Hello folks

Hello, my name is Bernhard, I'm from Berlin, Germany and German is my first language.

I've been on other message boards for 20 years, especially for talking about politics, but in the past years, the toxic atmosphere in many places online and the extreme polarization in politics caused me to go offline for a while (as far as political talk was concerned). But now I feel like giving it a chance again, so here I am. :)

Hope it will be possible to have enlightening exchanges here. What can you tell me about this place?

Looking forward to chatting with you!
Welcome to USMB, Bernhard. My shop sold sewing machines made in Karlsruh and Kaiserslauten for over 20 years, and the Pfaff Company welcomed us to Germany and adjacent countries twice. I love the beauty of your amazing country and the excellence in arts and architecture, some of which are centuries older than when my family moved here from Holland in year 1619 by way of the Mayflower. I'm not sure whether my ancestor caught the ship from Britain or was picked up in Amsterdam. But our hosts in Germany made certain we had a great time visiting Neuschwanstein, cathedrals, shopping malls in historic factories reinvented by unique entrepreneurs in West Germany. The parks and spring flowers in the Alps absolutely took my breath away, and reviewing both the home sewing machine factory and the industrial machine headquarters was totally fun.

Our boards have strong views and soft, drudgery politics and music sharing threads. Hope you find happiness here and all over the boards. Bless you and your beautiful country, rich in traditions, learning, and good food to die for. :thup:

Thank you for your nice welcome!

And I'm glad you had a good time over here. I've only been to the US once, to visit my then girlfriend who studied in Portland, Oregon at that time. Apart from Portland and parts of Oregon and Washington state, I've not seen anything of the US, but it was an amazing impression already ... the country is so much less crowded than over here, there is so much beautiful untouched nature, so many forests ... and I had the best hamburger I ever ate in my life in a diner next to the train line from Oregon to Tricities. I was also amazed to learn that the climate and vegetation, at least on first glance, were rather similar there to what I see here around Berlin. :)

Looking forward to talking to you!
How about that! My family lived in Oregon for 5 years, where i studied at Oregon State University in Corvallis, which is about an hour's drive south of beautiful Portland with its Japanese rose gardens. At the time, Oregon had a state population of 2 million, and it now has 5 million. When we visited Germany, I think someone said its population was 80 million, and it's not clear to me if that was just West Germany or greater Germany, since our first visit was before the Wall fell by one or two years. Anyhow, considering the huge population there, it's no wonder why the Beaver State seemed a natural forest that I remember so well. Too bad we missed Berlin back then, but I recall that even the large city (Frankfort) that hosted an international airport seemed the best of all worlds to me. :woohoo:

When were you last there? It’s the only city in Germany with an American skyline. Has changed enormously.

I’m not too far from there.
Frankfurt? Twice. Early 90s. My memories were from mostly Renaissance structures and at least one Medieval structure that was a church or a very old castle with an unbelievably amazing garden. We went to Neuschwanstein castle both times. That place melts my heart it is so beautiful.

Hello, my name is Bernhard, I'm from Berlin, Germany and German is my first language.

I've been on other message boards for 20 years, especially for talking about politics, but in the past years, the toxic atmosphere in many places online and the extreme polarization in politics caused me to go offline for a while (as far as political talk was concerned). But now I feel like giving it a chance again, so here I am. :)

Hope it will be possible to have enlightening exchanges here. What can you tell me about this place?

Welcome Bernhard however as Harry S. Truman said, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." Hope you stick around though.

Hi, the flame zone is fun, just be careful not to cause a furor down there.

Forum List

Back