I woke up to a flat tire this morning

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
And I can't figure out why it was flat.

I jacked it up, pumped it up, sprayed it over nice and good with soapy water.

Nothing. I sprayed the seal, too.

Didn't see any screws or nails in it either.

When I pulled it from my evening cruise on the winding back roads yesterday the tire was fine.

Tires are less than two years old. Not many miles on them. Less than a thousand.

Ironically, I did top off the air yesterday prior to heading out on my cruise.

Only thing I can think of is maybe a valve stem pin is sticking out too far and maybe I tightened the cap down too far and it let the air out?

That's kind of out there, though. Highly doubtful, in my view.

I put a plug kit and a small compressor in the car just to have, in case I end up flat some place.

It's kind of an annoying flat, though, since I can't figure out how it happened. It was pretty sudden in that it happened overnight. I've never had a slow leak or anything from them.

Those tires are over two hundred Federal Reserve Notes a pop, too, so I'm hoping it was just something to do with how I put the cap back onto the valve stem.

Anyone ever have that happen where your tire goes flat for no apparent reason? Surely, there must be a reaso nit went flat. I can't find it, though. And it's held air since I refilled it. That was 5 AM this morning when I got up and went out to feed the birds and noticed it.

Maybe the valve?

That's kind of what I was thinking. Seems like it's holding air after pumping it back up, though

There's some really tiny rubber o-rings insde the cap that fall out when I remove them. Which I did di yesterday before heading out fora drive.

They're kind of a pain to get back in all the way. So I was thinking maybe that one wasn't all the way in or maybe sideways and maybe pushed in on the valve pin of the stem when I tightened the cap back down.

Thats a stretch, but all I can think of. They're really soft, though.

When I pulled it from my evening cruise on the winding back roads yesterday the tire was fine.

Tires are less than two years old. Not many miles on them. Less than a thousand.

Only thing I can think of is maybe a valve stem pin is sticking out too far and maybe I tightened the cap down too far and it let the air out?

I put a plug kit and a small compressor in the car just to have, in case I end up flat some place.

It's kind of an annoying flat, though, since I can't figure out how it happened. It was pretty sudden in that it happened overnight. I've never had a slow leak or anything from them.

Those tires are over two hundred Federal Reserve Notes a pop, too, so I'm hoping it was just something to do with how I put the cap back onto the valve stem.

Anyone ever have that happen where your tire goes flat for no apparent reason? Surely, there must be a reaso nit went flat. I can't find it, though. And it's held air since I refilled it. That was 5 AM this morning when I got up and went out to feed the birds and noticed it.
Some asshole let the air out.

...I had that problem one time ....kind of new tires..took it back to the place I bought them at ...they said they could find nothing wrong.....hasn't been flat since ....maybe jackass kids

I thought about that, too.

I told the neighbor he needed to start picking his dog shit up the other day. He's a young punk. Power drinker. Noisy. Riff-raff type. Lots of riff-raffy traffic in and out. Apparently his parents bought him the house to get rid of him.

I really hope that isn't the case. I don't even thnk he knows I'm on the board of the HOA.

...I had that problem one time ....kind of new tires..took it back to the place I bought them at ...they said they could find nothing wrong.....hasn't been flat since ....maybe jackass kids

I thought about that, too.

I told the neighbor he needed to start picking his dog shit up the other day. He's a young punk. Power drinker. Noisy. Riff-raff type. Lots of riff-rafy traffic i nand out. Apparently his parents bought him the house to get rid of him.

I really hope that isn't the case. I donlt even thnk he knows I'm on the board of the HOA.
..that's why I want to get a camera for the outside

Maybe the valve?
Second.

I've topped off a tire and the valve core didn't reseat...a little grain of dirt or something held it open just enough to leak. Refilling it the next day blows the dirt out and it seats properly and it doesn't leak again.

Oh, good. I hope that's it. Fingers crossed. Thanks for chiming in. That makes me feel a little better about it.

I have a left rear flat, Org Goodyear run flats. Not bad though, only flat on the bottom. I got about 46K on the C5 Corvette Anniversary and I think they are original! It will get 4 new sneeks soon. Think maybe Michelin runflats this time, prob about $400 each then mounting. The Hankooks are less and great reviews. Mine went flat over time sitting. I have seen tires leak in one position then not in another. Debris in the bead maybe?

Yep ended up being Valve stem in my case.

/——/ Yes, it was a loose valve stem. Easy fix.

I'll take it around to the tire shop next week some time and ask him to check out the valve stem, then. Seems like that's the popular view on it from others wit hexperiemce with it and I thought it might be related to that myself initially.

I've gotta go in for radiation tomorrow, so need to stay away from people for a few days. I won't be going anywhere anyway.

Thanks, all.

Forum List

Back