Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
20220525_115921.jpg

Thing is AWESOME, even outdoors!

Now what to do with my two old ones...

Most homes are out of level/square/plumb by the time I get to them lol
Down here in Florida where we basically build on sand it's a real problem. I've seen 25 year old houses with 6 inch differences in floor levels. Some of the older beach houses built on wood pilings can be worse than that. There was one we had to lift as much as 8 inches in places to bring it back to level. All the doors had to be rehung and all the drywall cracked.

• Banned
Down here in Florida where we basically build on sand it's a real problem. I've seen 25 year old houses with 6 inch differences in floor levels. Some of the older beach houses built on wood pilings can be worse than that. There was one we had to lift as much as 8 inches in places to bring it back to level. All the doors had to be rehung and all the drywall cracked.
Wow!

The worst I usually run into is and inch or so out of plumb in corners. Which many times isn't a big deal if it's just painted but if you put up anything with a pattern....well, you're fucked lol

Wow!

The worst I usually run into is and inch or so out of plumb in corners. Which many times isn't a big deal if it's just painted but if you put up anything with a pattern....well, you're fucked lol
Back about thirty years ago the methods of building on wood pilings were not that well understood. Usually the problem is that insufficient non-treated girders were simply bolted to the pilings and a house built on top. These days we use 40 foot concrete pilings driven as much as 25 feet deep with concrete girders. We use 5/8" steel rods to hold the whole thing down with more Simpson metal straps than you would even believe. It's a lot of work but I haven't had one blow away yet.

Forum List

Back