Guidelines for Posting in the Debate Now Forum

Ladies and gents we cannot make everyone a moderator of their thread. I'd have to manually add every member to the section and thats simply not feasible.

I don't understand how people cannot follow a simple set of guidelines set forth by the OP. This forum was created for everyone to use, not just a select few. FoxFyre, or any other member for that matter, can create a thread that is open for a structured debate how they see fit. We're not here to judge who's thread is viable or who's is not. If you don't like the thread and/or the rules set forth by the op DON'T PARTICIPATE IN IT.

The beauty of this forum is that if you don't like a thread because of rules 1, 2, 3,....... Start your own thread with your own rules. This is what the forum is for. Create threads/topics that interest you, implement a few rules for the debate and open it up for discussion. The USMB community deserves a forum where they can come to to get away from trolling and derailing, and this is why the forum was created. Not everyone will like it, but thats life. Don't use the forum if you don't like it.

We're not curing cancer in here folks. This is all VERY easy.

I know that and you know that C_K, but the concept seems to be escaping some including I think even some of the mod squad who are having to field the MANY reports resulting from those who intend to disrupt or derail a SDZ thread.

I do appreciate that the software makes it unfeasible for the OP to moderate his/her own thread with thread bans. But would it be possible instead of just making report after report of those who are there to be disruptive--that has to be terribly annoying to the mods who don't have time to read a whole thread--that the OP can request removal of an offender and that can be done provided a prescribed number of warnings have been given in the thread?
Yes, that is already in effect. If we have to come down here 3X for any given member they are removed from the forum permanently. Their offending posts will also be removed (if warranted).

It's helps in the report if members add a note. Ex: Rule 3 says anyone using a Republican/Democrat in clown face can participate.

That way we can look at it immediately and decide what, if any, action should be taken.

Remember this forum will work if people take the time to report the offenders. They will either take the hint and stop being disruptive or they'll wash out (be removed) due to too many warnings

Okay, but I bet if you poll your mods, they are getting really REALLY tired of the reports. And in a recent discussion with one mod--one I respect, admire, and like without reservation--I think I was advised that unless I report EVERY violation by EVERY member, that the reports wouldn't be taken seriously? It was not phrased exactly like that but that was kind of the gist of it I think.

I prefer to not to report every minor slip or infraction--to me that would be silly most especially when it was obviously unintended. But those who are deliberately trying to derail the thread and/or disrupt the discussion and/or pick a fight I do report. And as a result my last thread in the SDZ was locked. (It has been graciously reopened.)

But as yet, when I have begged that an individual be removed from the thread, that has not yet happened I don't believe.

What I suggest is the OP give the offender three warnings in the thread and make a note of the offending posts. Then on the 4th infraction, send the offending post numbers in a report and ask that the offender be removed from the thread. Possible?

I think you may have misinterpreted what was said. There's no way humanly possible that members can report every violation by every member before we take the report seriously. If that were the case everyone, including us, should just throw in the towel now ;)

In regards to thread bans being possible? Very possible. How? By doing exactly what you are proposing. If members want to compile a list of links from the thread that shows Coyote (known trouble maker) openly violating the thread guidelines. We can easily remove her from it. The more info we have the better. Staff simply don't have time to wade through and entire thread so if the info is right at their finger tips they can just go "Yeah 3 offending posts, time to remove them from the thread and issue a warning"

Ladies and gents we cannot make everyone a moderator of their thread. I'd have to manually add every member to the section and thats simply not feasible.

I don't understand how people cannot follow a simple set of guidelines set forth by the OP. This forum was created for everyone to use, not just a select few. FoxFyre, or any other member for that matter, can create a thread that is open for a structured debate how they see fit. We're not here to judge who's thread is viable or who's is not. If you don't like the thread and/or the rules set forth by the op DON'T PARTICIPATE IN IT.

The beauty of this forum is that if you don't like a thread because of rules 1, 2, 3,....... Start your own thread with your own rules. This is what the forum is for. Create threads/topics that interest you, implement a few rules for the debate and open it up for discussion. The USMB community deserves a forum where they can come to to get away from trolling and derailing, and this is why the forum was created. Not everyone will like it, but thats life. Don't use the forum if you don't like it.

I know that and you know that C_K, but the concept seems to be escaping some including I think even some of the mod squad who are having to field the MANY reports resulting from those who intend to disrupt or derail a SDZ thread.

I do appreciate that the software makes it unfeasible for the OP to moderate his/her own thread with thread bans. But would it be possible instead of just making report after report of those who are there to be disruptive--that has to be terribly annoying to the mods who don't have time to read a whole thread--that the OP can request removal of an offender and that can be done provided a prescribed number of warnings have been given in the thread?
Yes, that is already in effect. If we have to come down here 3X for any given member they are removed from the forum permanently. Their offending posts will also be removed (if warranted).

It's helps in the report if members add a note. Ex: Rule 3 says anyone using a Republican/Democrat in clown face can participate.

That way we can look at it immediately and decide what, if any, action should be taken.

Remember this forum will work if people take the time to report the offenders. They will either take the hint and stop being disruptive or they'll wash out (be removed) due to too many warnings

Okay, but I bet if you poll your mods, they are getting really REALLY tired of the reports. And in a recent discussion with one mod--one I respect, admire, and like without reservation--I think I was advised that unless I report EVERY violation by EVERY member, that the reports wouldn't be taken seriously? It was not phrased exactly like that but that was kind of the gist of it I think.

I prefer to not to report every minor slip or infraction--to me that would be silly most especially when it was obviously unintended. But those who are deliberately trying to derail the thread and/or disrupt the discussion and/or pick a fight I do report. And as a result my last thread in the SDZ was locked. (It has been graciously reopened.)

But as yet, when I have begged that an individual be removed from the thread, that has not yet happened I don't believe.

What I suggest is the OP give the offender three warnings in the thread and make a note of the offending posts. Then on the 4th infraction, send the offending post numbers in a report and ask that the offender be removed from the thread. Possible?

I think you may have misinterpreted what was said. There's no way humanly possible that members can report every violation by every member before we take the report seriously. If that were the case everyone, including us, should just throw in the towel now ;)

In regards to thread bans being possible? Very possible. How? By doing exactly what you are proposing. If members want to compile a list of links from the thread that shows Coyote (known trouble maker) openly violating the thread guidelines. We can easily remove her from it. The more info we have the better. Staff simply don't have time to wade through and entire thread so if the info is right at their finger tips they can just go "Yeah 3 offending posts, time to remove them from the thread and issue a warning"

Sounds like a plan Could that be added to the guidelines? And don't use Coyote for an example LOL--she's one of my favorite people here and I can't imagine her EVER getting reported much less thread banned. :)

Sounds like a plan Could that be added to the guidelines? And don't use Coyote for an example LOL--she's one of my favorite people here and I can't imagine her EVER getting reported much less thread banned. :)

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Debate Now - Structured Discussion Forum
  • Site wide rules apply.
  • Zone 2 rules apply. (thread title and opening post, keep it reasonably civil or risk thread being moved)
  • The OP (original poster) must be written out and in your own words i.e. NO copy/paste or simple links.
  • The OP will clearly state what additional rules (3 or less) will apply to the discussion. The maximum total of three (3) rules MUST be adhered to at all times. Such rules might request that no partisan labels such as Democrat, GOP, liberal, conservative, etc. be used. Or that no specific religion be mentioned. Or no specific person can be named. Or that the discussion is limited to a specific person, document, event, group, etc. Civil or uncivil, whatever the rules will be up to the OP.
  • Members participating in this forum will be expected to follow the rules specified in the OP at all times. NO EXCEPTIONS.
  • It is recommended that any rules specified in the OP be simple, easy to understand, kept to a reasonable minimum, and that they make sense. (If rules are too broad, vague, complicated, restrictive, or numerous, it will be impossible to moderate their intent and purpose.)
**This forum is in beta and the guidelines/format MAY change as the forum begins to take shape. We do ask that members please respect the guidelines set forth by the members who create threads in order to keep the forum flowing and "trouble-free"**

**If members can't play nice and follow a simple set of guidelines, thread bans and/or removal from the Debate Now forum will occur**

Have fun and Enjoy!!

Question about the CDZ if you please C_K:

Does it have to be specifically debate?

I'd like to see a thread sharing Katrina pictures/stories but without the relentless partisan bickering over "it's your guys' fault, not my guys' fault". But it would be storytelling and illustration, not actual debate.

Could I do that?

Yet another thread after forum decorum.

Look, if i'm outta line pointing this out , i've wide enough shoulders to accept it

Keep in mind i read here , more than post here

IF you folks want better 'debate' , then try and be a better debater

Don't go off layin' it on the site or mods

Take some PERSONAL responsibility in what you post

You'll be better, the debate will be better, and this place will be better if YOU do so

THX

~S~

Forum List

Back