I wasn't cut out to be no Injun

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
So I bought this vintage recurve bow a couple weeks ago, and a new string came in the mail today. The bow is a laminated wood Darton Ranger SuperFlite from the 60's or early 70's. It has a 58" length and a 42 pound draw weight.

I have a shitload of arrows I've bought up over the years for some reason. But every time I shoot one, it disappears never to be seen again. Too many hills, rocks, trees, brush, and whatever else eats arrows.

I suck at Injun shit. Guess I'll be a cowboy instead.

bow1.jpg

bow2.jpg

bow3.jpg

bow4.jpg

bow5.jpg

This past weekend on a popular local radio show, they did a segment on this.

This is your solution to your lost arrow problem. Your arrows are attached to fishing line. :heehee:

So I bought this vintage recurve bow a couple weeks ago, and a new string came in the mail today. The bow is a laminated wood Darton Ranger SuperFlite from the 60's or early 70's. It has a 58" length and a 42 pound draw weight.

I have a shitload of arrows I've bought up over the years for some reason. But every time I shoot one, it disappears never to be seen again. Too many hills, rocks, trees, brush, and whatever else eats arrows.

View attachment 493104

View attachment 493105

View attachment 493106

View attachment 493107

View attachment 493108

The darn bowstring always whacked my arm and hurt like the dickens.

View attachment 493104

View attachment 493105

View attachment 493106

View attachment 493107

View attachment 493108

Maybe that explains this thing I found in my box of Injun shit:

012.JPG

013.JPG

View attachment 493104

View attachment 493105

View attachment 493106

View attachment 493107

View attachment 493108
I know somebody who uses a metal detector to find the arrows. He also shoots up against an earth bank, which apparently helps.

View attachment 493104

View attachment 493105

View attachment 493106

View attachment 493107

View attachment 493108

Maybe that explains this thing I found in my box of Injun shit:

View attachment 493121

View attachment 493122

Almost looks like an early cup......

View attachment 493104

View attachment 493105

View attachment 493106

View attachment 493107

View attachment 493108
looks a great deal like My father's bow. He won two Northern California jr. Championships. My Grandfather won N. Califorina Championship three years in a row.

Last edited:

View attachment 493104

View attachment 493105

View attachment 493106

View attachment 493107

View attachment 493108
looks a great deal like My father's bow. He won two Northern California jr. Championships. My Grandfather won N. Calorina Championship three years in a row.

Just give me my 30/30

View attachment 493104

View attachment 493105

View attachment 493106

View attachment 493107

View attachment 493108
looks a great deal like My father's bow. He won two Northern California jr. Championships. My Grandfather won N. Califorina Championship three years in a row.

He must have been party Injun. I can't hit shit with it.

View attachment 493104

View attachment 493105

View attachment 493106

View attachment 493107

View attachment 493108

He must have been party Injun. I can't hit shit with it.
Our family has a small touch of American Indian in us, but nothing to really talk about. My Grandfather just really loved archery. The legend (as told by My Dad) is that he even helped work on a few western movie sets to teach proper form for shooting from a horse. Hard to believe that, though as My Grandfather was a welder by trade.

Still, My Dad was pretty good at it. Showed Me a few tricks when I was young. I can still shoot decently.

View attachment 493104

View attachment 493105

View attachment 493106

View attachment 493107

View attachment 493108
Don't give up. Bow extends hunting season. Drop rate of arrow is the hardest thing to get. You are most likely under or over target.. stack bails of hey place target in middle of about six foot stack. Start close and work your way back from target. If my 5 foot 2 100 pound girl friend can take down a deer with a bow you can also. Also you tube videos on releasing arrows.

View attachment 493104

View attachment 493105

View attachment 493106

View attachment 493107

View attachment 493108
Don't give up. Bow extends hunting season. Drop rate of arrow is the hardest thing to get. You are most likely under or over target.. stack bails of hey place target in middle of about six foot stack. Start close and work your way back from target. If my 5 foot 2 100 pound girl friend can take down a deer with a bow you can also. Also you tube videos on releasing arrows.

I'm not much of a hunter, but bow season is like a religion here. Of course, most bow hunters are using those $1500 compound bows.

View attachment 493104

View attachment 493105

View attachment 493106

View attachment 493107

View attachment 493108

I'm not much of a hunter, but bow season is like a religion here. Of course, most bow hunters are using those $1500 compound bows.
Ya, at least 75 pound compound bow is what ya need to be effective in the field. Don't give up on bow even target shooting is a blast. Like anything the correct type of practice you will improve rapidly. If all you are going to do is target shoot bow is cheaper to play with than gun in long run. Hunting arrows are not cheap. Ya wanna hit what you are aiming at with those. Any excuse I can find to be outside I will take it. No place better to be with good friends than woods, lake or golf course. I am not much of a sit around and talk guy. Does not hurt that I know a couple of attractive young ladies that are in to shooting bow. I sure do like to see them in action. Wish I had learned to ride horse I know a bunch of young ladies into that.

View attachment 493104

View attachment 493105

View attachment 493106

View attachment 493107

View attachment 493108
looks a great deal like My father's bow. He won two Northern California jr. Championships. My Grandfather won N. Calorina Championship three years in a row.

Just give me my 30/30
Mini 14

View attachment 493104

View attachment 493105

View attachment 493106

View attachment 493107

View attachment 493108

Just give me my 30/30
Mini 14

esvjJKN.jpg

View attachment 493104

View attachment 493105

View attachment 493106

View attachment 493107

View attachment 493108
Wanna sell it?

View attachment 493104

View attachment 493105

View attachment 493106

View attachment 493107

View attachment 493108
Wanna sell it?

I'll probably dick around with it for awhile, since I have more arrows to lose.

Forum List

Back