How the electoral college ruins everything

In the vast majority of cases the EC vote has always fallen with the same outcome as the majority/plurality vote. Your objection is dismissed.
That is SO wrong.....In states with vast rural areas with just one or two high density urban areas. democrats LOSE the majority of voting disctricts, yet by virtue of the winner take all system, are at a distinct advantage.
Two states...New York and Pennsylvania come to mind...
In the 2012 election, Romney took every district in PA except the Philadelphia area. By virtue of a near 100% vote for Obama in the urban precincts, the EC Votes went to Obama...
IN New York, Obama had 80% support in NYC's 5 boroughs, Albany and Buffalo. The rest of the districts went to Romney. Yet The EC votes went to Obama....
These are two classic cases of voters being disenfranchised.
Nebraska has it right. The EC votes are cast proportionately per the popular vote. Not winner take all...
Because of the other 49 states going by the EC winner take all system, most votes do not count.

:lol:

The "majority" of voting districts doesn't mean anything when we're discussing the popular vote.

332-206

Saved the nation
Ruined the nation.....If the shoe were on the other foot, you'd be screaming bloody murder.
The system disenfranchises and dilutes the non urban vote and you know it!
You libs time is about over. Enjoy it while it lasts. Because it never does.

The system doesn't "disenfranchise" non-urban voters. Their votes count exactly the same as every voter in the cities.

More people live in cities.

Wow...I wonder what the outcome of every election WOULD have been if the EC wasn't a factor.

The guy is an idiot. He says small states have more voting power, and then uses Wyoming vs. California as an example.

When's the last time you heard of an election being decided by Wyoming? When's the last time you heard of anyone giving a flying fuck how Wyoming voted?

As for what the outcome of every election would have been:

1. Grover Cleveland would have served two consecutive terms instead of his two terms being separated by Benjamin Harrison's one term.

2. Andrew Jackson would have become President in 1824 instead of 1832.

3. Samuel Tilden would have been our 19th President.

4. Al Gore would have been our 43 President.

5. Adolf Hitler would have died in a nasty paper factory accident.

6. Kim Basinger would have been my second wife.

If we switched to the popular vote, all of our politicians would campaign solely in cities. They would tell Iowa and New Hampshire (and Wyoming) to fuck off and die.

Gore would have been potus instead of W. Whether that would have been better, I don't know. If not for 9-11, W would have been a one termer. I wouldn't even dare to guess what Gore would have done with 9-11. Hell, he might even have been impeached.

We would have more Americans alive today than grieving fathers and mothers. I'm guessing we'd have been better off if GWB had stuck to ruining a baseball team than the nation.
You are an emoting hysterical individual who knows nothing. You follow your left wing moon bat marching orders.

The electoral system is like baseball's World Series. Best 4 out of 7 games. Every once in a great while, the team that scored the most runs will still lose the series.

Like the New York Yankees vs. the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 1960 series. The Yanks obliterated the Pirates in runs scored, but still lost the series.

Wow...I wonder what the outcome of every election WOULD have been if the EC wasn't a factor.

The guy is an idiot. He says small states have more voting power, and then uses Wyoming vs. California as an example.

When's the last time you heard of an election being decided by Wyoming? When's the last time you heard of anyone giving a flying fuck how Wyoming voted?

1. Grover Cleveland would have served two consecutive terms instead of his two terms being separated by Benjamin Harrison's one term.

Al Gore would NOT have won.....If the EC votes were apportioned by the number of precincts for each candidate, Bush would have won by a fairly sizable margin.

Al Gore would NOT have won.....If the EC votes were apportioned by the number of precincts for each candidate, Bush would have won by a fairly sizable margin.

Gore had more popular votes than Dubya. Simple fact.

If we didn't have the EC system, Gore would have been number 43.

The Electoral College is why we have a Constitutional Republic and not a Democracy.
The left has never liked that the less inhabited States have a voice as well as the majority.
I am not the left but I also don't see how not having every vote actually count is even close to being legit
The Electoral College is why we have a Constitutional Republic and not a Democracy.
The left has never liked that the less inhabited States have a voice as well as the majority.
The EC has nothing to do with being a const republic. I was a tool put in place by the founding elite to keep us from electing a King or Tyrant. The SENATE is what protects the smaller states.
How does it do that? The EC I mean.

By giving the smaller states the same number of reps as large states.
No....Another hysterical reaction.
The EC votes should be apportioned by the number of precincts going to each candidate. Not winner take all.
I distinctly remember the left wing screeching about the EC after the 2000 election.

No one is claiming the EC system should be tossed out. The EC voting system of winner take all is the issue.

No one is claiming the EC system should be tossed out. The EC voting system of winner take all is the issue.

I guess you didn't read the OP:

"I wonder what the outcome of every election WOULD have been if the EC wasn't a factor."

The answer to that pondering is that Gore would have been number 43.

Are we all caught up now?

I am not the left but I also don't see how not having every vote actually count is even close to being legit
The EC has nothing to do with being a const republic. I was a tool put in place by the founding elite to keep us from electing a King or Tyrant. The SENATE is what protects the smaller states.

The smaller states do not have the same number of electors as large states. California has 55. Wyoming 3.

California has a population of 39 million, and 55 electoral votes. In other words, each electoral vote represents about 700,000 people.

Wyoming has a population of just under 600,000 people, and 3 electoral votes. In other words, each electoral vote represents 200,000 people.

In that sense, one vote in Wyoming is the same as 3.5 votes in California.
Nice try....Doesn't wash....The electoral college protects heavily urbanized districts and in turn disenfranchises roughly 75% of the voters across the country.
Hence the concept of "swing states"..That should not exist. It deligitimizes the electoral process.

I guess you didn't read the OP:

"I wonder what the outcome of every election WOULD have been if the EC wasn't a factor."

The answer to that pondering is that Gore would have been number 43.

Are we all caught up now?

I am not concerned with the opinion of one person.
I am looking at this from a common sense point of view. Winner take all is no more democratic ( under the design of our government) than an absolute democracy.

The smaller states do not have the same number of electors as large states. California has 55. Wyoming 3.

California has a population of 39 million, and 55 electoral votes. In other words, each electoral vote represents about 700,000 people.

Wyoming has a population of just under 600,000 people, and 3 electoral votes. In other words, each electoral vote represents 200,000 people.

In that sense, one vote in Wyoming is the same as 3.5 votes in California.
Nice try....Doesn't wash....The electoral college protects heavily urbanized districts and in turn disenfranchises roughly 75% of the voters across the country.
Hence the concept of "swing states"..That should not exist. It deligitimizes the electoral process.

:lol:

80% of Americans live in urban areas. Who are these "75%" that you're referring to?

Yes sir, the question was about the Senate protecting smaller states(I thought).

The National Popular Vote bill would guarantee the presidency to the candidate who receives the most popular votes in the country.

Every vote, everywhere, would be politically relevant and equal in every presidential election. No more distorting and divisive red and blue state maps of pre-determined outcomes. There would no longer be a handful of 'battleground' states where voters and policies are more important than those of the voters in 80%+ of the states that have just been 'spectators' and ignored after the conventions.

In 2012, 24 of the nation's 27 smallest states received no attention at all from presidential campaigns after the conventions after Mitt Romney became the presumptive Republican nominee on April 11. They were ignored despite their supposed numerical advantage in the Electoral College. In fact, the 8.6 million eligible voters in Ohio received more campaign ads and campaign visits from the major party campaigns than the 42 million eligible voters in those 27 smallest states combined.

The National Popular Vote bill would take effect when enacted by states with a majority of the electoral votes—270 of 538.
All of the presidential electors from the enacting states will be supporters of the presidential candidate receiving the most popular votes in all 50 states (and DC)—thereby guaranteeing that candidate with an Electoral College majority.

The bill has passed 33 state legislative chambers in 22 rural, small, medium, large, red, blue, and purple states with 250 electoral votes. The bill has been enacted by 11 jurisdictions with 165 electoral votes – 61% of the 270 necessary to go into effect.

National Popular Vote -- Electoral college reform by direct election of the President
us-presidential-election-campaign-visit-map.jpg

Texas and California received little to no attention at all.

Gore would have been potus instead of W. Whether that would have been better, I don't know. If not for 9-11, W would have been a one termer. I wouldn't even dare to guess what Gore would have done with 9-11. Hell, he might even have been impeached.

We would have more Americans alive today than grieving fathers and mothers. I'm guessing we'd have been better off if GWB had stuck to ruining a baseball team than the nation.

How can you be sure? One scenario would have been Gore pussyfooting after the attack, inviting MORE attacks just like it.

See? I can make wild statements the same as you can.

All we know is what happened and it was a disaster. Any other path appears to be preferable.

PS: The month after 9/11 the hijackers had their visas renewed by Bush's state department. True story bro. The flight schools received letters stating that they were good to go:

CNN.com - Six months after Sept. 11, hijackers' visa approval letters received - March 13, 2002

The mythology that Bush was some sort of terrorist hunter is a cartoon that only fools believe.

Forum List

Back