I really thought my dog was dying

EvilCat Breath

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2016
Henry had a runny nose. I was concerned and took him to an emergency vet.

First thing when I walked through the door is they wanted $1,400 for a complete workup. Ah no.

Then they wanted.$300 for chest x rays. I asked the doctor what she heard listening to his chest. Was there wheezing or congestion? No. Nothing like that. So, no chest xrays.
What's the real diagnosis? He had an infection in a fistula in his nasal passage. I got some liquid clavamox and went home. The clavamox made him lethargic but that was an expected side effect. It got worse. He could not stand. His eyes were glassy and he could not hold his head up. His breathing became rapid and shallow. I thought he was dying. It turned out to be the clavamox. It's a very common antibiotic in pill form. I would not trust the liquid ever again.

Poor baby. I hope he's back to his normal self soon.

What an ordeal for both of you. The cure was worse than the ailment! I hope Henry is back to himself soon.

This reminds me of what happened once with my Lily. She tore her dew claw pretty much in half lengthwise. I didn't want to cut it off because it would be past the quick and would hurt and bleed. Off to the vet we go. They fixed it up and gave Lily a morphine based drug for the pain. Morphine for a nail injury! She threw up and had diarrhea in the car on the way home and twice again once we got home.

Oops, said the vet. Some dogs have a reaction to morphine.

First thing when I walked through the door is they wanted $1,400 for a complete workup. Ah no.

Then they wanted.$300 for chest x rays. I asked the doctor what she heard listening to his chest. Was there wheezing or congestion? No. Nothing like that. So, no chest xrays.
What's the real diagnosis? He had an infection in a fistula in his nasal passage. I got some liquid clavamox and went home. The clavamox made him lethargic but that was an expected side effect. It got worse. He could not stand. His eyes were glassy and he could not hold his head up. His breathing became rapid and shallow. I thought he was dying. It turned out to be the clavamox. It's a very common antibiotic in pill form. I would not trust the liquid ever again.
How is she now? I almost lost my dog today. There is an ice fishing tournament going on and I took my dog out on the lake. I got distracted for a minute but then noticed my dog was nowhere to be seen. But he could have been on the other side of an ice chante. There were a million of them. So I whistled and and waited a minute and whistled again. Nothing. So at least two minutes had went by.

Something told me to walk where there was just ice. Why walk that way he’s clearly not there right? Well i start walking and suddenly I see him struggling to get out of the hole he fell into. At least 3 or 4 minutes he was in the water struggling to get out. I wonder how much longer he had in him.

So I snatch him out and realize he’s still not safe because of hypothermia so I run him home as fast as I can the whole time not knowing if hes going to be ok. He was. Tough dog

What an ordeal for both of you. The cure was worse than the ailment! I hope Henry is back to himself soon.

This reminds me of what happened once with my Lily. She tore her dew claw pretty much in half lengthwise. I didn't want to cut it off because it would be past the quick and would hurt and bleed. Off to the vet we go. They fixed it up and gave Lily a morphine based drug for the pain. Morphine for a nail injury! She threw up and had diarrhea in the car on the way home and twice again once we got home.

Oops, said the vet. Some dogs have a reaction to morphine.
She was feeling good

How is she now? I almost lost my dog today. There is an ice fishing tournament going on and I took my dog out on the lake. I got distracted for a minute but then noticed my dog was nowhere to be seen. But he could have been on the other side of an ice chante. There were a million of them. So I whistled and and waited a minute and whistled again. Nothing. So at least two minutes had went by.

Something told me to walk where there was just ice. Why walk that way he’s clearly not there right? Well i start walking and suddenly I see him struggling to get out of the hole he fell into. At least 3 or 4 minutes he was in the water struggling to get out. I wonder how much longer he had in him.

So I snatch him out and realize he’s still not safe because of hypothermia so I run him home as fast as I can the whole time not knowing if hes going to be ok. He was. Tough dog
Shortly after I posted this my little Henry had a massive stroke and passed away. We only had a year together. I tried to make it the best year of his life. I spoiled him righteously.

Shortly after I posted this my little Henry had a massive stroke and passed away. We only had a year together. I tried to make it the best year of his life. I spoiled him righteously.

Sorry to hear that.:(

That’s so sad. Are you getting another one?

PS. I went to the dog park today. Another woman there said her dog fell through the ic3 and almost died too. She said someone else saw it happen and fished her dog out. like me she didn’t see it happen. Omg. So scary. They’re like our babies.

That’s so sad. Are you getting another one?

PS. I went to the dog park today. Another woman there said her dog fell through the ic3 and almost died too. She said someone else saw it happen and fished her dog out. like me she didn’t see it happen. Omg. So scary. They’re like our babies.
I would like to but I'm living with my son and daughter-in-law. They forbid animals not their iwn two cats. I hope to have dogs in the future.

Forum List

Back