Going to visit my father's grave

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
I've never been. I haven't seen him since I was two years old. He died when he was two years older than I am now.

My heart goes out to him. My mother left him (for good cause, I believe), and he never saw us again. My family of origin tells me it broke his heart, losing us like that.

I wish I could have known him.

It broke my heart to have two kids by former wives never let me have contact with them, but I did get to pay child support.

• Banned
I am sorry you never knew him - but I am curious - why not visit his grave before now?

I only got reunited with my birth family last year. I just found out about half an hour ago that he was buried in the family plot, and not in Illinois, where he lived at the time of his death.

We're going to the family farm for my cousin's memorial Saturday, way up north. I looked up the cemetery, because another cousin said much of my family is in this particular cemetery. I expected to find my grandma and grandpa, one uncle - but not my dad. So, tears. And a planned side trip.

I am sorry you never knew him - but I am curious - why not visit his grave before now?

I only got reunited with my birth family last year. I just found out about half an hour ago that he was buried in the family plot, and not in Illinois, where he lived at the time of his death.

We're going to the family farm for my cousin's memorial Saturday, way up north. I looked up the cemetery, because another cousin said much of my family is in this particular cemetery. I expected to find my grandma and grandpa, one uncle - but not my dad. So, tears. And a planned side trip.

I'm tearing up with you Boop. But I think you'll find it will bring some closure.

I've never been. I haven't seen him since I was two years old. He died when he was two years older than I am now.

My heart goes out to him. My mother left him (for good cause, I believe), and he never saw us again. My family of origin tells me it broke his heart, losing us like that.

[MENTION=31258]BDBoop[/MENTION] i sincerely wish you the best in your visit to your dads grave

hope it is a start to resolve issues of the past

• Banned

[MENTION=31258]BDBoop[/MENTION] i sincerely wish you the best in your visit to your dads grave

hope it is a start to resolve issues of the past

It was wonderful. My sister and I had four of our newly discovered cousins with us. Thank you!

I am so glad for you, and I am sure all the Board feels the same.

If it is one thing my family gets right about divorce, if there are kids, everyone is in the family, even your ex spouse you can't stand. About thirty years a grandmother said well with that divorce, we won't see them again. So 37 folks on all sides of the family group kept dropping by that week to tell her she was going to get to see everybody and what a blessing, huh.

I have the neatest family.

• Banned
In coming up, we were not allowed to even mention that the two younger girls had a different dad then the two older. I got to the point where I'd say "My dad is first-generation Russian-American," but that was the man who my mom married when I was four, adopted me in 5th grade, and molested me in 6th.

MY dad is first-generation Finish-American. He was the youngest of nine. He served in Korea. He is coming alive through the words and pictures of my cousins.

My mom is adopted, and I only recently found this, my dad's family. My mom has a brother, also adopted, and he has two kids. So I never knew what it was like to see my own eyes in my cousin's face, or look over at my sister and our cousin - and see the same nose!! Lol!

The farmhouse is gone. It was too old and rickety, and it got torn down. The old outhouse suffered the same fate, and the new outhouse has a working toilet! But somebody hauls pails of water to a water barrel, and then there is a pot to pour the water into the back of the toilet, to flush. :)

The sauna is gone. The cabin my cousin Doug built when he was 17 is still standing.

I love these people. My sister and I really did not even know they existed, yet they never stopped looking for us. And the night I found them, they lit up the phones from Alaska to the east coast and all over Minnesota announcing that they found "Al's girls."

Families are like flowers. Some grow in gardens and some grow wild. Surround yourself with them while you can. :)

flowers.jpg

I hope you can find peace after visiting his grave. I dont know what it would be like growing up without my father. I grew up with an amazing dad and feel for anyone who did not get the same experience..

I hope you can find peace after visiting his grave. I dont know what it would be like growing up without my father. I grew up with an amazing dad and feel for anyone who did not get the same experience..

I am glad you were blessed by him.

I have several friends who had dads to be proud of. :) I am happy for them, just that they had a rock they could lean on ... Sounds wonderful.

In coming up, we were not allowed to even mention that the two younger girls had a different dad then the two older. I got to the point where I'd say "My dad is first-generation Russian-American," but that was the man who my mom married when I was four, adopted me in 5th grade, and molested me in 6th.

MY dad is first-generation Finish-American. He was the youngest of nine. He served in Korea. He is coming alive through the words and pictures of my cousins.

My mom is adopted, and I only recently found this, my dad's family. My mom has a brother, also adopted, and he has two kids. So I never knew what it was like to see my own eyes in my cousin's face, or look over at my sister and our cousin - and see the same nose!! Lol!

The farmhouse is gone. It was too old and rickety, and it got torn down. The old outhouse suffered the same fate, and the new outhouse has a working toilet! But somebody hauls pails of water to a water barrel, and then there is a pot to pour the water into the back of the toilet, to flush. :)

The sauna is gone. The cabin my cousin Doug built when he was 17 is still standing.

I love these people. My sister and I really did not even know they existed, yet they never stopped looking for us. And the night I found them, they lit up the phones from Alaska to the east coast and all over Minnesota announcing that they found "Al's girls."

THAT^^^^^is a great story!:clap2:

I am thankful that my parents are Christian and that I will see them again even when they leave this world.

Forum List

Back