How About a Federal Law Banning Third Trimester Abortions (with limited exceptions)?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
While I agree that abortion is a medical issue that should be governed by State Medical Boards, I wonder if a federal law might become necessary to at least narrow the scope of this ongoing debate. It seems to me that the vast majority of Americans are opposed to late term abortions unless very special circumstances are involved, such as gross fetal abnormality or the life of the mother.

Perhaps a federal law banning this procedure (with these exceptions) would be acceptable to both sides?

While I agree that abortion is a medical issue that should be governed by State Medical Boards, I wonder if a federal law might become necessary to at least narrow the scope of this ongoing debate. It seems to me that the vast majority of Americans are opposed to late term abortions unless very special circumstances are involved, such as gross fetal abnormality or the life of the mother.

Perhaps a federal law banning this procedure (with these exceptions) would be acceptable to both sides?

Nope, leave it to the States.

How about all dimocrap scum 'females' be given an abortion on demand, free of charge.

And $5 from Crime Stop.

And another $10 from the 'Keep America Beautiful Foundation'.

And $20 from the Darwin Society.

I'll personally kick in fitty-cent. Maybe a dollar on pay-day

Roe allowed the states to regulate abortions after viability.

It will not work. Nobody is trusting of giving the government the right to choose, when the people that elect government are considered unworthy to choose. This is why, constitutional amendments (when the state could not prevent the measure, getting before the people [though they tried] have uniformly passed, protecting the rights of women to make their own healthcare and pregnancy decisions without government control or penalty of lawfare to deny their rights.

Abortions occurring at or after 21 weeks gestational age are rare. They are often difficult to obtain, as they are only available in a handful of states, performed by a small subset of abortion providers and are typically costly and time-intensive. Yet, these abortions receive a disproportionate share of attention in the news, policy and the law. Discussions on this topic are often fraught with misinformation; for example, intense public discussions have been sparked after several presidential candidates claimed there were abortions occurring “moments before birth” or even “after birth.” In reality, these scenarios do not occur, nor are they legal, in the United States. Discussion of this topic is distorted and inflamed by the terminology that is sometimes used to describe abortions later in pregnancy— including “late-term,” “post-viability,” “partial birth,” “dismemberment” and “born-alive” abortions.
Abortions Later in Pregnancy in a Post-Dobbs Era | KFF

I thought abortion was supposed to be a state by state thing with no federal law at all.

WW
I agree with that as a purist, but I am anticipating future SCOTUS rulings about the civil rights of fully viable children who haven't been born.* It seems to me that such momentous decisions should not be completely dependent on the political composition of the Court.

*For example, future "test tube" fetuses may not require implantation in the womb. What will be their status once they are fully formed? May they be terminated at will?

Roe allowed the states to regulate abortions after viability.
Correct, but this was effectively eliminated by subsequent decisions. The biggest problem with Roe is that it was a political decision without legislative input or oversight.

I think it strictly limiter third trimester abortions.

Now, Democrats are all in fort those, and partial birth abortion, and allowing a failed abortion and have the baby die outside the womb.
Contrary to known reality.

H.R.2175 - Born-Alive Infants Protection Act of 2002​

If you think Democrats will give up the abortion issue you are WRONG! We could give them unfettered post birth abortions and Dems would go right on fear mongering this issue to get votes.

It's No Longer Under Federal Jurisdiction at All

Exceptions for life of the Mother and if the fetus is NOT viable outside of the womb.

So abortion law is up to the state.

Now how about a twist...

Can the Federal government tie eligibility to certain Federal dollars (say MediCare/MediAid)?

Similar to what happened with the drinking age of 21, the Federal government couldn't raise the drinking age directly, so what they did was tie it to Federal highway funds.

WW

I want the federal government reined in and kept out of issues that it has no constitutional authority to meddle in. There is nothing anywhere in the Constitution giving the federal government authority to dictate any form of abortion law.

Forum List

Back