Great Lakes Car Tour

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
With a Summer trip to Europe now off the table, I have been pondering a car trek around the Great Lakes. Basically, strap a canoe on the roof of the wagon, put the bike on a rack, and start driving. I consider going south of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, swinging around Lake Ontario to hit a couple small towns on the north side of the lake, then heading northwest before I get to Toronto, hitting the north side of Lake Huron, then to Mackinack, Michigan, going north of L.Superior around to Thunder Bay, then to Duluth, back arcoss the U.P., and home to Western Pennsylvania.

Scanning AirBnB rates for these small towns, it looks like I would be paying $50(US) per night or less on average, and getting 40+mpg with the wagon, it could be a nice, inexpensive 2-weeks.

Anybody know of any "must see" little towns or parks that are more-or-less on this route? The focus will be hiking, biking, canoing, and photography, with probably half a dozen wineries along the way.

With a Summer trip to Europe now off the table, I have been pondering a car trek around the Great Lakes. Basically, strap a canoe on the roof of the wagon, put the bike on a rack, and start driving. I consider going south of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, swinging around Lake Ontario to hit a couple small towns on the north side of the lake, then heading northwest before I get to Toronto, hitting the north side of Lake Huron, then to Mackinack, Michigan, going north of L.Superior around to Thunder Bay, then to Duluth, back arcoss the U.P., and home to Western Pennsylvania.

Scanning AirBnB rates for these small towns, it looks like I would be paying $50(US) per night or less on average, and getting 40+mpg with the wagon, it could be a nice, inexpensive 2-weeks.

Anybody know of any "must see" little towns or parks that are more-or-less on this route? The focus will be hiking, biking, canoing, and photography, with probably half a dozen wineries along the way.

I thought meandering through the UP via Sault Ste Marie was a charming trek. Woodsy and unspoiled.

What kind of wagon is giving you 40+ mpg? Are you hypermiling?

2015 vw golf sportwagen tdi. City or highway doesn't make much difference.

Two Harbors and Grand Marais, MN, are a couple of cool towns to spend a few hours...Home - Glensheen is a great tour in Duluth....Then there's the lift bridge Aerial Lift Bridge (Duluth) - 2020 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - Tripadvisor.... https://www.visitashland.com/is a great place to spend a day.

Well, sounds like you are on a budget. . . which is unfortunate. The states elite playground is Mackinac Island. Though, there are some "reasonable" rooms to book if you plan ahead.

Mackinac Island is the crown jewel of the north. It is where it all happens. Best time to arrive is either during the Lilalac festival if you like plants, or the Yatch races if you like the night life.

But if you are a history buff, it is not to be missed, this is where significant events happened during the French and Indian Wars & War of 1812 due to the strategic importance of shipping in the straights. You have Fort Michilimackinac in St. Ignace, and then on the Mackinac Island, you have Fort Mackinac and Fort Holmes which were involved in significant engagements in the war of 1812.

It also has significant natural beauty, a state park, and is on the National Registry of Historic places. A lot of folks don't know, and haven't visited what used to be the second National Park after Yellowstone.

"Following the Civil War, the island became a popular tourist destination for residents of major cities on the Great Lakes. Much of the federal land on Mackinac Island was designated as the second national park, Mackinac National Park, in 1875, three years after Yellowstone National Park was named as the first national park. To accommodate an influx of tourists in the 1880s, the boat and railroad companies built hotels, including the Grand Hotel. Island residents established souvenir shops to profit from the tourist trade. Many wealthy business magnates built summer "cottages" along the island's bluffs for extended stays.

When the federal government left the island in 1895, it transferred all of the federal land, including Fort Mackinac, to the state of Michigan; this area was designated as Michigan's first state park. The Mackinac Island State Park Commission, appointed to oversee the island, has restricted private development in the park. In addition it requires leaseholders to maintain the island's distinctive Victorian architecture.[7][25]

Motor vehicles were restricted at the end of the nineteenth century because of concerns for the health and safety of the island's residents and horses after local carriage drivers complained that automobiles startled their horses. This ban continues to the present, with exceptions only for emergency and service vehicles."
Mackinac Island - Wikipedia

The only way to the island is by ferry from Mackinaw City or St. Ignace. . or if you are really well off, private plane or yacht to the yacht club.
Arch Rock (Mackinac Island) - Wikipedia
Grand Hotel (Mackinac Island) - Wikipedia
Sugar Loaf (Mackinac Island) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Kitchen_(cave)

If you have ever seen the movie, "Somewhere in Time" with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour, that was filmed almost entirely on the island.

Mackinac.com Home

And I hear lots of folks up there in the U.P like to visit the Soo Locks and Tahquamenon Falls. I hear there is a whole waterfall tour up there, nothing spectacular. . . but nice nature stuff.

If you go, make sure you are in shape to do some biking, or a carriage ride to see the whole island. . . other wise, you walk. NO CARS!!! :71:
mackinac-island-logic_o_5962891.jpg

Thanks, y'all for the suggestions.

I have mixed thoughts on Mackinac Island. We will certainly include half a day there, but I am not inclined to pay $3-400/night to stay there.

I've only had the Diesel for two years (30k miles). One electronic problem - covered by the CPO warranty - would have cost $600. Otherwise, no issues.

You should be on the maumee or the vermillion river right now. Buddies limiting waleye in the msumee in under two hours and steel head the same in the vermillion. Please do not try and canoe main lake in western basin of lake erie. not safe stay in the rivers or bays. mud bay and maumee bay good for canoe but the rest pretty dangerous. Screw the northern jewel south bass is where it is at. camping spots on island for 30 per night. I always just stay on my boat

The trouble with fishing, as I see it, is that you might actually catch a fish. Eeeeeeeww!

Thanks, y'all for the suggestions.

I have mixed thoughts on Mackinac Island. We will certainly include half a day there, but I am not inclined to pay $3-400/night to stay there.

I've only had the Diesel for two years (30k miles). One electronic problem - covered by the CPO warranty - would have cost $600. Otherwise, no issues.

Yeah, that sounds like the Grand Hotel, DEFINITELY stay the hell away from there for your lodging. They charge you $10 bucks just to stroll around the grounds. lol

You most definitely want to take your bike, it will cost you about ten bucks or so to take it on the ferry, but you are looking at 40 or more to rent one for the day. Starline is cheapest, but they are 40 min both ways. I prefer Shepler's, they are mid-range, but half the time.

The oldest serving female mayor in the nation is Maureen Doud, her family also owns Doud's grocery on the island. If you want to save another 20 or 30 buck, pack a lunch, even the food at the grocery store is outrageously priced, as it is all shipped in and they have a Monopoly.

I have been to Disney World, Vegas, Cedar Point, etc. I still enjoy Mackinac more. Someday I would like to get to Williamsburg though, I think I would enjoy that except for that fact that there is no events history behind it other than politics.

Cheapest hotels ON Mackinac Island? : Michigan

How to Visit Mackinac Island on a Budget • Addie Abroad

Buy Ferry Tickets Online | Shepler's Ferry
Mackinac Island Summer Ferry Schedules

Ryba's owns most of the bike rentals and half the fudge shops in the state. Good fudge, just don't let them take you on the bike rentals.
Bikes Available and Rental Rates for Ryba's Bike Shop on Mackinac Island, Michigan

BTW. . . cops will stop you if you have had too much to drink and you are biking. I have seen it done. :auiqs.jpg:

Pretty embarrassing to have a DUI on M-185 a bike.

. . oh, and take a bike lock. Bike's are like cars on the island. The young folks that work on the island that see an unlocked, unattended bike, will joy ride on one and ditch it to get to where they want to go quickly with out a second thought.

Everyone that works on the island is either buzzed on booze or high all the time. Employees and managers alike.

Forum List

Back