Happy 4th of July......Dont forget to thank a Liberal

Things that are best done by the federal government should be under the federal government. If the current constitution does not give them to them, it should be amended...there is a process for that.

Regardless of what you think is best done now, the unchecked assumption by the federal government of juristictions not formally granted is what the framers tried to prevent and specifically warned against.

I, for one, hate the current social security arrangement that we have now. However, I am for some form of federally regulated retirement program since it is apparent that people won't save for themselves. But even within that framework it would be much more flexible than what currently exists. This is not privatization (the very concept that sends libs into orbit).

I would grant the federal government that perview via constitutional amendment. That is the right way to do it.

As to the rest....many conservatives would find the return to the states of many of the things you described as appropriate and such a return would not only be more efficient...but would improve things.

There is simply to much money in Washington D.C. for it not to corrupt the system.
So you're in favor of a federally regulated retirement system, but not a privatized system. As the constitution stands today, such a system would have to be justified with a liberal interpretation of the general welfare clause and the commerce clause which is how social security is justified.

Medicare and Medicaid are justified as with Social Security on the general welfare clause. So if one is constitutions, then they all are.

And then there's welfare and it's back to general welfare cause.

Aside from the constitutionality issue of these programs, would the nation be better off if these were state programs>

No, they would not be better off if they were state programs since people move between states.

And your first statement is incorrect....as I stated I would want to see it done under a constitutional amendment. That removes the need to for libs to mis-apply the General Welfare Clause.
Passing a Social Security Amendment to authorize it via an amendment would be all but impossible. I think most people in the country would consider it a waste of tax payer dollars since it changes nothing. Democrats would of course vote against since it would bring into question all other legislation that used the general welfare clause as justification.

Last edited:
So you're in favor of a federally regulated retirement system, but not a privatized system. As the constitution stands today, such a system would have to be justified with a liberal interpretation of the general welfare clause and the commerce clause which is how social security is justified.

Medicare and Medicaid are justified as with Social Security on the general welfare clause. So if one is constitutions, then they all are.

And then there's welfare and it's back to general welfare cause.

Aside from the constitutionality issue of these programs, would the nation be better off if these were state programs>

No, they would not be better off if they were state programs since people move between states.

And your first statement is incorrect....as I stated I would want to see it done under a constitutional amendment. That removes the need to for libs to mis-apply the General Welfare Clause.
Passing a Social Security Amendment to authorize it via an amendment would be all but impossible. I think most people in the country would consider it a waste of tax payer dollars since it changes nothing. Democrats would of course vote against since it would bring into question all other legislation that used the general welfare clause as justification.

You asked a question and I gave you an answer.

I don't need a lecture on what can and can't be done.

Thanks for admitting that democrats abuse the General Welfare Clause.

Happy 4th of July.....doing forget to thank a veteran! They are who should thank.

Just reminding people that SFB's like RW are only all to willing to take credit for others work (and earnings).

I thanked a liberal recently...for not having kids.

You didn't build that...somebody else did.

But somebody else didn't build that because somebody else is a you and you didn't build that.

Obama has elves that live under his free-money tree...they built it.

Gonna thank liberals for giving us back the senate in 2014.

Republicans have to win it first

They blew it in 2010, blew it in 2012

What makes 2014 different?

The GOP gained SIX senate seats in 2010. That's "blowing it" ? You'd come all over your keyboard if that happend to the dems this years. BTW: They also took a record 650+ seats in house legislatures in 2010 thus securing control of several states and also increased the number of GOP governors.

This in addition to blowing away Nancy Pelosi in the house.

The GOP, which is highly dysfunctional and unorganized kicked your ass two years after the Obamamessiah showed up.

In 2012, they gave some of that up. The net still favors the GOP.....

And right now Polls show things don't look so good for you clowns.

As to individual races (a.k.a. Todd Akins types), the only real screw up has been in Iowa...by a liberal.

The Senate is ours in 2014.

1. Happy 4th of July......Dont forget to thank a Liberal

On the anniversary of our country, it is time to remember the greatest liberals of their day........our founding fathers

All men are created equal.....what a liberal concept

You're welcome, big guy! I appreciate your recognition of what classic liberals did for you even if you use your freedom in search of authoritarian leftism.

Gonna thank liberals for giving us back the senate in 2014.

Republicans have to win it first

They blew it in 2010, blew it in 2012

What makes 2014 different?

The GOP gained SIX senate seats in 2010. That's "blowing it" ? You'd come all over your keyboard if that happend to the dems this years. BTW: They also took a record 650+ seats in house legislatures in 2010 thus securing control of several states and also increased the number of GOP governors.

This in addition to blowing away Nancy Pelosi in the house.

The GOP, which is highly dysfunctional and unorganized kicked your ass two years after the Obamamessiah showed up.

In 2012, they gave some of that up. The net still favors the GOP.....

And right now Polls show things don't look so good for you clowns.

As to individual races (a.k.a. Todd Akins types), the only real screw up has been in Iowa...by a liberal.

The Senate is ours in 2014.

The GOP has gerrymandered itself the house while receiving fewer overall votes than the Dems
They have also blown chances in the last two election cycles to take the Senate

They no longer have a chance to reach 270 EV for the White House

Forum List

Back