I friggin hate bahia grass

Well, I hate Bermuda grass more than I hate Bahia but I have them both and crab grass too as well as a few others....one that is tiny with spiney spurs that dies in late spring but leaves the spurs behind to grow again next year!

Well, I hate Bermuda grass more than I hate Bahia but I have them both and crab grass too as well as a few others....one that is tiny with spiney spurs that dies in late spring but leaves the spurs behind to grow again next year!
Flat and drop shaped with a real sharp point, about a sixteenth of an inch across?

Flat and drop shaped with a real sharp point, about a sixteenth of an inch across?

I think that's right. I asked on another board and then I found it myself but I can't remember so I'll have to go back to that board and try to find my thread.

I found it...burweed! Here is a link with pictures, take a look at the pic with the pot & red saucer....that's what mine looks like!

http://www.kingcounty.gov/environme...xious-weeds/weed-identification/lawnweed.aspx

Last edited:
I forgot to post what our local county extension agent said about it in our newspaper. This article appeared about 2 months ago and my comment is also in the quote...from the other board.

We had a 2 column article in our local paper yesterday written by the head guy in our extension office....on this subject. So we are not alone with the outbreak here locally.

He is calling it "burweed", soliva sessilis. Seems it germinates during the winter, very small & unnoticeable and then can spread wide as spring gets warmer. It dies in late spring but the "burrs" have already been made & will reseed again next winter. He suggested a POST emergent applied in Dec., Jan. & Feb.....and then gave a bunch of chemicals that could be used in Feb. & March to combat it. It's supposed to die off in late spring.

I don't smoke any versions of that grass....is it harsh?? Kentucky Blue grass is my fav...

more than I hate crab grass.

You could take a handful of bahia seed and scatter it on the moon, that sucker would be covered in a month. No moisture or atmosphere required.

What you have here is a grass that loves hot, dry climates...hot humid climates, hot rainy climates....
Now you can mow this stuff, it will look ok for about six or seven hours...
Don't even think about putting out a sprinker.

If there is any moisture in the soil at all, a foot high seed head will appear overnight, by noon it will be knee high.

The stuff is tough. Once you get it started you will wear a mower blade out in a season. I'm not talking mowing several acres, your normal suburban size lawn. The blade will not just be dull...It will be as worn as if you had been mowing gravel all summer.

grass_BahiaGrass%5B1%5D-2.jpg

Last edited:
I don't smoke any versions of that grass....is it harsh?? Kentucky Blue grass is my fav...

more than I hate crab grass.

You could take a handful of bahia seed and scatter it on the moon, that sucker would be covered in a month. No moisture or atmosphere required.

What you have here is a grass that loves hot, dry climates...hot humid climates, hot rainy climates....
Now you can mow this stuff, it will look ok for about six or seven hours...
Don't even think about putting out a sprinker.

If there is any moisture in the soil at all, a foot high seed head will appear overnight, by noon it will be knee high.

The stuff is tough. Once you get it started you will wear a mower blade out in a season. I'm not talking mowing several acres, your normal suburban size lawn. The blade will not just be dull...It will be as worn as if you had been mowing gravel all summer.

I can relate to that!!! :D Not sure if I mentioned it or not, but we have a 5 +/- acre front yard...DH mows about half, sharpens his blades and then mows the rest. I have 2 areas that I mow that are FULL of protruding pine tree roots...I slow down, lift the deck, go over the root, drop the deck, proceed...so between those roots that I shave off once in awhile and the Bahia...my blades get sharpened between sections too! We usually start every season with at least 2 sets of blades for each tractor/mower...we get them at a farm supply store...cheaper than any dealer! Agri Supply.

I forgot to post what our local county extension agent said about it in our newspaper. This article appeared about 2 months ago and my comment is also in the quote...from the other board.

We had a 2 column article in our local paper yesterday written by the head guy in our extension office....on this subject. So we are not alone with the outbreak here locally.

He is calling it "burweed", soliva sessilis. Seems it germinates during the winter, very small & unnoticeable and then can spread wide as spring gets warmer. It dies in late spring but the "burrs" have already been made & will reseed again next winter. He suggested a POST emergent applied in Dec., Jan. & Feb.....and then gave a bunch of chemicals that could be used in Feb. & March to combat it. It's supposed to die off in late spring.
Yep, that's it.
Soliva_sessilis,I_TQBH9451.jpg

20p

Forum List

Back