‘I am seeking justice’: Tulsa massacre survivor, 107, testifies to US Congress

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
For nearly a century she was denied a voice by a culture of silence. Finally, at the age of 107, Viola Fletcher got a national stage on Wednesday to bear witness to America’s deep history of racial violence.

Fletcher is the oldest living survivor of a massacre that took place in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on 31 May and 1 June 1921 when a white mob attacked the city’s “Black Wall Street”, killing an estimated 300 African Americans while robbing and burning more than 1,200 businesses, homes and churches
She was just seven years old at the time.

For decades the atrocity was actively covered up and wished away. But Fletcher and her 100-year-old brother are seeking reparations and, ahead of the massacre’s centenary, appeared before a House of Representatives judiciary subcommittee considering legal remedies.

....A third survivor, Lessie Evelyn Benningfield Randle, 106, also testified virtually. She said: “It means a lot to me to finally be able to look at you all in the eye and ask you to do the right thing. I have waited so long for justice.”

Just the fact that there are three survivors still living is mind blowing.

Hard to imagine it was covered up with nobody held accountable

For nearly a century she was denied a voice by a culture of silence. Finally, at the age of 107, Viola Fletcher got a national stage on Wednesday to bear witness to America’s deep history of racial violence.

Fletcher is the oldest living survivor of a massacre that took place in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on 31 May and 1 June 1921 when a white mob attacked the city’s “Black Wall Street”, killing an estimated 300 African Americans while robbing and burning more than 1,200 businesses, homes and churches

For decades the atrocity was actively covered up and wished away. But Fletcher and her 100-year-old brother are seeking reparations and, ahead of the massacre’s centenary, appeared before a House of Representatives judiciary subcommittee considering legal remedies.

....A third survivor, Lessie Evelyn Benningfield Randle, 106, also testified virtually. She said: “It means a lot to me to finally be able to look at you all in the eye and ask you to do the right thing. I have waited so long for justice.”

I think they should receive compensation of some kind, but being old they are not going to have much time to reap much of the benefit. If there are reparations I believe they should come from the state of Oklahoma as well as the fed.
I think if a survivor of something like this is able to step forward, it should count for something. They should be given enough to pass on to their kids and grandkids. Im sort of scratching my head wondering why they didnt come forward earlier though, even when Obama was president for 8 years. I cant imagine his administration not giving these people a chance to talk.

The same thing is happening today with the violence and mayhem being committed by young black males who committ over half of all violent crime in America and the msm has even admitted to it saying they do not want to make blacks look bad.

Black thugs in Chicago alone kill more blacks in 6 months than the kkk did in its entire history of violence.

And when you look at the numbers of white folks killed by blacks the race riots are small in comparision to numbers killed by blacks.

And yet the liberal narrative remains......blacks are the victims aka the politics of black victimhood--- oh the hypocrisy of it all....stinks to high heaven.
https://www.amren.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/2005-Color-of-Crime-Report.pdf

Last edited:
The same thing is happening today with the violence and mayhem being committed by young black males who committ over half of all violent crime in America and the msm has even admitted to it saying they do not want to make blacks look bad.

Black thugs in Chicago alone kill more blacks in 6 months than the kkk did in its entire history of violence.

And when you look at the numbers of white folks killed by blacks the race riots are small in comparision to numbers killed by blacks.

And yet the liberal narrative remains......blacks are the victims aka the politics of black victimhood--- oh the hypocrisy of it all....stinks to high heaven.
chrome-extension://mhjfbmdgcfjbbpaeojofohoefgiehjai/index.html

Its absolutely true that the biggest threat to poor blacks and poor people in general in these major cities, is this gang violence. It needs way more attention by those in power or its never going to end. Guliani did a good job in New York of saving lives by his stop and frisk policy, and he never should have been demonized by the left for saving lives.

However.. this thing that happened in Oklahoma was even worse if you dig in deep. African Americans there did have a powerful little economy rolling that was bound for generational wealth, and it was all erased basically in one foul swoop.
We are not a perfect country, but then as far as countries go.... we are one of the youngest who became the most powerful in a short amount of time. Unfortunately injustices and mistakes were bound to happen in that process, but we do correct our mistakes. There still isn't a better place to be due to our constitution and system of government. This thing in OK... never should have been ignored in the first place, I've heard and read about this many times before but it does seem odd that there never was compensation years ago.

I think they should receive compensation of some kind, but being old they are not going to have much time to reap much of the benefit. If there are reparations I believe they should come from the state of Oklahoma as well as the fed.
I think if a survivor of something like this is able to step forward, it should count for something. They should be given enough to pass on to their kids and grandkids. Im sort of scratching my head wondering why they didnt come forward earlier though, even when Obama was president for 8 years. I cant imagine his administration not giving these people a chance to talk.
I was wondering the same thing Yarddog.

I hope congress acts quickly on this due to the ages of the living victims...every day matters...hey, that should be a political slogan: Every Day Matters..that doesn't leave anyone out.
It leaves out the white victims of black crime which are far greater in numbers than black victims which the majority of were long ago....what we should be concerned about is what is happening today.....

Blacks always want to play the victim....when others in truth have suffered way more than they have.

No race on earth has been given more than the blacks have....and yet like a bunch of hogs they run back to the trough screaming more,more....no matter how much has been given to them and is being given to these feral savages.....they are never satisfied.

They constantly whine about how bad they got it here in America.....ever see any of them go back to da muddland?

Other than on vacation? What a bunch of hypocrites.

Would be interesting to hear about her life after her parents and siblings evacuated their home.
Census records may turn something up.

Reparations are up to the City of Tulsa to determine, maybe the state, not the Fed Gov.

https://www.amren.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/2005-Color-of-Crime-Report.pdf

Look at you....trying to belittle the Tulsa Massacre. Not surprising tho.

Forum List

Back