Hobby Lobby Invested in Abortion and Contraception Products

Why is it a contradiction? The Hobby Lobby like any other business reserves the right to invest in it's employees welfare as it sees fit. The problem of course is when the fascist government violates the 1st Amendment by forcing businesses to furnish contraceptives to employees.

They had no problem proving them before 2012.

Where does the Bible say its OK to provide contraception until 2012?

Where does it say that they cannot change.

Hope and Change: Hobby Lobby's new Motto doesn't have a familiar ring?

Guess you didn't read the article.

That's OK. Most didn't.

It was an opinion piece in Forbes based on a report in Mother Jones.

.... based on public filings by Hobby Lobby ...

Savings Incentive and Profit Sharing Plan for Employees of the Hobby Lobby Group

The statement in the link shows that the net assets for Hobby Lobby employee benefits increased from about $90 million in 2011 to $108 million in 2012.

The increase was primarily due to the increased value of assets at mutual funds; e.g. American Group, Vanguard Funds, etc.

The point of investing in these funds is to allow the fund managers to choose the portfolio of individual stocks. Hobby Lobby doesn't pick these. This reduces the costs of the investments as well as maximizes the ROI.

Expecting Hobby Lobby (or almost every corporation) to weigh each investment themselves is a fantasy fueled by the butt-hurt-free-cheese-eating--nanny-state-whiny whiners that expect to incite Public Outrage among only the least sophisticated of Americans.

BTW, thanks for the link;

Hobby Lobby appears to have matched employee contributions.

As I noted, though you provided facts, thank you. ( I am a 'nanny state whiney winger' one week, and a right wing extremist the next.)

Straight from Mother Jones. I don't think so. Those companies they invested in don't specialize in just making abortifacients. They make a wide array of drugs that the Hobby Lobby plan covers.

Thread fail. Citing Mother Jones and touting an opinion piece was your first mistake.

As soon as I saw the title I could only say "Oh Boy...here we go". :cuckoo:

Next thing you know, these Nazis will be posting that Hobby Lobby has been running "back room" abortion clinics. Talk about your "bad losers".......

The statement in the link shows that the net assets for Hobby Lobby employee benefits increased from about $90 million in 2011 to $108 million in 2012.

The increase was primarily due to the increased value of assets at mutual funds; e.g. American Group, Vanguard Funds, etc.

The point of investing in these funds is to allow the fund managers to choose the portfolio of individual stocks. Hobby Lobby doesn't pick these. This reduces the costs of the investments as well as maximizes the ROI.

Expecting Hobby Lobby (or almost every corporation) to weigh each investment themselves is a fantasy fueled by the butt-hurt-free-cheese-eating--nanny-state-whiny whiners that expect to incite Public Outrage among only the least sophisticated of Americans.

As I noted, though you provided facts, thank you. ( I am a 'nanny state whiney winger' one week, and a right wing extremist the next.)

Based on the statement, Hobby Lobby employees did pretty well between 2011 and 2012.

The ROR is much higher than had the investments been made in government bonds.

Didn't take long to discover this bit of typical rightwing hypocrisy, as reported by Forbes:

Hobby Lobby Invested In Numerous Abortion And Contraception Products While Claiming Religious Objection

Hobby Lobby Invested In Numerous Abortion And Contraception Products While Claiming Religious Objection - Forbes

Savings Incentive and Profit Sharing Plan for Employees of the Hobby Lobby Group

According to the Green family, interfering with an already fertilized egg is tantamount to abortion—an act unacceptable to the family and one they refuse to participate in no matter what the Affordable Care Act may require .

However, it turns out that the owners of Hobby Lobby do not appear to have any problem with profiting from the companies that manufacture the very products that so grievously offend their religious principles.

The following is a summation of the companies manufacturing these products that are held by the Hobby Lobby employee retirement plan, as set forth by Ms. Redden’s remarkable reporting:

These companies include Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, which makes Plan B and ParaGard, a copper IUD, and Actavis ACT +0.26%, which makes a generic version of Plan B and distributes Ella. Other holdings in the mutual funds selected by Hobby Lobby include Pfizer PFE +0.25%, the maker of Cytotec and Prostin E2, which are used to induce abortions; Bayer , which manufactures the hormonal IUDs Skyla and Mirena; AstraZeneca AZN +0.54%, which has an Indian subsidiary that manufactures Prostodin, Cerviprime, and Partocin, three drugs commonly used in abortions; and Forest Laboratories, which makes Cervidil, a drug used to induce abortions. Several funds in the Hobby Lobby retirement plan also invested in Aetna AET -0.49% and Humana, two health insurance companies that cover surgical abortions, abortion drugs, and emergency contraception in many of the health care policies they sell.

Those companies are in the Savings Incentive and Profit Sharing Plan for Employees of the Hobby Lobby Group.

However, it turns out that the owners of Hobby Lobby do not appear to have any problem with profiting from the companies that manufacture the very products that so grievously offend their religious principles.

That tells me that the employees retirement plans are invested in a number of pharmas that make thousands of prescription and non-prescription drugs, many of which save thousands of lives.

It is a stretch to say that only the owners profit, and the owners don’t pick and choose the companies in a retirement plan. The investment firm that manages the fund does.

I call this BS.

Yes they do as a Corporation.
That is exactly what I am saying.
It's a Corp. decision not the individual owner.
The owner has a problem with paying for it.
He does not have a problem with the drug's existence.

The Hobby Lobby owner feels abortifacients are morally wrong, and therefore he should not be forced to buy insurance coverage for it.

But if he willingly profits off abortifacients, then he is clearly a hypocrite.

It would be like someone who wants to ban all guns investing in Colt.

We have evidence Hobby Lobby's 401k plan invests in companies which make abortifacients. What we do not know is if the Hobby Lobby owner knows this.

No
He thinks that it is ok for the drugs to exist. The 401 K's for all Hobby Lobby employees is the Corp. decisions not his.

He does not want to pay for them. He has no problem with employees paying for them.
Big difference between Group Corporation decisions and his decisions as an individual owner.
The Supreme Court agreed.

I am sure that many on the left who have 401k plans who are against guns do have stock in gun companies like Colt. Or many other things that they are against also.

The big difference is, he does not want to ban theses drugs. He is not against them for individuals. He just does not want to have to pay for them.
That is not hypocrisy.
Hypocrisy would be if he wanted them banned just like you said about someone who wanted to ban guns.

Didn't take long to discover this bit of typical rightwing hypocrisy, as reported by Forbes:

Hobby Lobby Invested In Numerous Abortion And Contraception Products While Claiming Religious Objection

Hobby Lobby Invested In Numerous Abortion And Contraception Products While Claiming Religious Objection - Forbes

According to the Green family, interfering with an already fertilized egg is tantamount to abortion—an act unacceptable to the family and one they refuse to participate in no matter what the Affordable Care Act may require .

The following is a summation of the companies manufacturing these products that are held by the Hobby Lobby employee retirement plan, as set forth by Ms. Redden’s remarkable reporting:

These companies include Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, which makes Plan B and ParaGard, a copper IUD, and Actavis ACT +0.26%, which makes a generic version of Plan B and distributes Ella. Other holdings in the mutual funds selected by Hobby Lobby include Pfizer PFE +0.25%, the maker of Cytotec and Prostin E2, which are used to induce abortions; Bayer , which manufactures the hormonal IUDs Skyla and Mirena; AstraZeneca AZN +0.54%, which has an Indian subsidiary that manufactures Prostodin, Cerviprime, and Partocin, three drugs commonly used in abortions; and Forest Laboratories, which makes Cervidil, a drug used to induce abortions. Several funds in the Hobby Lobby retirement plan also invested in Aetna AET -0.49% and Humana, two health insurance companies that cover surgical abortions, abortion drugs, and emergency contraception in many of the health care policies they sell.

Those companies are in the Savings Incentive and Profit Sharing Plan for Employees of the Hobby Lobby Group.

That tells me that the employees retirement plans are invested in a number of pharmas that make thousands of prescription and non-prescription drugs, many of which save thousands of lives.

It is a stretch to say that only the owners profit, and the owners don’t pick and choose the companies in a retirement plan. The investment firm that manages the fund does.

I call this BS.

And how is that different from how health insurance benefits are decided? It is between the employee and the insurer. If the employee wants contraceptives...he or she should be able to get them. The contract is between the employee and the insurance company.....just like the 401k contract is between the fund and the employee. Employer contributions are compensation in lieu of salary.

The idea that the employer is "providing" anything beyond a pool of customers for the insurance company is a joke.

Straight from Mother Jones. I don't think so. Those companies they invested in don't specialize in just making abortifacients. They make a wide array of drugs that the Hobby Lobby plan covers.

Thread fail. Citing Mother Jones and touting an opinion piece was your first mistake.

Next thing you know, these Nazis will be posting that Hobby Lobby has been running "back room" abortion clinics. Talk about your "bad losers".......

Again, another winger who won't scratch beneath the headlines. No wonder Fox Noise is so popular, they do your thinking for you?

Why is it a contradiction? The Hobby Lobby like any other business reserves the right to invest in it's employees welfare as it sees fit. The problem of course is when the fascist government violates the 1st Amendment by forcing businesses to furnish contraceptives to employees.

They had no problem proving them before 2012.

Where does the Bible say its OK to provide contraception until 2012?

Where does it say that they cannot change.

Hope and Change: Hobby Lobby's new Motto doesn't have a familiar ring?

Was the Bible revised in 2012 or something? They clearly aren't doing it for religious purposes if they were doing it before 2012 and were Christians then.

Especially considering they invest in abortion.

Way to keep an open mind there sparky

I call this BS.

And how is that different from how health insurance benefits are decided? It is between the employee and the insurer. If the employee wants contraceptives...he or she should be able to get them. The contract is between the employee and the insurance company.....just like the 401k contract is between the fund and the employee. Employer contributions are compensation in lieu of salary.

The idea that the employer is "providing" anything beyond a pool of customers for the insurance company is a joke.

Profit, losses, 401(k)s, that's not the topic. These Hobby Lobotomists were outed for their hypocrisy in April of this year and no one was paying attention until now.

But it does come down to money, and the Greens must be saving a ton on insurance plans when they cut out birth control. That's the BOTTOM LINE.

Next thing these assholes will say is getting cancer is against their religion.

democrat-crying-babies.jpg

Wait till November, it gonna be freaking awesome to watch them melt.

I call this BS.

Profit, losses, 401(k)s, that's not the topic. These Hobby Lobotomists were outed for their hypocrisy in April of this year and no one was paying attention until now.

But it does come down to money, and the Greens must be saving a ton on insurance plans when they cut out birth control. That's the BOTTOM LINE.

Next thing these assholes will say is getting cancer is against their religion.

Not birth control.
They have always paid for birth control.
4 infanticide drugs is not about money.
It is about killing life at conception.

Way to keep an open mind there sparky

More ironic comments from the racist far left Obama drone.

And more proof that the far left is not open minded.

Wait till November, it gonna be freaking awesome to watch them melt.

I have stated this several times, but I will state it again (after all it IS a safety concern).

On election night DO NOT go to ANY DOWNTOWN in ANY City in America. If you must, keep your eyes to the sky - liberals will be falling from buildings like rain.

Wouldn't want anyone to get hurt..... :D :dance: :D

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT
Guess you didn't read the article.

That's OK. Most didn't.

It was an opinion piece in Forbes based on a report in Mother Jones.

.... based on public filings by Hobby Lobby ...

The Form 5500 statement in the link shows that the net assets for Hobby Lobby employee benefits increased from about $90 million in 2011 to $108 million in 2012.

You can make up all the excuses you want, but I would expect that the people who battle a provision in ObamaCare all the way to the US Supreme Court over their religious beliefs would be sincere enough in their religious beliefs to not profit off of the very product they fought so hard to reject. I agree with the court's decision but I'm disappointed to learn that Green's are not as concerned about birth control products as they led everyone to believe.

Based on the statement, Hobby Lobby employees did pretty well between 2011 and 2012.

The ROR is much higher than had the investments been made in government bonds.
It's hard not to do well these days in the market. Is your point that it's ok to ignore your religious beliefs as long as it's profitable?

The Form 5500 statement in the link shows that the net assets for Hobby Lobby employee benefits increased from about $90 million in 2011 to $108 million in 2012.

You can make up all the excuses you want, but I would expect that the people who battle a provision in ObamaCare all the way to the US Supreme Court over their religious beliefs would be sincere enough in their religious beliefs to not profit off of the very product they fought so hard to reject. I agree with the court's decision but I'm disappointed to learn that Green's are not as concerned about birth control products as they led everyone to believe.

What do you want?
They are paying for 16 of the 20 required by the new Health Care Law.

Forum List

Back