Honest hot take: Ohtani’s 50/50 is being overrated because he could easily do something more impressive

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
First, let me say that Ohtani’s season is incredible.

However, we’ve seen 40-40 players before. While this is the best showing in these 2 specific categories, it’s not other-world.

What would be other world?

50 HR’s and 15-20 pitching wins.

He would be the first player to even approach being an elite HR hitter and pitcher since Babe Ruth over 100 years ago.

THAT… would be worth the hype

Ohtani beats Ruth's records while rehabbing.
He's 14 for 20 in his last 5 games.

:auiqs.jpg:

1727130252169.png

However, we’ve seen 40-40 players before. While this is the best showing in these 2 specific categories, it’s not other-world.

He would be the first player to even approach being an elite HR hitter and pitcher since Babe Ruth over 100 years ago.

OK, that sounds better. I agree: 50 hrs, 50 SBs, .300, 15 wins, 100 games in the field. Wow!

OK, that sounds better. I agree: 50 hrs, 50 SBs, .300, 15 wins, 100 games in the field. Wow!

Has it brought fans back into the game outside of jersey sales? I can't remember the last time I watched a game from beginning to end! Others feel the same w/ the "so called" crowds immitating "empty seats" when I surf by! If I didn't know better, I think the WNBA has picked up more fans in the last few months! :dunno: :stir: :oops::meow::(

If you knew baseball you would know that there is a WORLD of difference between 40-40 and 53-54 which is where Ohtani is now. Wherever that mark finishes it will NEVER be broken unless by Ohtani.

If you knew baseball you would know that there is a WORLD of difference between 40-40 and 53-54 which is where Ohtani is now. Wherever that mark finishes it will NEVER be broken unless by Ohtani.
"If I knew baseball"... spoken like a true douche bag.

There's not a WORLD of difference, there's an advancement.

a WORLD of difference would be what I said... a player who hits 50... 40.. 30... hell, even 20 HR's along with pitching for 15.. 12... 10... hell, even 5 wins. That's unheard of in baseball for 100 years.

The only player that could imitate Ruth in hitting and pitching was Ruth's teammate at Boston, Joe Wood. He was a better pitcher (wow, because Ruth was great), a good hitter with little power, but could not do both at the same time.

"If I knew baseball"... spoken like a true douche bag.

There's not a WORLD of difference, there's an advancement.

a WORLD of difference would be what I said... a player who hits 50... 40.. 30... hell, even 20 HR's along with pitching for 15.. 12... 10... hell, even 5 wins. That's unheard of in baseball for 100 years.
Ohtani's record will stand like Joe Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak. No one will ever come close to 53-54 unless he himself breaks his own record. I truly hope the Dodgers don't pitch him but they probably will given their huge injury problems.

Ohtani will not pitch this season.

Maybe second half of next if it looks viable.
The Dodgers have the greatest offensive player of all time. They owe it to baseball to keep him healthy for a few more years. He's already had two major arm surgeries, a third will likely be career ending. He is not Superman.

You are correct, he hasn't played long enough for that title.....yet. At this stage of his career he can safely be called the most talented offensive player of all time.

I'm not even a fan of Barry Bonds, but he was "must see" TV for years as ESPN might brk. into other telecasts to show his "At Bats!" He had to be the most feared hitter in history w/ Clemons the only pitcher I can recall besting him as the Umps. were sympathetic to both old men! Bonds got the benefit of the doubt w/ all other pitchers as the strike zone was "squeezed" on them! To get a strike, it literally had to be right over the plate as Bonds stood on top of HOME Plate! It was a crazy period for baseball w/ Barry, Sosa, & McQuire! I still don't pay ANY attn. to baseball reacting to this b/c Ohtani goes Viral w/ every achievement! I couldn't tell anything else concerning baseball! I can only imagine salaries getting out of control as fewer people actually watch it! It's one insane sport! The others deliver! I'll watch an NFL scab game from '82 or '87 over a playoff game in baseball today! :stir:

Forum List

Back