of Wall St. investors, who think it could be a money loser by 2030.

New research from Morgan Stanley argues that traditional internal combustion engines—the mainstay of automobiles for more than a century—are destined to become money-losers as early as 2030. “We believe the market may be ascribing zero (or even negative?) value for ICE-derived revenues at GM and Ford,” auto analyst Adam Jonas wrote in a Jan. 29 analysis. He lists a variety of factors likely to “transform what were once profit-generating assets into potentially loss-making and cash-burning businesses.”

And more of the story I find interesting:

The investing firm recently surveyed institutional investors on the value of internal-combustion technology at GM and Ford. Seventeen percent said ICE technology had no value or negative value today. Sixty percent rated ICE technology as slightly positive, while 23% said it was a significantly positive value. That’s with electrification technology still in the early innings: total market share for fully electric vehicles is still less than 3%.

Risk in adapting too slowly
But essentially all of the growth in powertrain adoption in coming years will be electric, while ICE powertrains are certain to decline. The risk for automakers isn’t adapting too quickly and getting ahead of the market. It’s adapting too slowly and becoming overly reliant on dying technology consumers may no longer want as electrics get cheaper and range improves. That extends to factory capacity, with ICE assembly lines possibly becoming stranded assets with no market value. It would cost automakers money to disassemble or convert them to valuable use, thus the possibility of negative value

New research from Morgan Stanley argues that traditional internal combustion engines—the mainstay of automobiles for more than a century

GREAT NEWS! Then as time goes on, you won't be able to give gas cars away, or gas, no one will want them or use them and as market demand drops, prices for gas cars and gasoline will PLUMMET making gas cars CHEAP to buy and CHEAP to operate while the rest of you yutzes fork out bigly for electric battery cars!

And since so few gas cars will be on the road, they will no longer be any environment factor either! :eusa_dance:

Apparently what the OP means is that ICE car technology is becoming worthless, not "gasoline".

The distinction matters because as those of us invested in oil stocks know, an oil company is an energy company and already spreading tentacles into alternate forms of energy beyond its own legacy, and has the reach to do it.

LOL...

Yeah, Yahoo SNEWS.....

Then again anything that calls it's self "news" anymore means it's Nothing Educational Worth Seeing.

I can't imagine that just about everything with a gas engine at some point will be replaced with an electric motor, but in 10 years? On top of that there are still things going on far away from electrical grids that will have to be charged by generators run on some sort of fuel. There will still be millions of people with gas fueled cars, even some that are historic/classic and they will not just junk them. Gas isn't going away in 10 years. Thanks to sniveling environazi leftist parasites it will just be expensive.

New research from Morgan Stanley argues that traditional internal combustion engines—the mainstay of automobiles for more than a century

GREAT NEWS! Then as time goes on, you won't be able to give gas cars away, or gas, no one will want them or use them and as market demand drops, prices for gas cars and gasoline will PLUMMET making gas cars CHEAP to buy and CHEAP to operate while the rest of you yutzes fork out bigly for electric battery cars!

And since so few gas cars will be on the road, they will no longer be any environment factor either! :eusa_dance:

Maybe your scenario comes true, would be fine with me, the only problem is that electric cars will outperform them and, ultimately, be cheaper, too.

However, you can still use GPS technology to find gas stations for your cross country trips. :auiqs.jpg:

LOL...

Yeah, Yahoo SNEWS.....

Then again anything that calls it's self "news" anymore means it's Nothing Educational Worth Seeing.

I can't imagine that just about everything with a gas engine at some point will be replaced with an electric motor, but in 10 years? On top of that there are still things going on far away from electrical grids that will have to be charged by generators run on some sort of fuel. There will still be millions of people with gas fueled cars, even some that are historic/classic and they will not just junk them. Gas isn't going away in 10 years. Thanks to sniveling environazi leftist parasites it will just be expensive.

No one said gas is going away. Of course there will be gas cars, but this is about asset valuations, and the declining valuations of ICE cars. No one said it is going away, hell, we still have horse drawn carriages, right?

Fools believe that a novel approach ("Green Energy") is the way forward.

Little do they care the fact that "novel" approaches to meeting the needs of the masses always ultimately results in skyrocketing costs and less energy for all.
Wackos still plan on hiding in their basements indefinitely....zombievirus, melty glacier.....all excuses to hide and wait for more gubment welfare money. So gas means nothing to them they dont have to get to work.

Can't come fast enough.

Why do you say that? This sounds like it will be bad news for neighborhood grease monkeys who know how to work on gasoline engines.

They will have to adapt. Automation has already cost the U.S. millions of jobs, but someone has to know how to keep the machines running. And there will always be gasoline engine cars on the road, but their numbers will shrink if consumers want something more reliable and economical. Right now EV's are not there. Give it 10 years.

Maybe your scenario comes true, would be fine with me, the only problem is that electric cars will outperform them and, ultimately, be cheaper, too. However, you can still use GPS technology to find gas stations for your cross country trips.

A). As a retired EE, you don't need to tell me about electrical efficiency. Meantime my very used gas car which I paid $4,000 cash for with DOHC hemi motor, power everything, sunroof, leather interior, AM/FM/Cassette/6 CD player, cruise, AC, traction control, no rust, spotless exterior/interior, spacious trunk, seats 5 people comfortably and more, launches from a stop to 60 mph in a few seconds, hits top highway speed in like 6 seconds, does 115 on the highway. What more "performance" do I need? :disbelief:

B). I can go 300 miles no problem between fill ups, gas is cheap, and my annual upkeep is typically about $45, for my state inspection and emission test.

C). Just wait until it is time to replace your batteries (and heaven help you if they short out or blow up).

I will never own an electric car.

Forum List

Back