Harris to end filibuster to support abortion

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
This right here is why I cannot support Kamala Harris. She wants to end the filibuster so the democrats can pass abortion rights with 51 votes. It's only for abortion she says, but any idiot knows that once you abolish the filibuster for a specific reason it ends up being permanent for everything. And once that happens, there will be no more compromise or cooperation in the Senate and bipartisanship goes right down the drain.

The democrats came close to doing just that back in 2021 when they tried to abolish the filibuster but Manchin and Sinema wouldn't go along. One of these days, they're going to get it done and that's when we start down the road to a one-party rule gov't. If you think gridlock is bad, wait until you get one-party rule.

It's a winning issue. The slippery slope argument alone might not cut it. And as quickly as the Senate can change the rules, it can change them back.

I don't think we have heard the last of this.

Kamala: "My values haven't changed."

Today: Annihilate the filibuster
April 2017: Senate Letter to maintain the filibuster
Right. Her values didn't change. The lay of the land did. Now abortion must be federally protected, since it was deleted as a constitutionally protected right.

How can you not puzzle this out?

For "changing values", see Trump's flip flop on the Florida abortion law. He can do it seamlessly, in mere minutes.

I hope they do filibuster it, and the Republicans take control of the Senate and fuck the Democrats with their decision.
Well that's a difference between you and me.

I want the Senate to protect an important right for half the country.

You want to see someone fucked over, in the pettiest and most venomous way possible.

In fact, I think that about sums up one of the major contrasts in this entire election.

You want to see someone fucked over, in the pettiest and most venomous way possible.

In fact, I think that about sums up one of the major contrasts in this entire election.
It's already protected in many states.

She signed a letter by Senators not that long ago vowing to keep the filibuster to make sure that the Senate would remain the greatest deliberative body in the world. (Their own slightly overblown rhetoric.)

But now, once again, Kamalalala has confirmed her own disdain for consistency of principles.

This right here is why I cannot support Kamala Harris. She wants to end the filibuster so the democrats can pass abortion rights with 51 votes. It's only for abortion she says, but any idiot knows that once you abolish the filibuster for a specific reason it ends up being permanent for everything. And once that happens, there will be no more compromise or cooperation in the Senate and bipartisanship goes right down the drain.

The democrats came close to doing just that back in 2021 when they tried to abolish the filibuster but Manchin and Sinema wouldn't go along. One of these days, they're going to get it done and that's when we start down the road to a one-party rule gov't. If you think gridlock is bad, wait until you get one-party rule.
This is where Trump could have really hammered her had he taken an unabashed pro-life stance. He could have legitimately said "The goal of the Democrats is to make abortion mandatory like they did in China for 70 years." He could have taken the high position and correctly have accused Harris for making killing children the centerpiece of her campaign.

He could have aggressively taken control of the issue AND converted hearts and minds as well.

Right. Her values didn't change. The lay of the land did. Now abortion must be federally protected, since it was deleted as a constitutionally protected right.

How can you not puzzle this out?

For "changing values", see Trump's flip flop on the Florida abortion law. He can do it seamlessly, in mere minutes.
Go right ahead and pass a Constitutional amendment, because anything else will not fly. SCOTUS already ruled and you cannot pass a law that will be declared unconstitutional the second it is tested in court.

This is where Trump could have really hammered her had he taken an unabashed pro-life stance. He could have legitimately said "The goal of the Democrats is to make abortion mandatory like they did in China for 70 years." He could have taken the high position and correctly have accused Harris for making killing children the centerpiece of her campaign.

He could have aggressively taken control of the issue AND converted hearts and minds as well.
Oh boy, I hope he says all of those things.

Where is this right in the Constitution? Roe v. Wade was overturned because it does not exist. Feel free to add it via a new amendment if you can. Until then, the states have the right to restrict it.

Go right ahead and pass a Constitutional amendment, because anything else will not fly. SCOTUS already ruled and you cannot pass a law that will be declared unconstitutional the second it is tested in court.
The SCOTUS did not rule Congress could not take it up. The only standing against would be to argue it violates States' rights.

So it would have to be framed and passed within a construct that falls within federal regulation power, like commerce.

Forum List

Back