I-Mac Gone South?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
My home computer has all-of-a-sudden gotten so slow that is nearly un-usable. The Wi-Fi network seems to be fine...other computers in the house working normally.

I have the impression (and hope) that it is something simple. If this were my PC I would "de-frag" or something as a first step, but with this Mac I have no ideas.

Any thoughts? I guess I could take it to the Apple Store for a tune up but I thought I'd throw this out for any Mac-savvy person to suggest something.

My home computer has all-of-a-sudden gotten so slow that is nearly un-usable. The Wi-Fi network seems to be fine...other computers in the house working normally.

I have the impression (and hope) that it is something simple. If this were my PC I would "de-frag" or something as a first step, but with this Mac I have no ideas.

Any thoughts? I guess I could take it to the Apple Store for a tune up but I thought I'd throw this out for any Mac-savvy person to suggest something.
"de-fragging" is a hard drive topic, not an OS topic. You can try it but if you have a SSD it makes no actual sense. And it does not explain why your computer got slow suddenly. Maybe the cooling is failing, it can happen when the cooler inside is full of dust. This can cause serious limitations as the CPU will throttle down for temperature reasons. But it also could be something else. Too less information here.

Forum List

Back