Gun violence in the world

2,000,000 DGU's/year means, 5480 DGUs/day, and that means, 230 DGUs/hour.

So. What do you find impossible?

Is it unbelievable that there are more than 230 metropolitan areas in the United States? Is that what's impossible?

It shouldn't be.

Is it unbelievable that in each metropolitan area, more than one serious crime is attempted every hour? Is that what's impossible? Could be.

Consider that the BJS claims a violent crime is reported at about 2,800,000 a year, and that an estimated 3,000,000+ violent crimes a year go unreported; about 16,000,000 property crimes are reported a year, while an estimated 48,000,000 go unreported.

That's like 53,600,000 criminal attempts each year; or 147,000 criminal attempts a day; or 6,125 attempts each hour.

That's somewhat more than 16 criminal attempts an hour for each metropolitan area.

Is it really impossible, that among all those serious crimes attempted every hour in each of those metropolitan areas, that in only one instance, a person might use a gun to defend themselves, their property, or those they care for? Is that what's impossible?

Back to making up numbers? Don't be so pathetic. Please link support for your crazy claim. Fbi and ncvs are way below your fantasy claims for attempted crimes. You really lack common sense.
You're just an asshole that's doesn't click links.

I "made up" no numbers. Not ever. You just refuse to accept that they are valid... validated by your preferred sources.

You are a moron with bad math and no common sense. Ncvs numbers are here:
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/cv12.pdf

They are way below your crazy numbers.
My numbers aren't crazy, and you're just an asshole.

Link to anything that supports your crazy numbers. The fbi and the ncvs say your numbers are crazy. You have no common sense.
My numbers aren't crazy--they are BJS' (agency responsible for the NCVS) own numbers; and you're just an asshole who doesn't click on the links provided for you.

I don't want there to be mass murders of innocent people.
Dead people are very poor shields.

Don't you two have anything of substance to post?

We don't want mass murders of innocent people either .....

In mass shootings at churches where the people are unarmed....15 deaths....

In mass shootings in churches where people have guns....2....

Now tell me who wants fewer people killed in mass shootings...

Far more people are killed in accidental shootings than mass shootings...

Accidental gun deaths in 2013.....505

Out of a country of over 320 million people....with over 11.1 million actually carrying guns for self defense.....

you need help....

And there are many fewer mass shooting victims. Your answer to the problem kills more than the problem.

Criminals, who cannot legally own a gun or carry a gun break the law and killed 8,454 people in 2013

Americans stop or prevent violent criminal attack and save lives on average 2 million times a year.....

First part true. Your second statement is pure fantasy supported by nothing in the real world. Not even mathematically possible with our crime rates.

Americans stop or prevent violent criminal attack and save lives on average 2 million times a year.....
Even if your number is off by 2 orders of magnitude.... guns are used in self-defense almost 2.5x more often than to commit murder.

But why should we give him that......actual studies show the number is much higher...and he is an ass too much of time and a gun grabber....I am tired of being nice with anti gun extremists....true, brain is more polite, and he never mentions my penis size....but he still supports gun grabbing......

I like brain, but if he gets his way a fundamental right will be extinguished...endangering future generations of Americans.....

Back to making up numbers? Don't be so pathetic. Please link support for your crazy claim. Fbi and ncvs are way below your fantasy claims for attempted crimes. You really lack common sense.

I "made up" no numbers. Not ever. You just refuse to accept that they are valid... validated by your preferred sources.

Link to anything that supports your crazy numbers. The fbi and the ncvs say your numbers are crazy. You have no common sense.
My numbers aren't crazy--they are BJS' (agency responsible for the NCVS) own numbers; and you're just an asshole who doesn't click on the links provided for you.

Your numbers are crazy fantasy. Please quote and link anything backing them. I see nothing at your link supporting your insane claim.

Again...the NCVS is not a gun use study....doesn't even ask about guns...why do you think their gun number is so low.....if you had a soft drink study and you never asked one question about tea...you would get very low numbers for tea as well..

And on top of that...they can't even do the job they are supposed to do.....

National Crime Victimization Survey A new report finds that the Justice Department has been undercounting instances of rape and sexual assault.

And another reason to not use the NCVS...they can't even count those things they are actually studying correctly, let alone something like guns that they aren't actually studying...

National Crime Victimization Survey A new report finds that the Justice Department has been undercounting instances of rape and sexual assault.

How helpful, then, that the Justice Department asked the National Research Council (part of the National Academies, which also includes the National Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Medicine) to study how successfully the federal government measures rape. The answer has just arrived, in a report out Tuesday with the headline from the press release: “The National Crime Victimization Survey Is Likely Undercounting Rape and Sexual Assault.” We’re not talking about small fractions—we’re talking about the kind of potentially massive underestimate that the military and the Justice Department have warned about for years—and that could be throwing a wrench into the effort to do the most effective type of rape prevention.....

But here are the flaws that call the nice-sounding stats into doubt: The NCVS is designed to measure all kinds of crime victimization. The questions it poses about sexual violence are embedded among questions that ask about lots of other types of crime. For example:

So......the NCVS can't get an accurate account of what it is researching....how do we know this...the numbers are off...

There is, in fact, an existing survey that has many of the attributes the NCVS currently lacks. It’s administered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and it’s called the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey. (NISVS is the acronym. Apologies for the alphabet soup.)

NISVS “represents the public health perspective,” as Tuesday’s report puts it, and it asks questions about specific behavior, including whether the survey-taker was unable to consent to sex because he or she had been drinking or taking drugs. NISVS was first conducted in 2010, so it doesn’t go back in time the way the NCVS numbers do. But here’s the startling direct comparison between the two measures: NISVS counted 1.27 million total sexual acts of forced penetration for women over the past year (including completed, attempted, and alcohol or drug facilitated).

NCVS counted only 188,380 for rape and sexual assault. And the FBI, which collects its data from local law enforcement, and so only counts rapes and attempted rapes that have been reported as crimes, totaled only 85,593 for 2010.

So no....the NCVS is not a tool to understand the use of guns for self defense..........And the most obvious point.......they undercount rape and sexual assault by a vast number compared to an actual study that researches rape and sexual assault....using the same method the anti gunners claim for the number of gun defenses....

But here’s the startling direct comparison between the two measures: NISVS counted 1.27 million total sexual acts of forced penetration for women over the past year (including completed, attempted, and alcohol or drug facilitated).

NCVS counted only 188,380 for rape and sexual assault.

It is one of the few studies that gives a result that is possible. Millions isn't mathematically possible.

It is one of the few studies that gives a result that is possible.

Wrong....it is the only study that give a number that low by not asking about guns......the other studies are done by actual researchers, both private and government, over 40 years....at least 19 of them done by separate researchers....and they actually ask about gun use....go figure......

And the vast majority of gun studies say it is less than your claimed 2million. Your biggest la times study doesn't seem to exist. The next biggest wasn't even a national study. Nothing from reality supports your claims. They are not even mathematically possible given our crime rates.

Is it unbelievable that there are more than 230 metropolitan areas in the United States? Is that what's impossible?

It shouldn't be.

Is it unbelievable that in each metropolitan area, more than one serious crime is attempted every hour? Is that what's impossible? Could be.

Consider that the BJS claims a violent crime is reported at about 2,800,000 a year, and that an estimated 3,000,000+ violent crimes a year go unreported; about 16,000,000 property crimes are reported a year, while an estimated 48,000,000 go unreported.

That's like 53,600,000 criminal attempts each year; or 147,000 criminal attempts a day; or 6,125 attempts each hour.

That's somewhat more than 16 criminal attempts an hour for each metropolitan area.

Is it really impossible, that among all those serious crimes attempted every hour in each of those metropolitan areas, that in only one instance, a person might use a gun to defend themselves, their property, or those they care for? Is that what's impossible?

No source supports your insane numbers. But you are the moron who originally thought we had over a 100 million crimes each year...
Then your very own sources don't support the numbers I've submitted.

Even if your number is off by 2 orders of magnitude.... guns are used in self-defense almost 2.5x more often than to commit murder.

But why should we give him that......actual studies show the number is much higher...and he is an ass too much of time and a gun grabber....I am tired of being nice with anti gun extremists....true, brain is more polite, and he never mentions my penis size....but he still supports gun grabbing......

I like brain, but if he gets his way a fundamental right will be extinguished...endangering future generations of Americans.....
I wouldn't ban guns for many reasons. I don't think it matters if defenses are 100k or 5k. You'd have to prove a positive effect from a ban and I have no argument for that. I have never argued to ban guns.

It is one of the few studies that gives a result that is possible. Millions isn't mathematically possible.

Wrong....it is the only study that give a number that low by not asking about guns......the other studies are done by actual researchers, both private and government, over 40 years....at least 19 of them done by separate researchers....and they actually ask about gun use....go figure......

And the vast majority of gun studies say it is less than your claimed 2million. Your biggest la times study doesn't seem to exist. The next biggest wasn't even a national study. Nothing from reality supports your claims. They are not even mathematically possible given our crime rates.

It shouldn't be.

No source supports your insane numbers. But you are the moron who originally thought we had over a 100 million crimes each year...
Then your very own sources provide "insane" numbers.

Your numbers are crazy fantasy. Please quote and link anything backing them. I see nothing at your link supporting your insane claim.
I did. You're just in denial.

It shouldn't be.

I have posted the fbi and ncvs numbers. Neither are near your whacked out claims.

Quote it and give the source.

Again...the NCVS is not a gun use study....doesn't even ask about guns...why do you think their gun number is so low.....if you had a soft drink study and you never asked one question about tea...you would get very low numbers for tea as well..

And on top of that...they can't even do the job they are supposed to do.....

And another reason to not use the NCVS...they can't even count those things they are actually studying correctly, let alone something like guns that they aren't actually studying...

How helpful, then, that the Justice Department asked the National Research Council (part of the National Academies, which also includes the National Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Medicine) to study how successfully the federal government measures rape. The answer has just arrived, in a report out Tuesday with the headline from the press release: “The National Crime Victimization Survey Is Likely Undercounting Rape and Sexual Assault.” We’re not talking about small fractions—we’re talking about the kind of potentially massive underestimate that the military and the Justice Department have warned about for years—and that could be throwing a wrench into the effort to do the most effective type of rape prevention.....

But here are the flaws that call the nice-sounding stats into doubt: The NCVS is designed to measure all kinds of crime victimization. The questions it poses about sexual violence are embedded among questions that ask about lots of other types of crime. For example:

So......the NCVS can't get an accurate account of what it is researching....how do we know this...the numbers are off...

There is, in fact, an existing survey that has many of the attributes the NCVS currently lacks. It’s administered by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and it’s called the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey. (NISVS is the acronym. Apologies for the alphabet soup.)

NISVS “represents the public health perspective,” as Tuesday’s report puts it, and it asks questions about specific behavior, including whether the survey-taker was unable to consent to sex because he or she had been drinking or taking drugs. NISVS was first conducted in 2010, so it doesn’t go back in time the way the NCVS numbers do. But here’s the startling direct comparison between the two measures: NISVS counted 1.27 million total sexual acts of forced penetration for women over the past year (including completed, attempted, and alcohol or drug facilitated).

NCVS counted only 188,380 for rape and sexual assault. And the FBI, which collects its data from local law enforcement, and so only counts rapes and attempted rapes that have been reported as crimes, totaled only 85,593 for 2010.

So no....the NCVS is not a tool to understand the use of guns for self defense..........And the most obvious point.......they undercount rape and sexual assault by a vast number compared to an actual study that researches rape and sexual assault....using the same method the anti gunners claim for the number of gun defenses....

But here’s the startling direct comparison between the two measures: NISVS counted 1.27 million total sexual acts of forced penetration for women over the past year (including completed, attempted, and alcohol or drug facilitated).

NCVS counted only 188,380 for rape and sexual assault.

The average is 2 million brain....the L.A. Times...probably not on the internet...it was done in the 90s. Those studies were done by actual researchers, economists and criminologists and even the guys who did the clinton Dept. of Justice study said the number of times guns were used for self defense was 1.5 million a year.......so 2 million is not unreasonable given the number of studies that put the number over 1 million and those that put it over 2 million a year.

You dnt know anything about the times study. Could have been done by anyone.

Link to the DOJ study.

The majority of studies say it is less than 2 million. The ones that say its over are debunked, not national, or don't seem to exist.

It is not mathematically possible based on real crime rates. Your claim is fantasy.

I have the Clinton justice dept. study...why don't you go to the effort and find it.....it says 1.5 million times a year.....and the two guys who did it...are anti gun.......

The average is 2 million brain....the L.A. Times...probably not on the internet...it was done in the 90s. Those studies were done by actual researchers, economists and criminologists and even the guys who did the clinton Dept. of Justice study said the number of times guns were used for self defense was 1.5 million a year.......so 2 million is not unreasonable given the number of studies that put the number over 1 million and those that put it over 2 million a year.

Link to the DOJ study.

The majority of studies say it is less than 2 million. The ones that say its over are debunked, not national, or don't seem to exist.

It is not mathematically possible based on real crime rates. Your claim is fantasy.

I have the Clinton justice dept. study...why don't you go to the effort and find it.....it says 1.5 million times a year.....and the two guys who did it...are anti gun.......

1.5 is less than your 2mil claim....

What are you hiding?

Last edited:

It shouldn't be.

I have posted the fbi and ncvs numbers. Neither are near your whacked out claims.
I used your very own sources. You're just in obtuse denial of reality.

I provided all the sources. You're just in denial.

Last edited:
Again...I average the 17 studies not just the one....and if you want the average of the non military, non poloce self defense, which you can see from the list of studies, you get 2 million......the clinton Dept. of Justice study found through their research that slef defense happens 1.5 million times a year......

Link to the DOJ study.

What are you hiding?
1.5 million DGUs falls within a 95% confidence limit for the 2 million DGU estimate made by the K&G survey.

Link to the DOJ study.

What are you hiding?
1.5 million DGUs falls within a 95% confidence limit for the 2 million DGU estimate made by the K&G survey.

The vast majority of gun studies say it is lower. And millions isn't even mathematically possible.

Link to the DOJ study.

What are you hiding?

The vast majority of gun studies say it is lower. And millions isn't even mathematically possible.

I provided all the sources. You're just in denial.

If that were the case you could quote and link it. Obviously you cannot.

Again...I average the 17 studies not just the one....and if you want the average of the non military, non poloce self defense, which you can see from the list of studies, you get 2 million......the clinton Dept. of Justice study found through their research that slef defense happens 1.5 million times a year......

You can't just average studies, that is moronic. The 3.6 million from the la times is heavily increasing the average. You can't even prove it exits. The next largest study is 3 million and wasn't even national. Your 2 million is pure fantasy that isn't mathematically possible and supported by nothing in reality.

Forum List

Back