Hurricane Tracker: Helene Expected To Form, Rapidly Intensify And Make Landfall In Florida As A Major Storm

Here in Tampa, it's raining and winds are picking up quickly. The eye will be passing us 2 hours from now,

For anyone living anywhere near the water, in the Tampa Bay area EVACUATE, if you can. If you absolutely cannot do that, be aware that the storm surge is expected to be 5-8 feet high.
Before the surge hits, TURN OFF ALL YOUR ELECTRICAL POWER AT YOUR CENTRAL POWER BOX. Flip all the switches off.

The #1 killer of people in hurricanes is people getting electrocuted in their own home, by water gushing into the house and flooding the wall outlets (which are usually less than 2 feet from the floor).

If that happens in your house, and you're there, with the power still on, you will likely be dead.

Better to swelter for a few hours with no AC and TV, than get killed.

Major at 120
Very unusual will be that around Tallahassee the surge will push much further inland with 5-10’ traveling inland 5 miles and 4-5’ inland up to 10 miles and 1’ possibly up to 15 miles inland

I am hoping they are over-estimating the impacts of this storm. They often do that to get people to pay attention. I guess we will see.

I don't think current forecasts are for Cat 4 though, but I could be wrong. Current max sustained 125 but its moving at 23 mph which is good. Won't have a lot of time to train rain over the same locations.
May stay strong a little longer as it moves inland though at that speed.

Forum List

Back