I got wood today

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
TMI?

Some Burmese Blackwood and some Purpleheart...

20200610_195851(1).jpg

I'm going to make a couple of these from 1095

Screenshot_2020-05-11-19-22-51(1).png

I'm thinking about doing a matched set each with opposite sides Purpleheart and Blackwood with mosaic pins.

TMI?

Some Burmese Blackwood and some Purpleheart...

View attachment 348636

I'm going to make a couple of these from 1095

View attachment 348640

I'm thinking about doing a matched set each with opposite sides Purpleheart and Blackwood with mosaic pins.
Wow! Beautiful. Just today, Missourian, I was introduced to the purpleheart wood ( very hardwood from South America ) and I fell in love with the color. Dave makes intricate designs with that wood and showed the objects to me. Large and wide spoon/love ( as he calls them ) carvings with symmetrical circle designs. He has a workbench and showed me the tools and how he creates these great objects out of the most gorgeous wood I have yet to see. What are the chances I would come here and find your post involving purpleheart? It is very sensual-looking for me. I can't wait until you put up the finished project! :71:

Peltogyne, commonly known as purpleheart, amendoim, violet wood, amaranth and other local names (often referencing the colour of the wood) is a genus of 23 species of flowering plants in the family Fabaceae; native to tropical rainforests of Central and South America; from Guerrero, Mexico, through Central America.

I always wondered what the best woods for making guitars would be besides mahogany and maple. In our woods we have some pomiferas or osage orange trees ( horse apples)...super dense heavy wood that has a bright orange-wellow color. I believe it's what a lot of the area natives used to make bows and other things.
1592232974035.png

That's the stuff man, awesome wood no matter snakewood, amourette or what anyone calls it. Amourette I would say is French and "love-amour" and who wouldn't.

I bought many knives from France when I was a dealer, as many as I could in amourette. My fav was "Fontenille Pautaud" (Dalia could correct the spelling) I dealt direct with Giles. Because I am not French he made it VERY clear, I pay twice what he charges his "countrymen" and I have a $1000 minimum (back 2001) Honest, clear, patriotic I loved dealing with him, especially "Corsican Vendettas" $1000 minimum? Order overseas, alot, stuff you can't get here etc I sold them fast as I could get them at a very good profit.

Only took me 11 months to get back to this project...

Now I don't know if I like it...

Looks kinda weird now that it is mostly shaped.

Blade too long? Too flat?

I'm really seriously considering removing the underside of the tip...

Shawnee_b HereWeGoAgain miketx

Images didn't make it...see next post...

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back