I don't know what to get.

The Irish Ram

LITTLE GIRL / Ram Tough
Apr 10, 2011
diagonally parked in a parallel universe
I need some help. I live in a remote area and using a cell phone wasn't an option. But then I got a 3G micro cell that made a huge difference. Now, ATT has stopped supporting it. I went on line to see what the next option was. There are a bunch of options and now I'm not sure what to get. And I can't use my cell phone at home until I figure out what to boost my signal with.
Anyone else have a similar issue?

I need some help. I live in a remote area and using a cell phone wasn't an option. But then I got a 3G micro cell that made a huge difference. Now, ATT has stopped supporting it. I went on line to see what the next option was. There are a bunch of options and now I'm not sure what to get. And I can't use my cell phone at home until I figure out what to boost my signal with.
if its a smart phone you can set up your wifi from your computer to use the phone

I recommend the iCan 3000. State of the art.

1613518116749.png

if its a smart phone you can set up your wifi from your computer to use the phone

I second this. WiFi sucks, the range is horrible. You need to stay within a dozen feet of the source, but repeaters are cheap and you can set up a mesh to give decent coverage in a house. Nearly all modern smart phones support WiFi calls.

You're supposed to be able to do that. I have the same situation as the OP, no cell signal anywhere nearby. I'm on the third phone in a row that was supposed to be able to connect via WiFi. Not one of them has been able to do so. Irish if you get something to work, please post what it is.

As far as the 3g/4g thing I was told over a year ago that 3g would be inoperative and so would the phone and I'd have to upgrade to 4g. I did, but it turns out that the nearest cell tower, which I could barely snag just enough to text on a cloudy day, is still 3g so now with the 4g phones I literally have to jump in the car and drive several miles to get to a proper cell signal.

I second this. WiFi sucks, the range is horrible. You need to stay within a dozen feet of the source, but repeaters are cheap and you can set up a mesh to give decent coverage in a house. Nearly all modern smart phones support WiFi calls.

I have it in my shop and can go up to 100" away from the router with no problem

You're supposed to be able to do that. I have the same situation as the OP, no cell signal anywhere nearby. I'm on the third phone in a row that was supposed to be able to connect via WiFi. Not one of them has been able to do so. Irish if you get something to work, please post what it is.

As far as the 3g/4g thing I was told over a year ago that 3g would be inoperative and so would the phone and I'd have to upgrade to 4g. I did, but it turns out that the nearest cell tower, which I could barely snag just enough to text on a cloudy day, is still 3g so now with the 4g phones I literally have to jump in the car and drive several miles to get to a proper cell signal.

I've never had a problem,,

View attachment 458051
my mom threw my I-CAN away-----65 years ago

I have it in my shop and can go up to 100" away from the router with no problem

I have not had that experience.

My parents house was insulated with an aluminum mesh product. Basically created a giant Faraday cage. I started using WiFi there and it worked as long as I was within a dozen feet of the Wifi router. But not any further. I bought some low cost Ubiquity Mesh node repeaters and put them all over the house, then I could roam normally.

Of course you can just do VOIP as well, since you need internet.

I use a wi-fi hot-spot transmitter for my cell phone and for when I used to use wi-fi on the gaming computer because they didn't come with wi-fi cards so I used USB adaptors, out here in the hills a signal can be hard to get....

View attachment 458051
Wasn't that renamed the iCant AtAll?

Of course you can just do VOIP as well, since you need internet.
I had Cox as my ISP and used a regular phone using VOIP for quite a while. It worked great.

Eventually I had to drop Cox because the signal became so intermittent that it would drop out 5 or 6 times a day. Cox Tech's were out 5 times but couldn't fix the problem.

Then Cox wanted to raise my monthly rate. I said sayonara.

Most likely your signal was terrible because old phones have terrible antennas. Newer phones and different brands will have better antennas then other brands.
I also noticed placement of my phone mattered a lot within the same room, test with signal strength apps or through download speed tests using different known improved bars per placement.

Most likely your signal was terrible because old phones have terrible antennas. Newer phones and different brands will have better antennas then other brands.
I also noticed placement of my phone mattered a lot within the same room, test with signal strength apps or through download speed tests using different known improved bars per placement.
when I was a kid (YEAH---LONG AGO) my grandmother had a TV----in an apartment in Bronx NY. In order to get reception----so us kids (the grandkids) could see the damned cartoons---she would walk around HOLDING the ATTENNA aloft

when I was a kid (YEAH---LONG AGO) my grandmother had a TV----in an apartment in Bronx NY. In order to get reception----so us kids (the grandkids) could see the damned cartoons---she would walk around HOLDING the ATTENNA aloft
That was me last year trying to get some half decent reception on my digital TV antenna at my off grid METAL ROOF cabin. *L*

You dont have Verizon where you are?
We've used Verizon for the last 25 years or longer and have never had a problem with connectivity.
Even in Kimble County Texas which is about as far out in the boonies as you can get.

Nope. Our only option is Frontier. We have to go outside to have a conversation without the call being dropped. We have 5G phones but 2 bars if we're lucky. Pain in the ass. I am going to have to get some kind of booster.

Nope. Our only option is Frontier. We have to go outside to have a conversation without the call being dropped. We have 5G phones but 2 bars if we're lucky. Pain in the ass. I am going to have to get some kind of booster.

Frontier is Verizon.

The FTC forced Verizon to divest from either the mobile or land line business. So the spun out Frontier.

New Topics

Forum List

Back