Help a Yank understand Canadian government.

Supposn

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2009

Do you have committees that report to their legislative chambers as a whole, or do the non-majority parties each depend only upon their own “shadow” cabinets to inform their individual parties’ members? Help a Yank understand you. Respectfully, Supposn

Do you have committees that report to their legislative chambers as a whole, or do the non-majority parties each depend only upon their own “shadow” cabinets to inform their individual parties’ members? Help a Yank understand you. Respectfully, Supposn
It kinda works the same way as it does in the states.

The liberals run the government and media allowing for a token opposition they can demonize and blame for all of societies ills.

It kinda works the same way as it does in the states.
The liberals run the government and media allowing for a token opposition they can demonize and blame for all of societies ills.
Votto, I’m aware, and admire the system which (I suppose forces) government’s ministers’ answering on the floor of parliament and all its members. But you’re not specially answering my question. Respectfully, Supposn

We have committees.

We have committees.
Votto and AsherN, I’ve been referred to this, UK Parliament link, which further led me to these links: First reading (Commons) - UK Parliament , Second reading (Commons) - UK Parliament , Committee stage (Commons) - UK Parliament , and Report stage (Commons) - UK Parliament .

These are the questions that occurred to me after I was referred to the link, UK Parliaments, UK and its regions. I suppose there are many similarities between United kingdom’s and Canada’s parliaments. Can you or other participants within this forum please help me understand your parliamentary systems.

At the end of the [House of Commons second reading] debate, the Commons decides whether the Bill should be given its second reading by voting, meaning it can proceed to the next stage.
[If the bill passes the house’s 2nd reading, it’s passed on to a committee?

How is the proper committee for each bill chosen? How are memberships of the committees’ chosen?

May the committee “kill” a bill and prevent it to be subject to a 3d reading by the house, or must they return the bill to the house along with the committee’s analysis of the drafted bill which they had received?

Are there separate Houses of Commons for England, Great Britain, Northern Ireland, and the UK, or all MPs may participate in those regions’ entire governments and are there are separate sessions for each of them which occur in the same physical chamber of the same building?
Respectfully, Supposn

Forum List

Back