How much L1?

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
When and how much to use students’ first language in order to facilitate their acquisition of an L2 (in this case English) is always a tricky thing, but with remote learning it has taken on an added dimension.

Thinking about all this involves questions about bilingualism and immersion and adapting practices in the face of changing conditions for students and teachers alike.

Bilingualism was en vogue about 15 years ago, then it fell out of favor (for many reasons), and now it's gradually coming back into favor (in certain forms/applications).

It's an interesting question linguistically/pedagogically.

A lot of people like to emote about how “things are different today!” But what they may not realize is that all the way back in 1839 the state of Ohio adopted a bilingual education law making German English instruction available for families that requested it. Louisiana did the same for French and English in 1847 New Mexico did the same for Spanish and English in 1850. In the 1920s, the Supreme Court overturned the Texas law mandating English only instruction in public schools.

A few thoughts:

Based on what I was told a long time ago, army language schools, which are both hated by students and revered for their success, employ no English after the first day. Only the language you are studying.

My son was "raised" by his Italian grandparents (my in-laws) who were inclined to speak Italian at all times. This started at 9 months or so and lasted until he was around 13. They watched him from 6am until we picked him up after work, and after school.

He learned NO Italian. Not even recognition. It seems that they tried to stick with Italian, but any time the kids seemed not to understand they would switch to [broken] English. The hearing of Italian all day long (as they spoke to each other and to friends who would call) accomplished nothing.

I wonder what they do in Europe, where school kids are universally taught foreign languages, mainly English.

With remote learning, some students seem to need and or are becoming more dependent on use of their L1 in an academic setting partly because online instruction doesn’t come with the same opportunities for nonverbal communication cues that are a natural part of face-to-face interaction regardless of language skills. yes, you can see people in a zoom meeting, but it’s really not the same. This is yet another aspect of the forced change of circumstances that we are learning about as we go.

A few thoughts:

Based on what I was told a long time ago, army language schools, which are both hated by students and revered for their success, employ no English after the first day. Only the language you are studying.

My son was "raised" by his Italian grandparents (my in-laws) who were inclined to speak Italian at all times. This started at 9 months or so and lasted until he was around 13. They watched him from 6am until we picked him up after work, and after school.

He learned NO Italian. Not even recognition. It seems that they tried to stick with Italian, but any time the kids seemed not to understand they would switch to [broken] English. The hearing of Italian all day long (as they spoke to each other and to friends who would call) accomplished nothing.

I wonder what they do in Europe, where school kids are universally taught foreign languages, mainly English.
My condolences on your offspring

As this remote learning model goes on, some students seem to want to rely on their L1 more than they did in person, but other students seem more willing to take chances in communicating in their second (or third) language.

Often students will try their best to work in the L2 when that is the identified goal of a class or activity, but will rely more on the L1 if they have clarifying questions and/or technical issues with their computers or access. In such instances, it is practical to be able to engage students in their L1 as needed.

It is gratifying to see many students rely less and less on their L1 over time as they become more confident in using the L2 for communication and academic work.

It is also interesting to observe that when the students are having trouble with their computers, or do not completely understand an assignment that they switch back to L1, even if only for a sentence or two in order to clarify what they are working on or how to proceed. A natural coping mechanism.

In a number of districts now students can earn an additional certification on their HS diploma if they qualify as academically bilingual. The value of bilingualism is more widely recognized all the time. It is hoped that this certification will give the graduates a leg up in the job market or on college applications.

A lot of people like to emote about how “things are different today!” But what they may not realize is that all the way back in 1839 the state of Ohio adopted a bilingual education law making German English instruction available for families that requested it. Louisiana did the same for French and English in 1847 New Mexico did the same for Spanish and English in 1850. In the 1920s, the Supreme Court overturned the Texas law mandating English only instruction in public schools.

When I enrolled at Pitt in 1967 (college of arts and sciences) there was a language requirement for graduation - I believe it was four semesters. Greek and Latin, of course, were acceptable. I had four years of Spanish in HS, but in the placement exam I scored only a little over the guess ratio, so opted for German. That didn't work out well either.

I scored very high on the Army Language Aptitude Test, qualifying for any language school I might have chosen, but there was an unfortunate requirement in pursuing that path...you actually had to do some work. That left me out.

When I enrolled at Pitt in 1967 (college of arts and sciences) there was a language requirement for graduation - I believe it was four semesters. Greek and Latin, of course, were acceptable. I had four years of Spanish in HS, but in the placement exam I scored only a little over the guess ratio, so opted for German. That didn't work out well either.

I scored very high on the Army Language Aptitude Test, qualifying for any language school I might have chosen, but there was an unfortunate requirement in pursuing that path...you actually had to do some work. That left me out.
Most things worth doing require hard work over a long time.

I've always wondered about that with respect to language and music. You wander around Europe, and you see kids who are conversant in several languages. No hard work there. You see people who can play the piano or guitar by ear after a few sittings. No hard work there. There must a talent at work somewhere.

I've always wondered about that with respect to language and music. You wander around Europe, and you see kids who are conversant in several languages. No hard work there. You see people who can play the piano or guitar by ear after a few sittings. No hard work there. There must a talent at work somewhere.
Those kids you saw were born into multilingual environments. For them, acquiring those several languages is essentially the same as you learning your first language as a small child. Acquiring a second language after the Critical Period is a whole different ball game. There are several different forms of bilingualism.

In a number of districts now students can earn an additional certification on their HS diploma if they qualify as academically bilingual. The value of bilingualism is more widely recognized all the time. It is hoped that this certification will give the graduates a leg up in the job market or on college applications.

When and how much to use students’ first language in order to facilitate their acquisition of an L2 (in this case English) is always a tricky thing, but with remote learning it has taken on an added dimension.

Thinking about all this involves questions about bilingualism and immersion and adapting practices in the face of changing conditions for students and teachers alike.

Forum List

Back